Recall: High Voltage Battery May Short Circuit APB5 (2021-23) - December 13, 2023

Onyxta123

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I posted about this in another thread but the short version is that, yes, my car is currently at the dealership for this recall. I took it in on June 3rd and was told the repair would take 4 weeks. At the 3 week mark I called for an update and was told that the battery was shipped to the repair facility, in my case Oklahoma City, sometime in week 2. That means around 10 days passed before it was sent off. I was told it would be 4-5 weeks from that date before the battery would be returned and then, of course, it must be reinstalled. Realistically, I'm looking at around 2 months without the car.

I think it's very misleading for the letter to say that the repair will take two days, which clearly does not include the battery turnaround time. The obvious implication is that the customer will have their vehicle back in a much shorter time frame than is actually the case.
Thanks for the update. This is what I was worried about. The letter made it clear that it could take longer than two days, but Porsche clearly isn't very forthcoming about the actual amount of time it could take to resolve the issue. I hope the dealer provided you with a loaner vehicle in the meantime? Do you know if you're car is stored in the service bay or out in the elements in the dealer lot?
Sponsored

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Do you know if your car is stored in the service bay or out in the elements in the dealer lot?
I can't see them occupying a service bay for weeks/months while waiting on a battery, especially since the TSB explicitly says the car can be moved after the battery removal.

Those bays are money-generators.

Onyxta123

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I can't see them occupying a service bay for weeks/months while waiting on a battery, especially since the TSB explicitly says the car can be moved after the battery removal.

Hopefully they have an indoor space to store these cars, but I'm not holding my breath...

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I gotta be honest, if my car is affected and it's out of commission for weeks to months, I might just be done with this thing.

I keep envying my wife's Model 3 for a variety of reasons:

- Software updates are frequent, AT HOME, and fun.
- The radio ALWAYS works.
- The car recognizes me by my phone and I don't have to use a separate fob.
- When I put the car in park the seat and wheel automatically move to a position I can get out, and automatically revert when I get in. (I have to manually use presets 2 and 3 on my door for this, every single time.)
- The charging network is plentiful and drama free.
- Repairs are way more reasonable (I'm still stinging from the 16K roof repair...and have purchased $500 in parts from suncoast to remediate damage that happened during.)

I love Porsches, but I'm firmly an EV driver now, and they only give me one option with a lot of tradeoffs. (The E-Macan is a non-starter for me.)
If your wife has the Model 3 Performance, she can also leave the Taycan in the rear view mirror at any light.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
If your wife has the Model 3 Performance, she can also leave the Taycan in the rear view mirror at any light.
It's the LR version, but I might get a performance if my Taycan is affected by the battery issue.

Having no car for a few months is just enough to piss me off enough to give up.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's the LR version, but I might get a performance if my Taycan is affected by the battery issue.

Having no car for a few months is just enough to piss me off enough to give up.
Porsche should be compensating if the car is MIA for months. I've heard of them covering lease payments for those months in addition to providing a loaner. I guess if you don't have a lease, you just price out what the lease price would be? If a car is new enough, it would probably fall under lemon laws if in the shop for more than 30 days. Personally if I had to leave my car for 6 months, I'd ask for an equivalent of better loaner (still worse than my car as it's missing my customizations, but ok, 6 months in a new fully loaded Turbo(S) CT I would agree to), or a buyback.

OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think it's very misleading for the letter to say that the repair will take two days, which clearly does not include the battery turnaround time. The obvious implication is that the customer will have their vehicle back in a much shorter time frame than is actually the case.
The Porsche notification letter to owners of recalled Taycans is posted on NHTSA website for NHTSA and the public to read.

The "repair will take two days" statement is deliberately misleading, when Porsche knows the battery will be removed, shipped to and from a repair facility across the country for repair, and then re-installed, all the while your car is sitting on a dealer lot.

Consider sharing your feedback about being misled by the Porsche recall notification letter as a complaint to NHTSA.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#vehicle

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Thanks for the update. This is what I was worried about. The letter made it clear that it could take longer than two days, but Porsche clearly isn't very forthcoming about the actual amount of time it could take to resolve the issue. I hope the dealer provided you with a loaner vehicle in the meantime? Do you know if you're car is stored in the service bay or out in the elements in the dealer lot?
The dealer did provide me with a nearly new base Macan. I asked where the car would be kept and I was told that the car would be stored inside in a service bay. I should probably ask for a picture...

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The dealer did provide me with a nearly new base Macan. I asked where the car would be kept and I was told that the car would be stored inside in a service bay. I should probably ask for a picture...
If it's going to be there a while, go visit it once a week - spend some quality time with sick car in the "hospital". ;) How long did they say it is expected to be there?

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Your post prompted me to call my contact at the dealership to confirm where my car is stored. Apparently, the battery removal was done in a separate area at a larger nearby service facility owned by this Porsche center. My contact (who I trust) received assurances from multiple sources that my Taycan was inside and covered. It is the first and only one (so far) to have this recall performed at this dealership.

Although the TSB states that the car can be moved after removing the battery I'm being told that this dealer chose to do the work in a place where the car could be conveniently and safely kept inside until the battery is reinstalled.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the car comes back to me repaired and undamaged.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If it's going to be there a while, go visit it once a week - spend some quality time with sick car in the "hospital". ;) How long did they say it is expected to be there?
I would have visited already if the dealership wasn't 45 miles away. ;)

The turnaround for the battery is supposedly 4-5 weeks. The car was in the dealer's hands for about 10 days before the battery got shipped. If the battery gets reinstalled the moment it arrives (right) and the car is returned to me the next day (sure) I will have been without if for a minimum of 6-7 weeks. I'm betting on two months.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would have visited already if the dealership wasn't 45 miles away. ;)

The turnaround for the battery is supposedly 4-5 weeks. The car was in the dealer's hands for about 10 days before the battery got shipped. If the battery gets reinstalled the moment it arrives (right) and the car is returned to me the next day (sure) I will have been without if for a minimum of 6-7 weeks. I'm betting on two months.
Ouch! Each dealer should have loaner batteries available for this. Probably cheaper than loaning even a Macan. Perhaps owners should start demanding higher compensation - someone paying $4,400 a month for a Turbo S lease (and paying $25K down payment) might be feeling ripped off having to drive a base Macan for that money instead (base Macan lease after same down payment would be significantly less). If Porsche were covering thousands of dollars per month of waiting, perhaps those loaner batteries would materialize quick.

Last edited:

Onyxta123

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Ouch! Each dealer should have loaner batteries available for this. Probably cheaper than loaning even a Macan. Perhaps owners should start demanding higher compensation - someone paying $4,400 a month for a Turbo S lease (and paying $25K down payment) might be feeling ripped off having to drive a base Macan for that money instead (base Macan lease after same down payment would be significantly less). If Porsche were covering thousands of dollars per month of waiting, perhaps those loaner batteries would materialize quick.
That's genius. This should be a thing dealers do as opposed to having owners wait months for repairs.

I sent a note to my dealer to call me back about scheduling an appointment. Not looking forward to it, but I guess it must be done at some point.
Sponsored