UserNameRequired

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Tesla Model 3/X
Country flag
Hey Gang, I'm having an odd issue, hope ya'll can debug.

Recently had a prof install the Tesla Universal Charger. The charger charges my wife's Model 3 - zero issues, plug in, it works.

It does not charge the Taycan using the adapter that came with the universal charger. It *does* charge the Tacan using an older Lectron adapter I happen to have. I'm using that adapter until I can get this sorted. Using the Tesla Universal Charger Adapter, I hear the Tacan click when plugged in, but no juice - car reports 'Charging Error' after about a minute.

Complications - I thought it might be some older software on the UWC but -

The Universal Wall Charger will not join my Wi-Fi. I created an additional 2.6 Ghz with a simple 12345678 password for it (WPA 2) and it doesn't connect. Phone shows 5 bars. So I found out from other posts here, I can join the Tesla AP and go to the magic 192.168.92.1 page via web, there I scan and it shows one bar for every wifi network.

I stand right next to it and make it join my phone hotspot - ok now we're connected. Yay! Can it update? No, says it cannot contact the server.

The charger is on software version 23.24.4 (April 24, 2023?)

I am wondering if the software is old, it cannot handshake properly with the Tacan but the Lectron adapter is using a different handshake? While on the web page I saw a 'Compatibility Mode' which seemed promising - I set it, no joy - do I need to reset it at the breaker after setting ya think?

Thanks for any insights.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
contact Tesla customer support - odds are you have a 'bad' J-1772 adapter - someone else had the same issue a few weeks ago - can't answer the wifi thing

my universal wall chargers couldn't find an update either - but then I played with the Tesla One app - and it was able to find/install an update - the app is a little glitchy but you can muscle through it.

given that it works for your Tesla and with another adapter it's probably the included J-1772 adatper - unit has a 4 year warranty should be fixed and then no problems.

OP
OP
UserNameRequired

UserNameRequired

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
given that it works for your Tesla and with another adapter it's probably the included J-1772 adatper - unit has a 4 year warranty should be fixed and then no problems.
Interesting - the Lectron is a bit bigger so I figured there was more 'stuff' in there to do the handshake - the Tesla one is so tiny, I thought it was a straight passthru.

I tried the 'Update' route on the internal web page. I'll reach out to Tesla.

There's one more diagnostic step I was thinking - how do you remove the sleeve from the wall unit without the cable? I'd like to take it off and try it with another portable Tesla charger which has worked previously with the Taycan - if it doesn't that will def point to the sleeve. But once I take the sleeve out it is locked to the cable, I don't want to damage it using force - is there a button or something I am missing to release the sleeve from the cable?

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
I installed the same Tesla unit a week ago and it works fine. I think you have to get it to connect to WiFi to complete the registration process. During that process you set it to connect to “all vehicles”. Without that step, it is Tesla only.

contact customer support and have them help you get it connected.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting - the Lectron is a bit bigger so I figured there was more 'stuff' in there to do the handshake - the Tesla one is so tiny, I thought it was a straight passthru.

I tried the 'Update' route on the internal web page. I'll reach out to Tesla.

There's one more diagnostic step I was thinking - how do you remove the sleeve from the wall unit without the cable? I'd like to take it off and try it with another portable Tesla charger which has worked previously with the Taycan - if it doesn't that will def point to the sleeve. But once I take the sleeve out it is locked to the cable, I don't want to damage it using force - is there a button or something I am missing to release the sleeve from the cable?
https://apps.apple.com/app/id1625770308

the link above to the new 'configuration' app - I was able to connect it to my Wall Chargers and run software updates and see diagnostics and status - I'm not sure the app is an improvement vs. the usablity of the webportal - but the app was able to do a software update where the web-portal kept saying "no update available"

my unit's came from factory with default access controls set to "all vehicles"

the fact that another adapter can charge the Taycan but the built-in one can't points to a fault built-in adapter - I'm sure Tesla will swap necessary parts and all will be well.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
the link above to the new 'configuration' app - I was able to connect it to my Wall Chargers and run software updates and see diagnostics and status - I'm not sure the app is an improvement vs. the usablity of the webportal - but the app was able to do a software update where the web-portal kept saying "no update available"
Given Tesla's software prowess, their EVSE internet connected software has been a little bit of a letdown.

Randylip

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 taycan
Country flag
Hey Gang, I'm having an odd issue, hope ya'll can debug.

Recently had a prof install the Tesla Universal Charger. The charger charges my wife's Model 3 - zero issues, plug in, it works.

It does not charge the Taycan using the adapter that came with the universal charger. It *does* charge the Tacan using an older Lectron adapter I happen to have. I'm using that adapter until I can get this sorted. Using the Tesla Universal Charger Adapter, I hear the Tacan click when plugged in, but no juice - car reports 'Charging Error' after about a minute.

Complications - I thought it might be some older software on the UWC but -

The Universal Wall Charger will not join my Wi-Fi. I created an additional 2.6 Ghz with a simple 12345678 password for it (WPA 2) and it doesn't connect. Phone shows 5 bars. So I found out from other posts here, I can join the Tesla AP and go to the magic 192.168.92.1 page via web, there I scan and it shows one bar for every wifi network.

I stand right next to it and make it join my phone hotspot - ok now we're connected. Yay! Can it update? No, says it cannot contact the server.

The charger is on software version 23.24.4 (April 24, 2023?)

I am wondering if the software is old, it cannot handshake properly with the Tacan but the Lectron adapter is using a different handshake? While on the web page I saw a 'Compatibility Mode' which seemed promising - I set it, no joy - do I need to reset it at the breaker after setting ya think?

Thanks for any insights.
I assume you are aware of the charger recall. Porsche said do not use the charger that came with the car as it over heats. Gave us up to $600.00 to purchase new charger as they cannot deliver Porsche charges until at least June 24. I bought a Juice Box 40 amp and it works great and very fast. Check it out, re recall.

OP
OP
UserNameRequired

UserNameRequired

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I assume you are aware of the charger recall. Porsche said do not use the charger that came with the car as it over heats. Gave us up to $600.00 to purchase new charger as they cannot deliver Porsche charges until at least June 24. I bought a Juice Box 40 amp and it works great and very fast. Check it out, re recall.
Yeah I used it to buy the charger I am discussing at the top of this thread.

OP
OP
UserNameRequired

UserNameRequired

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is a common issue with the Universal Charger and happened to me as well. Contact Tesla support and they'll push a software update to your charger. After that, everything will work as intended.
Thanks I will reach out to them. I guess it means I need to ensure the thing is on the network.

Another odd thing, I left it plugged in in error state and went to walk the dog. Came back after about 20 minutes and it was charging! Tested it 2 additional times, leaving it plugged in and it eventually starts charging. It’s charging at 10.4kw. So definitely feels like some software issue.

eisenb11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Thanks I will reach out to them. I guess it means I need to ensure the thing is on the network.

Another odd thing, I left it plugged in in error state and went to walk the dog. Came back after about 20 minutes and it was charging! Tested it 2 additional times, leaving it plugged in and it eventually starts charging. It’s charging at 10.4kw. So definitely feels like some software issue.
Yes, you'll want to make sure it's on the network. Once it is networked, it might even download a software update (mine did), but that's not the software version that you want. There is another software version that's only available when pushed by Tesla support that resolves the issue. Mine starts charging pretty quickly after I plug it in.

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Cayenne S, 964 Speedster, AMG
You will also need to make sure that both the Taycan profiles are set up correctly for charging (and or timer), or set the car to direct charge, than in the Tesla App, Find your Universal Charger - In the Tesla App, in “settings”, under “vehicle charging”, make sure the “wall connector schedule “ setting is turned off ……

OP
OP
UserNameRequired

UserNameRequired

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, you'll want to make sure it's on the network. Once it is networked, it might even download a software update (mine did), but that's not the software version that you want. There is another software version that's only available when pushed by Tesla support that resolves the issue. Mine starts charging pretty quickly after I plug it in.
thanks everyone. After getting the charger online, the Porsche now starts charging in about 15-30 seconds

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
thanks everyone. After getting the charger online, the Porsche now starts charging in about 15-30 seconds
awesome - update the title to say "resolved"
Sponsored