Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
March 20, 2024 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 24V217000
High-Voltage Batteries May Short Circuit
A short circuit in the battery increases the risk of a fire.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 24V217000

Manufacturer Porsche Cars North America, Inc.

Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Potential Number of Units Affected 749

Summary

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (Porsche) is recalling certain 2021-2024 Taycan, 2020-2024 Taycan 4S, Taycan Turbo, 2021-2023 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo, 2022-2023 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo, 2023 Taycan Turbo Cross Turismo, 2022-2024 Taycan GTS, Taycan GTS Sport Turismo, and 2020-2023 Taycan Turbo S vehicles.

The high-voltage battery may experience a short circuit within the battery modules.

Remedy

Owners are advised to only charge their vehicles to a maximum of 80% battery capacity until the repair has been completed. Dealers will analyze the battery data and replace the high-voltage battery modules as necessary, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed May 17, 2024. Owners may contact Porsche customer service at 1-800-767-7243. Porsche's number for this recall is <ARA5>.

Description of the Defect : Certain Taycan high-voltage batteries experience short circuits within the battery modules, which can lead to thermal events and in some cases fires.

Description of the Safety Risk : A short circuit in the high-voltage battery module can increase the risk of a
thermal event.

Description of the Cause : The root cause analysis suggests that production issues in high-voltage battery
modules can increase the risk of internal short circuits.
Identification of Any Warning that can Occur : There are no warnings.

Chronology :
In 2021 Porsche became aware of a report of a single vehicle battery fire that occurred shortly after charging.
Porsche investigated this incident and began obtaining comparable undamaged batteries from the field for
analysis. In 2023, Porsche became aware of further instances of battery fires in Taycan vehicles after charging.
Therefore, although the root cause analysis was still ongoing, on 6 December 2023 Porsche determined that a
safety-related defect exists in the identified vehicles (manufacturer recall identification code APB5). Porsche
continued investigating this issue together with the battery cell/module manufacturer, using in particular data analytics and hardware analyses. With this additional investigation and analyses, on 13 March 2024 Porsche determined that a safety-related defect exists in additional vehicles identified via data analytics and hardware analyses. As there are different batches of potentially affected Porsche Taycan vehicles which require different remedies, Porsche decided to conduct two different recalls on 13 March 2024 (manufacturer recall identification code ARA4 and ARA5): ARA4 applies to a vehicle population where Porsche has sufficient vehicle battery data. ARA5 applies to a vehicle population where Porsche does not or not yet have access to sufficient vehicle battery data.

Description of Remedy Program : As an interim remedy, the owner notification letter will advise that
affected vehicles should only be charged to a maximum of 80% of the battery capacity.
To determine the necessity for a possible HV battery module replacement, Porsche will obtain additional vehicle battery data (via dealer inspection, unless the customer activates over-the-air access to share sufficient vehicle battery data).
Once obtained, the data will be analyzed. Affected high-voltage battery modules will be replaced.
The owner notification letter will advise that Porsche offers a reimbursement for pre-notification remedies in accordance with 49 CFR §573.13.

How Remedy Component Differs from Recalled Component :
The vehicles were identified by data analytics based on latest root cause analyses to determine affected clusters in production. This report will be updated as necessary.
Replacement battery modules will be produced using improved cell production quality, as applicable.

Identify How/When Recall Condition was Corrected in Production : Vehicles produced after March 4, 2024 are not subject to this recall.
Planned owner notification date: May 17, 2024.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2024/RCLRPT-24V217-1217.PDF
Edited on May 17 to add TSB for dealers: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2024/RCRIT-24V217-5724.pdf
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: AV7

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Following, as my 2022 4S CT is in the shop right now for some HV battery issues. Maybe they can take their time 😬

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Identify How/When Recall Condition was Corrected in Production : Vehicles produced after March 4, 2024 are not subject to this recall.
So basically almost all of us are potentially affected?

OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So basically almost all of us are potentially affected?
No. Only Taycans included in the recalls are affected (at least according to the Porsche recall reports).
Below are numbers of Taycans in USA specified when the recalls were originally issued. (The numbers come from Porsche US recall reports.)
There are at least 3 separate recalls for Taycans entitled "High voltage batteries may short circuit":​
Campaign APB5 Dec 13, 2023 NHTSA 23V840000 205 units​
Campaign ARA4 Mar 20, 2024 NHTSA 24V215000 606 units​
Campaign ARA5 Mar 20, 2024 NHTSA 24V217000 749 units​

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Do I read this as my VIN of WP0AD2Y10PSA47211 being included in APB5?
Hard to say with them being non-sequential. I took delivery in November 22 so it seems like my car would be in that range.

Porsche Taycan Recall: High-Voltage Batteries May Short Circuit (ARA5) - March 20, 2024 Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 9.33.18 AM

OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
For APB5, the Porsche recall report said:
Porsche Taycan Recall: High-Voltage Batteries May Short Circuit (ARA5) - March 20, 2024 1715964506240-hf

For ARA4 and ARA5 planned owner notification date is May 17, 2024.
Dealers are notified earlier, so best to have dealer check VIN.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
For APB5, the Porsche recall report said:
1715964506240-hf.png

For ARA4 and ARA5 planned owner notification date is May 17, 2024.
Dealers are notified earlier, so best to have dealer check VIN.
I have not found any way to Check for recalls in France?? Or Europe?

Has anybody in Europe found a way to find out if your car is included in a recall, apart from when the dealer contacts you.

I am asking because the last time I brought my car to the dealer for a damage repair that they were guilty of, I asked for a Heater recall? Answer your car is not included. The day I was supposed to collect the car :”” OOH sorry we have this recall for a Heater and need another week!””

chun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020, Cayman GT4
Country flag
I have not found any way to Check for recalls in France?? Or Europe?

Has anybody in Europe found a way to find out if your car is included in a recall, apart from when the dealer contacts you.

I am asking because the last time I brought my car to the dealer for a damage repair that they were guilty of, I asked for a Heater recall? Answer your car is not included. The day I was supposed to collect the car :”” OOH sorry we have this recall for a Heater and need another week!””
It's not the dealer contacting you.

You will be informed directly by Porsche. In europe letters / email started being sent early May for ARA4.
You should have received it already if yours was included.

Dealers won't know if your car is included / not in a recall, until they run the Porsche diagnostic tool on the car.

Reactions: D00

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
It's not the dealer contacting you.

You will be informed directly by Porsche. In europe letters / email started being sent early May for ARA4.
You should have received it already if yours was included.

Dealers won't know if your car is included / not in a recall, until they run the Porsche diagnostic tool on the car.
Ok. Not sure how France works with this because I have never had any letter for any recall, even if there has been plenty of them performed by my dealer?

chun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020, Cayman GT4
Country flag
Ok. Not sure how France works with this because I have never had any letter for any recall, even if there has been plenty of them performed by my dealer?
Assuming you haven't changed your address, compared to the one you set up in your Porsche account / payment options, it should come. Otherwise, by email I bealive.

MrJones02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I was at the dealer today with my MY 2020 Turbo to make an appointment to get the heater recall done ... only things that were listed were WPN8 (reprogram PCM) and WPL8 (heater).
(europe)

OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
For APB5, latest Porsche report dated May 10, 2024, says planned owner notification date of May 28, 2024.
@DerekS

OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Do I read this as my VIN of WP0AD2Y10PSA47211 being included in APB5?
Hard to say with them being non-sequential. I took delivery in November 22 so it seems like my car would be in that range.

Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 9.33.18 AM.png
Unless your vin is the first or the last one mentioned above, note the ticked "Not sequential" checkbox.