FrozenBerries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
@bn8959 does have a point: on -failed- batteries it would be incorrect to assume that only the safety valves blow during the test, it could be that the already-failing seal is damaged even further. Releasing the car to the cx after a test failure increases the chance of the subject of the recall. I do agree with your earlier comment on having batteries in stock/nearby before scheduling tests; that way there is a guaranteed max period for the car to be out of service.
It’s wild to me that it has to be a question for this type of preparation to be made. Fundamentally there is no care, courtesy or respect for people’s time or satisfaction, nor a semblance of logistical wherewithal in absence of this sorta thing. Is that a theme?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Also worth noting, that according to the letter, there should be progressive warnings before the battery catches on fire (of course it doesn't say how long before the yellow caution light, then the red warning, then the fire - could it be be seconds from yellow to on fire?)
The TSB indicates improper (probably low) insulation resistance measurements are a sign of possible or actual leakage. It is likely that those values trigger the yellow/red warning lights. Hopefully those triggers are set high enough to avoid potential fires. The TSB says there have been no "thermal events" caused by these leaks.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
It’s wild to me that it has to be a question for this type of preparation to be made. Fundamentally there is no care, courtesy or respect for people’s time or satisfaction, nor a semblance of logistical wherewithal in absence of this sorta thing. Is that a theme?
Um, a replacement HV battery is probably $20k (at cost). The rate of failure of the vehicles subject to the recall is less than 3%. That is, 3% may have the defect, and not all of those will develop the failing condition. Stocking batteries for a low probability scenario is not .. smart (so as not to use a stronger word).

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
The rate of failure of the vehicles subject to the recall is less than 3%. That is, 3% may have the defect, and not all of those will develop the failing condition. Stocking batteries for a low probability scenario is not .. smart (so as not to use a stronger word).
Lemon laws kick in in some states if the car is "in the shop" for more than certain amount of days. I can see people activating the lemon buyback if the car is undrivable for months, especially if used Taycan prices have dropped and it could mean a free upgrade from a 4S to Turbo S. It might not be that smart to let the repair time reach the lemon law thresholds due to not stocking the batteries.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Lemon laws kick in in some states if the car is "in the shop" for more than certain amount of days. I can see people activating the lemon buyback if the car is undrivable for months, especially if used Taycan prices have dropped and it could mean a free upgrade from a 4S to Turbo S. It might not be that smart to let the repair time reach the lemon law thresholds due to not stocking the batteries.
Sure, but I'd expect this to be handled with regional warehouses. PCNA must have data on exactly how many of the VINs in scope were sold in the US, where (and also where they are likely to be registered now). It'd be fairly trivial to have the right number of batteries (minus one ;) ) ordered/brought into the US, and distribute them geographically for optimal access. Dealerships are Porsche's customers, and this, to me, is a Porsche problem; don't make your customers pay for your own fuckups.

Last edited:
Reactions: gtm

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
Sure, but I'd expect this to be handled with regional warehouses. PCNA must have data on exactly how many of the VINs in scope were sold in the US, where (and also where are they likely to be registered now). It'd be fairly trivial to have the right number of batteries (minus one ;) ) ordered/brought into the US, and distribute them geographically for optimal access. Dealerships are Porsche's customers, and this, to me, is a Porsche problem; don't make your customers pay for your own fuckups.
PCNA absolutely should have some in stock on a regional basis. Right now we are out our cars if they fail the test, the dealer is most likely out a loaner vehicle (for a month+ ?), and the dealer has to manage a customer who wants his car back. I agree with you that Porsche should be able to figure out a pretty decent approximation of the number of batteries required. It should be possible to avoid having our cars out of commission for more than a week if PCNA was at all interested in providing the level of customer service that they claim they do.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sure, but I'd expect this to be handled with regional warehouses. PCNA must have data on exactly how many of the VINs in scope were sold in the US, where (and also where they are likely to be registered now). It'd be fairly trivial to have the right number of batteries (minus one ;) ) ordered/brought into the US, and distribute them geographically for optimal access. Dealerships are Porsche's customers, and this, to me, is a Porsche problem; don't make your customers pay for your own fuckups.
Lol, I like your “it should be fairly trivial” assumption. There are a bunch of things which “should be fairly trivial” like sending emails about software update only after a VIN is actually ready to upgrade, and yet…

As for making dealers pay for Porsche fuckups, I actually spoke with my service advisor and he told me dealers don’t provide loaners for long periods of time, it has to go direct through PCNA. He gave long waits for heaters last winter as an example.

TXSchnee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Taycan CT 4S, '24 BMW XM, '23 Honda Ridgeline
Country flag
Appointment this Friday to have the leak test performed for this recall. Need to remind them I am moving out of TX, and back to MN so they should assume more possibility of moisture intrusion.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
Appointment this Friday to have the leak test performed for this recall. Need to remind them I am moving out of TX, and back to MN so they should assume more possibility of moisture intrusion.
Please share how long it actually will take to perform and the outcome (leak detected or not).
Mine is scheduled for next week Tuesday Nov 14, 2023 and I just realized after reading this thread if the outcome is not positive, they will not give me my car back, until the HV battery is replaced. I am not sure if I can mentally process this, if that is to happen. I will at least insist, it has to be in my possession while waiting on the replacement, and not in their parking lot.

TXSchnee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Please share how long it actually will take to perform and the outcome (leak detected or not).
Mine is scheduled for next week Tuesday Nov 14, 2023 and I just realized after reading this thread if the outcome is not positive, they will not give me my car back, until the HV battery is replaced. I am not sure if I can mentally process this, if that is to happen. I will at least insist, it has to be in my possession while waiting on the replacement, and not in their parking lot.
Will update tomorrow after I talk to my Service Advisor. I also need a PCM update, so I will see if he can break the timelines out for a better idea.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
The test is the test, I don't think it has to do with the (momentary) geo of the car. That is, if the battery enclosure is failing a leakdown test it must be replaced. It's not a "moisture is present" test, (edit) that would would be too late, and indeed dependent on location.

I share your concern - we're pushing against winter here, and if the leakdown test fails I'll be without my car for who knows how long. But I don't think you will be in position to keep the car - the test may be destructive: if its seal is failing, the battery could be already compromised or the test itself exacerbates the failure. I don't see how Porsche could take on the risk of releasing a known-failed car back to you.

I received my snail-mail recall notice the other day; it says clearly that they will keep the car should the test fail, and that a replacement vehicle will be provided for the duration of the repairs.

Last edited:

TXSchnee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hopefully the test is the test. PorscheNA seems to be proactively replacing the defective heaters, but only in vehicles in “cold” states. I understand the reasoning behind that, but it does seem that geography plays some into how they handle issues.

stonecold926

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
just turned my MY23 Taycan in this morning. My service consultant told me it will take them 7 days to perform the test. Also have a reprogramming PCM recall on my car that I hadn't been noticed.
He also told me IF (a big if because he hasn't had any costumer fail the test) my car needs the battery replacement, I can take my car back till the new battery is delivered to them.

However, after I told him that is not what I learned online, he was like "well, we will see."

well, we will see.

Got a MBZ loaner for now.

enzo5000

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S CT, BMW E60 M5, BMW R1250GSA
Country flag
just turned my MY23 Taycan in this morning. My service consultant told me it will take them 7 days to perform the test. Also have a reprogramming PCM recall on my car that I hadn't been noticed.
He also told me IF (a big if because he hasn't had any costumer fail the test) my car needs the battery replacement, I can take my car back till the new battery is delivered to them.

However, after I told him that is not what I learned online, he was like "well, we will see."

well, we will see.

Got a MBZ loaner for now.
I had my HV Battery test and PCM update done two days ago. It passed with flying colors. The test took about 5 hours and the software reprogram took another 5 hours. I got the car back the next day all washed up and a swag bag of Porsche goodies as well.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also have a reprogramming PCM recall on my car that I hadn't been noticed.
My car was just in for a few days to fix something else. The PCM campaign was applied in the morning, I picked the car up at noon, so it doesn’t seem to be very time consuming.
Sponsored