JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Thank you. Many of the upgrades in the UX would not appear superficially to "need" hardware changes, so I would hope that Porsche would not be crappy and deny them as part of an upgrade to older models, but, based on past experience, they likely will . . .
IIRC, and I’ll verify later, I was pretty sure I read somewhere that the new Taycan and Macan are on an Android platform now, so that it isn’t the same architecture as the outgoing Taycan. If so, while it wouldn’t necessarily require a HW change, it’s not as easy as pushing the updated code to the older models.
Sponsored

d00d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yes
Country flag
These kinds of interesting conversations nearly send me down the rabbit hole of thinking that I should buy the 21" Aero Design Wheels with Distance Tires (oops, "Tyres") so that I could rotate them in for those few times that I take a long-distance trip (so I would have Summers, Winters, and Road-Trippers) . . . and then I snap out of it and realize it just doesn't matter for me or most people who have charging at home (and maybe even for most of those who do not). 40km will likely not have a material impact on many, if any, of the trips I, or most, would take. The range obsession just sucks you in but it really only matters if you have a specific frequent trip where that extra 40 km would be the difference between needing to stop and not needing to stop at all . . .
Depending on your trip, 40km could be the difference between needing to charge to 100% and only 85%, used as a battery degradation prevention tactic.

d00d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yes
Country flag
IIRC, and I’ll verify later, I was pretty sure I read somewhere that the new Taycan and Macan are on an Android platform now, so that it isn’t the same architecture as the outgoing Taycan. If so, while it wouldn’t necessarily require a HW change, it’s not as easy as pushing the updated code to the older models.
Only the Macan EV is.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Depending on your trip, 40km could be the difference between needing to charge to 100% and only 85%, used as a battery degradation prevention tactic.
Yes, as I mentioned, if you have a frequent trip where you are right on the edge, sure. But I think that would be rare, and 40 km would be only 5-10% or so, right?

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag
I have also been wondering about this. Asked my SA and he said that the new Aero Design wheels could not officially be sold to me for use on my 2022 Cross Turismo. It was only the wheels available in the Tequipment pages that they could sell. But he also confirmed that the new wheels would fit my car, so technically there should be no issue.

Saw no reason to push him further on this, but I did anyway recently order a set of non-OE wheels in 21" and then with the Hankook iON evo tyres. Expect a 5-7 % higher consumption compared to the OE 20"s but DC-chargers are everywhere now, so should not be a big issue.
I just fitted Hankook ION Evos to my 20s when I put the Summer wheels back on, not NF0 like the 19s and 21s, and so far appear to be +10% range compared to previous trips. Getting 3.1mi/kwh on a 120 mile round trip where I'd rarely seen better than 2.8 (that's 20kwh/100kms v 22) and I checked back through trips on the desktop app to confirm this.

d00d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yes
Country flag
Yes, as I mentioned, if you have a frequent trip where you are right on the edge, sure. But I think that would be rare, and 40 km would be only 5-10% or so, right?
If they were going for the juiciest numbers, they compared the J1 I Mission E vs the J1 II aero on the RWD J1 II with PB 82.3kWh usable.
Using it's least efficient 20kWh/100km WLTP and subtracting 12km for the original Mission E is 400km, +40km would be 10%.
Almost the full standard battery is used in the cold on the weekly 206 mile commute, but even in the summer I charge to 100% to avoid range anxiety.
I'm going from Mission E to 20" aero with narrower than standard tires, so may be able to reduce the timer further to 85%.

d00d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yes
Country flag
I just fitted Hankook ION Evos to my 20s when I put the Summer wheels back on, not NF0 like the 19s and 21s, and so far appear to be +10% range compared to previous trips. Getting 3.1mi/kwh on a 120 mile round trip where I'd rarely seen better than 2.8 (that's 20kwh/100kms v 22) and I checked back through trips on the desktop app to confirm this.
What size Hankooks?
Didn't appear they were available in 285/40R20, but do have a 245/45R20, so I went with -1 sizes 275/45R20 and 235/50R20.
Having them fitted to J1 I aeros in two weeks.

Update: all season 235 fits but the 275 too narrow, and there's no 285, so went with Continental ProContact RX all seasons in standard sizes

Last edited:

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag
What size Hankooks?
Didn't appear they were available in 285/40R20, but do have a 245/45R20, so I went with -1 sizes 275/45R20 and 235/50R20.
Having them fitted to J1 I aeros in two weeks.
They were available in the UK in the standard sizes 285/245

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
that's promising, how do they stack up for grip/comfort/noise?

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
The new aeros will have a bigger impact at high speed on long motorway runs than short urban journeys. I do a lot of mileage on motorways so went for them, not having to top up charge to 90%+ to get home (when charge speeds drops off) is a benefit for me.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Nice insights @Perry, thank you.

Did you look for or notice any differences with route planning? In particular, any ability to influence what charging networks are selected? I would really like if we had a "prefer IONITY" option!

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That was probably all the things I noticed. It was a pretty short visit and they didn't have any cars specced with the things I was mostly wondering about (Turbonite, ActiveRide, e.t.c), but it was cool to see the small changes anyway, I guess.
Having seen Turbonite in person, I think you're going to find it pretty underwhelming. They had to do something more to distinguish the turbo models from the non-turbo models in cars without actual turbos, but i'm not sure this was the move.

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
Having seen Turbonite in person, I think you're going to find it pretty underwhelming. They had to do something more to distinguish the turbo models from the non-turbo models in cars without actual turbos, but i'm not sure this was the move.
Ha Ha, Porsche has a real problem on their hands. No Taycan has turbos. And all 911’s now have turbos.

So, which models should get the Turbonite paint? 🤔

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag
Nice insights @Perry, thank you.

Did you look for or notice any differences with route planning? In particular, any ability to influence what charging networks are selected? I would really like if we had a "prefer IONITY" option!
Given your in depth knowledge I fear I've misunderstood your post but I have an option to select IONITY only both in the PCM and on the app.
Sponsored