kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
I’ve been hankering after a 911 for years and I thought now seemed a decent time to invest

A base 911 997 Carrera 2 with PASM. A few nice little bits like Bose but nothing too fancy. Manual of course. Only 47k on the clock and really tidy.

It’s gonna go in a managed garage shortly, but I’ve a few days to have a kick around first. I’ll be taking it out maybe 1-2 times a month when I have time and maybe also when the weather is ok!

Very excited to get some driving in this week! Too wet and rubbish today with no time, sadly

it’s purrty . And seems tiny compared to the Taycan! :involve:

Porsche Taycan Something a bit more 911… IMG_9238

Porsche Taycan Something a bit more 911… IMG_9239

Porsche Taycan Something a bit more 911… IMG_9237

Porsche Taycan Something a bit more 911… IMG_9240

Last edited:

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
I drove a similar (997 911S Cabriolet) for nearly 12 years and sold it for a bit less than what I paid originally. How many "six figure" cars can you drive 12 years for free? Only a 911!

OP
OP
kempez

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I drove a similar (997 911S Cabriolet) for nearly 12 years and sold it for a bit less than what I paid originally. How many "six figure" cars can you drive 12 years for free? Only a 911!
Yep exactly. It’s a little bit of an investment and fun toy for me. My wife is unimpressed but whatever!

Art

First Name
Arto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T 4S, 997 C4, Willys MB, 628 CSiA, ST4S, 750 Paso
Country flag
I'm here waiting the snow to melt.. to fire up the 997 C4.
It's light(er), small, nimble, very fun to drive on curvy tarmac roads and incredibly good on gravel too.
Its also a bit rough, loud and small to carry anything but your shopping bag - and it eats rear tyres and some amount of bentzin too.

So clearly my thumbs up for your plan! :like:

I'm so disappointed to the Taycan reliability. All 997 features just underline this feeling.
(4S in warranty repair at the moment over 100 days).
I bought the 997 ca. 8 years ago and it seems I could still get all the money back! However it's now sure the 4S will go earlier.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
You made me miss my 911, even though it's been years. I love driving my Taycan, wouldn't give it up, but this post made me miss my old 911. Enjoy!

OP
OP
kempez

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm here waiting the snow to melt.. to fire up the 997 C4.
It's light(er), small, nimble, very fun to drive on curvy tarmac roads and incredibly good on gravel too.
Its also a bit rough, loud and small to carry anything but your shopping bag - and it eats rear tyres and some amount of bentzin too.

So clearly my thumbs up for your plan! :like:

I'm so disappointed to the Taycan reliability. All 997 features just underline this feeling.
(4S in warranty repair at the moment over 100 days).
I bought the 997 ca. 8 years ago and it seems I could still get all the money back! However it's now sure the 4S will go earlier.
My Taycan has been pretty good, aside from an issue with the power boot opening, which was very frustrating. The actual car fundamentals are excellent though. But, but...it's a large car and driving the 911 has reminded me how well they fit on the UK roads and how much I missed that manual interaction. BUT I only miss that interaction if I am properly 'driving'. As in not just getting to places. The Taycan excels at that, but then has that massive added bonus of also being able to give you a special drive when you want, albeit not as special as the 911. And yeah: practicality is not high up on the 911 list!

I will be driving a bit this week and report back. Good luck with the thaw! 👍

You made me miss my 911, even though it's been years. I love driving my Taycan, wouldn't give it up, but this post made me miss my old 911. Enjoy!
I've had cars I miss, notably a lovely old FTO GPX MIVEC that I have regretted selling ever since. I aim to not regret selling this one, because it's a keeper 😁 maybe a good time to get yourself back in a 911? 😇

Unlike some stories I've heard off the forum recently, I don't regret getting the Taycan at all either, it's an amazing machine :rock:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I have kept my smaller, lighter sports car but really don’t go for a drive just for fun often nowadays and because the Taycan was new last summer I took that instead.
The Taycan hides its weight fairly well because of lots of wide band power and massive tyres but the size is a major shortcoming on roads around here.

Overall I am thinking of selling the old V8s and just having Prius and Taycan. I must be getting old.

OP
OP
kempez

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have kept my smaller, lighter sports car but really don’t go for a drive just for fun often nowadays and because the Taycan was new last summer I took that instead.
The Taycan hides its weight fairly well because of lots of wide band power and massive tyres but the size is a major shortcoming on roads around here.

Overall I am thinking of selling the old V8s and just having Prius and Taycan. I must be getting old.
I like that I have the option now to be honest. But yeah the Taycan is still a fun, engaging car...not a bad substitute. Took the 911 out for a quick spin now (and get some petrol in it as it was running on fumes!), and I was just enjoying the lovely sound of that N/A flat 6 and being careful not to test the limits of grip in the beautiful British weather! 🤦

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
Yes! I drove a hundred thousand of miles or so in 4 911's in the 80's and 90's and rarely sold for less than 10% of the original price paid. Fun times.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
The actual car fundamentals are excellent though. But, but...it's a large car and driving the 911 has reminded me how well they fit on the UK roads and how much I missed that manual interaction. BUT I only miss that interaction if I am properly 'driving'. As in not just getting to places. The Taycan excels at that, but then has that massive added bonus of also being able to give you a special drive when you want, albeit not as special as the 911. And yeah: practicality is not high up on the 911 list!

Unlike some stories I've heard off the forum recently, I don't regret getting the Taycan at all either, it's an amazing machine :rock:
[/QUOTE]
I very much agree with this, however much of my driving is on local B roads and I have adapted better than I thought to the Taycan width. However the electric Cayman will be sorely tempting if Porsche keep the basic model width at 1801mm. I very much like the design philosophy of Caterham Project V but the proposed width at 1893mm is only 78mm less than the Taycan. First world problems eh??

Last edited:

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Something a bit more 911… 1711547938900-1x

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
I traded my 997.2 C4S when I bought the Taycan as knew it would get little use.

Had it 5yrs and put 40k miles on it in all weathers.

Lovely cars. Glad I've owned one. But not as much of a wrench to see it go as some others I've had (incl. B7 RS4 which went at the same time).

Very nice cars, good at pretty much everything... But perhaps a bit....dull with it.

KLHubb

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2009 911S 2012 Cayenne
Country flag
I am looking forward to getting my 997.2S out of storage next week and head over to Watkins Glen for opening day. I love my 2020 4S, but still look forward to driving my 911 in the non-winter months.
They indeed complement one another.

Leawood CT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
Congrats on the 997.1!! You are going to love it. Mine is a 2008 997.1 in Artic Silver Metallic. I have had it since new and will not give it up. I absolutely love the thing. I added a Borla exhaust system and some 10mm wheel spacers to mine, but that is it. I have ordered the new generation specific radio/PCM replacement from Porsche. It replaces the current unit to have Bluetooth and Apple carplay, but looks like it was made for the 997. It will be a nice upgrade over the PCM it came with.

OP
OP
kempez

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Congrats on the 997.1!! You are going to love it. Mine is a 2008 997.1 in Artic Silver Metallic. I have had it since new and will not give it up. I absolutely love the thing. I added a Borla exhaust system and some 10mm wheel spacers to mine, but that is it. I have ordered the new generation specific radio/PCM replacement from Porsche. It replaces the current unit to have Bluetooth and Apple carplay, but looks like it was made for the 997. It will be a nice upgrade over the PCM it came with.
Awesome. They just seem the perfect fun spare car to me. Usable, small, light and fun.
I have enquired on pricing for the replacement PCM as well. It seems like a no-brainer!
Sponsored