DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
Where is that port located in the car (front to back)? How is it accessed?
That's the back of the battery roughly below the rear seatback. The only logical place to access it is through the trunk floor. Old filter comes off, test equipment goes on, new filter replaces old filter. The test equipment was supposedly shipped to all dealers last June, so it's the filter that the dealer is ordering per VIN.

I do know, now that mine is done and that it involves 4 hours of shop time.

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
I thought the whole point of them keeping my car in port for 5 weeks was to address this. Now they gotta check again? lol ok

Porsche Taycan Recall (9/1/23): Insufficient Sealant Causing High-Voltage Battery Leak on 2023 Taycans (4,777 Units Affected) 1696558787664

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Where is that port located in the car (front to back)? How is it accessed?
What @DougFrisk said; that is the rear of the car and it can be accessed without dropping the battery (nor taking the interior apart). The person (at RR7) was surprisingly knowledgeable about the recall situation, though could not provide details on the exact procedure - where exactly in the trunk is the access port. It seems to have been designed for this scenario.

What surprised me was the relatively thin bead of sealant - the margin of error in manufacturing and sealing batteries is very small.

pedroleumjelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Triumph Trident, 2023 Taycan
Country flag
A quick update on this. I took my 2023 Taycan in for this, as it falls into the recall. After checking out the car, the next step is for the dealer to order the battery leak pressure test kit, which is estimated to take weeks. I’m not sure why they couldn’t proactively order the kit, but they told me they cannot until they collect and send the VAL to Porsche and the car is approved for the test. I’m also not sure whether the text kit is reusable, or a one time use (maybe I will ask next time I talk to them).

EDIT: worth mentioning that they don’t need to hang onto the car while waiting for the test kit, I will just take it back to the dealer when the kit arrives.
Just got my car back from an unrelated issue after having it wrapped. Porsche said they will sort out the recall as well.

I picked the car up today and they said they don't have tooling yet to perform the battery sealant tests and should receive it in November.

Here's the description from Porsche SF if anyone's curious.

Porsche Taycan Recall (9/1/23): Insufficient Sealant Causing High-Voltage Battery Leak on 2023 Taycans (4,777 Units Affected) 71857473535__8CEF535F-B00B-46E6-B265-149AF61A3FE6 copy

Last edited:
OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Looks like they fixed the car's LCA sensor problem by powering car down and up. I wonder if briefly disconnecting the 12v battery would have done the same thing.

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
Looks like they fixed the car's LCA sensor problem by powering car down and up. I wonder if briefly disconnecting the 12v battery would have done the same thing.
"and reset fault memory" sounds like they cleared the stored codes as well. Which you should be able to do with just about any OBD-II tool.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
The current leak test campaign is APB2. Mine is booked in at PRG Reading in a couple of weeks time,. They want the car for 2 days which they say is enough time to do the remedial work on sealant if necessary.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Well

After 12k easy kms which I enjoyed very thoroughly without any major hitch (except maybe a couple of times the pcm screen got stuck on the porsche boot up and during one day the car's HV converter had an argument with a charger stall), today I got a letter from Porsche Iberia in the mail. Registered with acceptance notice and everything (they must be scared to actually send registered letters with proof of acceptance).

At first I actually thought it was a fine and started to think where I could have been caught but no. It's a service letter asking me to visit a service center to check the high voltage battery seals and eventual replacement... Bugger.

Called my local Porsche Dealer and booked an appointment for Nov 14th. The Service Advisor warned me that in case of failing the test I'd had to schedule another visit for a battery replacement. I replied she should be less negative about that possibility. Let's hope the seals are fine upon inspection. 😂

I was also informed there was another pending re-programming on my vin so that would also be carried out. I have no clue what recall that is (forgot to ask) but since my car is from May 2023, I'm kinda surprised there's something open. I haven't been following the forum lately because of work commitments but I'll try to find something.

Fingers crossed. Car has been stellar so far

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well

After 12k easy kms which I enjoyed very thoroughly without any major hitch (except maybe a couple of times the pcm screen got stuck on the porsche boot up and during one day the car's HV converter had an argument with a charger stall), today I got a letter from Porsche Iberia in the mail. Registered with acceptance notice and everything (they must be scared to actually send registered letters with proof of acceptance).

At first I actually thought it was a fine and started to think where I could have been caught but no. It's a service letter asking me to visit a service center to check the high voltage battery seals and eventual replacement... Bugger.

Called my local Porsche Dealer and booked an appointment for Nov 14th. The Service Advisor warned me that in case of failing the test I'd had to schedule another visit for a battery replacement. I replied she should be less negative about that possibility. Let's hope the seals are fine upon inspection. 😂

I was also informed there was another pending re-programming on my vin so that would also be carried out. I have no clue what recall that is (forgot to ask) but since my car is from May 2023, I'm kinda surprised there's something open. I haven't been following the forum lately because of work commitments but I'll try to find something.

Fingers crossed. Car has been stellar so far
Hell, you get to keep driving the car (which is working fine), and then it goes in for a service, and voila! You have a new battery.

I just see no downside here.
Sponsored