whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Hell, you get to keep driving the car (which is working fine), and then it goes in for a service, and voila! You have a new battery.

I just see no downside here.
My worry is my car goes in for recall test, they fail the car but now cannot return it due to some liability risk, and the car is stuck at dealer until new battery arrives some day in the future, since I’m sure they don’t order a new battery until test fails.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
Recall parts arrived and I am scheduled for Nov 14 (11 days from now). I am curious from who has done it, how long the dealer will have to keep the car to complete the test, and how disruptive it is to any parts if they have to access it from the trunk. Someone said here 2 days, is that for everyone who has completed this campaign.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My worry is my car goes in for recall test, they fail the car but now cannot return due to some liability risk, and the car is stuck at dealer until new battery arrives some day in the future, since I’m sure they don’t order a new battery until test fails.
Interesting.

So for those Forum members whose cars failed the test - Were you told you couldn't drive the car (and the dealer kept it pending repairs)?

laua

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, V60, CT4S incoming
Country flag
My worry is my car goes in for recall test, they fail the car but now cannot return due to some liability risk, and the car is stuck at dealer until new battery arrives some day in the future, since I’m sure they don’t order a new battery until test fails.
My dealer already said they won’t give me my car back if I drop it off before they even do the test, and definitely not going to return it if it fails. A bit ridiculous IMO but now I have to wait for a loaner before I can drop it off.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My dealer already said they won’t give me my car back if I drop it off before they even do the test, and definitely not going to return it if it fails. A bit ridiculous IMO but now I have to wait for a loaner before I can drop it off.
I dropped my car off for the battery recall and another issue. I picked it up the next day after they ordered parts for both the battery test and the other issue. Why would the dealer want to keep the car while they order parts necessary to perform the test? After the test I can see some legal liability, e.g. they know it's leaking and it could potentially short out and start a fire, but until the test fails, they have no knowledge of this, unless there have been incidents recently and Porsche is purely trying to pull Taycans off the road (like Toyota did with their bz4x, but in that case they straight up offered a brand new ICE loaner for many weeks, or complete buyback of the bz4x - you'd think Porsche can match Toyota in level of service). Something seems fishy with your dealer, like they are trying to discourage you from doing the recall. Weird, as they get paid doing it.

Last edited:

OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting.

So for those Forum members whose cars failed the test - Were you told you couldn't drive the car (and the dealer kept it pending repairs)?
The TSB indicates that a HV battery that conclusively fails the leak test will be removed as a part of the leak test procedure.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Mine told me up front that if it fails the test, I'll have to schedule another visit to get the battery replaced so it seems they'll let me take the car even if it fails?

Hell, you get to keep driving the car (which is working fine), and then it goes in for a service, and voila! You have a new battery.

I just see no downside here.
Every time a mechanic touches one of my cars, something else breaks right afterwards. It has become a family joke over the years. Assuming mechanics aren't sabotaging them, the only conclusion I can reach is that cars don't like to be messed with 😂

PS: my letter says it's a 5h test procedure.

laua

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, V60, CT4S incoming
Country flag
I dropped my car off for the battery recall and another issue. I picked it up the next day after they ordered parts for both the battery test and the other issue. Why would the dealer want to keep the car while they order parts necessary to perform the test? After the test I can see some legal liability, e.g. they know it's leaking and it could potentially short out and start a fire, but until the test fails, they have no knowledge of this, unless there have been incidents recently and Porsche is purely trying to pull Taycans off the road (like Toyota did with their bz4x, but in that case they straight up offered a brand new ICE loaner for many weeks, or complete buyback of the bz4x - you'd think Porsche can match Toyota in level of service). Something seems fishy with your dealer, like they are trying to discourage you from doing the recall. Weird, as they get paid doing it.
They are definitely discouraging me; they told me upfront they have too many people scheduling the recall. That said - even if I do schedule it, why would I have to leave the car? They could simply defer the date of my service. In any case, my local dealer has been terrible from the day I tried to buy the car. I ended up buying out of state but it would be 3-4 hours for me to drive there. The next closest ones are all an hour out so I still try to go to my local dealer but I might not have a choice.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The TSB indicates that a HV battery that conclusively fails the leak test will be removed as a part of the leak test procedure.
The proper way to do this then is each dealer gets a couple of battery packs in their inventory (how many depending on the size of dealer), that way they have new battery ready to go should a car fail, when they swap it in and immediately order a replacement. They stop testing once they run out of batteries. Alternatively they could do this per regional warehouse holding an aggregate supply of batteries, with one day battery delivery to the dealers in the region - all dealers stop testing when warehouse batteries go on backorder.

The sad part is that for long waits for parts, dealers do not provide loaners. I've heard stories of people with failed heaters last year, not very happy customers.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They are definitely discouraging me; they told me upfront they have too many people scheduling the recall. That said - even if I do schedule it, why would I have to leave the car? They could simply defer the date of my service. In any case, my local dealer has been terrible from the day I tried to buy the car. I ended up buying out of state but it would be 3-4 hours for me to drive there. The next closest ones are all an hour out so I still try to go to my local dealer but I might not have a choice.
It sounds like your dealer has more customers than they can handle, so they focus on most profitable ones. Perhaps doing pre-delivery, or CPO inspections, or other repairs, are more profitable to them than doing recalls. When the dealer is actively discouraging you from servicing your car with them, I would drive an hour for much better service.

PS> You could also get what they tell you in writing, then call PCNA to let them know one of their dealers is doing this. Service is important to a brand and keeping customers.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just got a notification in the snail-mail. In it, Porsche claims they will provide alternate transportation if necessary. The recall will be done at no cost. Of course the questions are:
  • What constitutes "necessary"?
  • Is the cost of alternate transportation part of the recall, therefore no cost to the owner?
Also worth noting, that according to the letter, there should be progressive warnings before the battery catches on fire (of course it doesn't say how long before the yellow caution light, then the red warning, then the fire - could it be be seconds from yellow to on fire?)

Here is the letter I got, or the relevant portion of it. Yellow highlight added by me.
Porsche Taycan Recall (9/1/23): Insufficient Sealant Causing High-Voltage Battery Leak on 2023 Taycans (4,777 Units Affected) 1699169925754

Last edited:

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST (MY24)
Country flag
I can imagine it could be difficult to put the car back in to a usable state if the test fails. Performing the test (as far as I understand) requires pressurising the battery until some safety seals blow - these have to be replaced even if the test passes. I could see why a dealer wouldn’t want to replace those on a failed battery so the car could be used in the interim.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can imagine it could be difficult to put the car back in to a usable state if the test fails. Performing the test (as far as I understand) requires pressurising the battery until some safety seals blow - these have to be replaced even if the test passes. I could see why a dealer wouldn’t want to replace those on a failed battery so the car could be used in the interim.
It might be cheaper to replace the failed seals than provide a loaner car for weeks.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
It might be cheaper to replace the failed seals than provide a loaner car for weeks.
@bn8959 does have a point: on -failed- batteries it would be incorrect to assume that only the safety valves blow during the test, it could be that the already-failing seal is damaged even further. Releasing the car to the cx after a test failure increases the chance of the subject of the recall. I do agree with your earlier comment on having batteries in stock/nearby before scheduling tests; that way there is a guaranteed max period for the car to be out of service.
Sponsored