whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
So that costly 15,000 mile service where most of the cost is for a brake fluid change is now much less expensive?
Apparently the front and back braking systems are on separate loops (from what I read the front hose failure does not fail the rear mechanical brakes). Perhaps they can flush only the front loop when replacing the hoses?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
From Autocar:
“We conducted some internal quality analysis and determined that some failure can occur in some special cases,” said Taycan project manager Kevin Giek. “Safety is our top priority, so we decided we needed to optimise the brake hoses on the front axle and decided on a new construction.

“We have redesigned the hoses with new length, braking points and a new kinematic, and that makes us very sure that we won’t see this failure any more.”

Porsche will write to owners inviting them to bring their cars to dealerships to have the replacement hose fitted. The work will take around two hours, will be done free of charge and won't affect the warranty.

Taycans that haven’t developed the fault remain safe to drive, said Giek: “If a customer gets the warning, they should really heed it and ask for a date and maintenance. But the rest work fine.”

Giek said the issue has been identified on less than 1% of all Taycan models sold globally since it launched in 2020, but he added: “For us, this is enough to react. Most of the cases happen when the car is standing, and then you get the yellow warning message mostly when you are not driving the car.” Cases have been spread across a number of different countries, with a handful in the UK.

Porsche conducted extensive testing of the Taycan before its launch in 2020, and again with the recently launched facelifted model, but Giek said in more than five million miles of testing, it hadn’t seen a single example of the braking issue during that period.

He added: “The first complaints we got made us ask: ‘What could have happened?’ So we did a really deep dive quality analysis on a few of the cases. We are not at the point where we can only say there’s one market affected, or only a small number, so we decided to make a new robust design even if it’s not needed.”

Porsche recalls all Taycan models globally for brake fix

D00

First Name
Doo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne, Much Missed 911 C4S
Country flag
Having lived in the world of innovative design, complex manufacturing, systems integration and supply chain management, I am not ready to indict & condemn Porsche as a brand over this.
Brake hoses were innovated decades ago?

It would be interesting to know if the hoses here are a reused VAG/Skoda/Seat part/length or distinct to etron/Taycan.

The number and range of recalls and the organisation’s flaky handling of these issues affects my confidence in the quality of the brand. My Taycan is my 4th Porsche. As much as I love the brand and how the car looks and drives, I’m not sure my heart would overrule my head sufficiently to buy another. I definitely wouldn’t buy another gen 1 new model.

Last edited:

D00

First Name
Doo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
From Autocar:
“We conducted some internal quality analysis and determined that some failure can occur in some special cases,” said Taycan project manager Kevin Giek. “Safety is our top priority, so we decided we needed to optimise the brake hoses on the front axle and decided on a new construction.

“We have redesigned the hoses with new length, braking points and a new kinematic, and that makes us very sure that we won’t see this failure any more.”

Porsche will write to owners inviting them to bring their cars to dealerships to have the replacement hose fitted. The work will take around two hours, will be done free of charge and won't affect the warranty.

Taycans that haven’t developed the fault remain safe to drive, said Giek: “If a customer gets the warning, they should really heed it and ask for a date and maintenance. But the rest work fine.”

Giek said the issue has been identified on less than 1% of all Taycan models sold globally since it launched in 2020, but he added: “For us, this is enough to react. Most of the cases happen when the car is standing, and then you get the yellow warning message mostly when you are not driving the car.” Cases have been spread across a number of different countries, with a handful in the UK.

Porsche conducted extensive testing of the Taycan before its launch in 2020, and again with the recently launched facelifted model, but Giek said in more than five million miles of testing, it hadn’t seen a single example of the braking issue during that period.

He added: “The first complaints we got made us ask: ‘What could have happened?’ So we did a really deep dive quality analysis on a few of the cases. We are not at the point where we can only say there’s one market affected, or only a small number, so we decided to make a new robust design even if it’s not needed.”

Porsche recalls all Taycan models globally for brake fix
The UK media reports appear inconsistent with Porsche GB’s position relayed elsewhere here that this recall affects only 365 specific cars?

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
The UK media reports appear inconsistent with Porsche GB’s position relayed elsewhere here that this recall affects only 365 specific cars?
I’m guessing an issue occurred in 365 cars so far (1%) but everybody is getting new hoses.

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Apparently the front and back braking systems are on separate loops (from what I read the front hose failure does not fail the rear mechanical brakes). Perhaps they can flush only the front loop when replacing the hoses?
As with all modern cars there are two separate hydraulic circuits such that if there is a leak in one, the pedal will go much further down, but the other circuit will still brake. In addition there is a separate, electro-mechanical, emergency drum brake in the rear that you activate by holding down the park button.

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST (MY24)
Country flag
I’m guessing an issue occurred in 365 cars so far (1%) but everybody is getting new hoses.
This would be my interpretation. It’s a PR way to make it look like a small issue! Likely all cars need the replacement but they’d only expect up to 365 to have a potential issue based on a predicted rate of failure.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
brake systems are a must-not-fail in any foreseeable fashion element of a vehicle - problems in this space should be addressed fleet wide…

Kudo's to Porsche for stepping up - this is the right thing to do - +1 point for House Porsche

bend radius problems with a variable suspension seem to me to be a foreseeable problem and not a "new" issue with Taycan - so I'm still disappointed that this is an issue at all…but the failure rate is low enough that I will take Porsche's statements at face value (no matter how self serving the corporate messaging is)…

I'm not sure I'm ready to "lose confidence" in Porsche over this - but a combination of factors with Taycan roll out issues has definitely brought some reality to me personally…I will personally take no-sh*t from anyone in the future - and this experience and my Taycan ownership firmly places my opinion about vehicle quality in to the following category/quote:
please don't spout nonsense that your favorite car brand is better than my favorite car brand - they ALL. have problem if you dig deeply enough and can all be subject to embarrassing snafu's - if you believe your brand or your purchase is somehow immune to potential problems - well then you're simply blind or not paying attention - that's not a reason to avoid purchase, but let's not pretend you're making a 'better" decision vs. anyone else - all these vendors subject to the same rules of high volume world wide manufacturing of complex mechanical systems - and they all have something for which they should be embarrasses - frankly I'm amazed there are not more problems - but the myth of the problem free brand, is just that it's a myth and purely propaganda for those that need to rationalize their purchase.
for one I still believe Prosche to be better than most, but less dispense with any claims of immunity…it's simply not feasible in a modern world.

D00

First Name
Doo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
brake systems are a must-not-fail in any foreseeable fashion element of a vehicle - problems in this space should be addressed fleet wide…

Kudo's to Porsche for stepping up - this is the right thing to do - +1 point for House Porsche

bend radius problems with a variable suspension seem to me to be a foreseeable problem and not a "new" issue with Taycan - so I'm still disappointed that this is an issue at all…but the failure rate is low enough that I will take Porsche's statements at face value (no matter how self serving the corporate messaging is)…

I'm not sure I'm ready to "lose confidence" in Porsche over this - but a combination of factors with Taycan roll out issues has definitely brought some reality to me personally…I will personally take no-sh*t from anyone in the future - and this experience and my Taycan ownership firmly places my opinion about vehicle quality in to the following category/quote:

for one I still believe Prosche to be better than most, but less dispense with any claims of immunity…it's simply not feasible in a modern world.
No Kudos is due. They’re satisfying a legislative responsibility. They don’t have a choice over whether they step up.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
No Kudos is due. They’re satisfying a legislative responsibility. They don’t have a choice over whether they step up.
I only gave them 1 point :p

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I only gave them 1 point :p
So I take my wife hiking for our anniversary at Smith Rock and the John fossil beds in Oregon (she always wanted to go there).

There are multiple trails, but I know she wants to do Misery Ridge. We do Misery Ridge.

We stay at a very nice hotel.

We eat at excellent restaurants.

I got one point.

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
<conjecture> If the problem is indeed the stress at the fitting-hose pinch on the suspension side, and Porsche built a "first article" with that (cosmetic?) spring on the hose, that hides the view of the stress point. With the spring there, it looks good. If that pinch is indeed the issue, a "vice grip garage" fix would be to bend the bracket there to align the hose fitting with how the hose wants to exit. </conjecture>

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
So I take my wife hiking for our anniversary at Smith Rock and the John fossil beds in Oregon (she always wanted to go there).

There are multiple trails, but I know she wants to do Misery Ridge. We do Misery Ridge.

We stay at a very nice hotel.

We eat at excellent restaurants.

I got one point.
Eventually you'll get back to zero! :CWL:
Sponsored