Taycan Dead After Vacation

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Is it just me, or is it insane that these minor bugs and best practices for changing haven't been fixed and communicated to the owners? How can a company like Porsche not figure out how to charge a 12V battery properly from an HV battery?

My 1st gen 2012 Tesla didn't have any of these types of problems.

Somebody at HQ needs to hire a proper software development leader/team and empower them to fix some of these bugs, OTA update them and communicate with customers.

If they don't fix these issues before the release of the Macan EV, they will be in for some serious trouble.
I agree with you about the need for Porsche to up its EV game.

I don't think the people I see around here driving Macan SUVs are going to be as patient with/put up with/suffer willingly (as long as they get a nice loaner) with the problems and lack of driver user information and instructions that Taycan owners have experienced and are still experiencing after five model years.

Most vehicle owners don't want to have to join owner forums and read manufacturer TSBs to keep on top of what is happening with their cars.
Sponsored

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
Moved my response from the other thread:
What the...?!?!

Good grief. Between this thread and learning the 12v Li-ion battery is north of $1,500 to replace I can understand the depreciation.

My next EV will involve a lot more research and survey before making a purchase.
Just throwing it out there, under typical use the 12V should last many years before needing to be replaced although $1500 is still crazy expensive.

For apples to oranges anecdotal information only, my wife's lithium 12V battery in her Q5 is still going strong after nearly 8 years. The chemistry and engineers moving the battery out of the engine compartment seems to have worked wonders for its longevity.

I also got sucked into the Taycan by its looks without doing my full due diligence. I explored as much as I could within a week before buying but am putting a lot of faith in the brand itself. So far, so good.

aljparker108

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Left the 2020 Taycan Turbo at 85% charge for 4 weeks and came back to a completely dead car. Had to use mechanical key to unlock door. Tried opening charge port with manual cord but that didn’t work as I have the electric charge doors. Appears everything locks when the battery goes dead…..including the door if you close it again.

long and short flatbed coming to take to dealership. Will let you know how it goes. Roadside assistance says they don’t do the jump box solution.
Had this many times in the UK. Porsche were useless with information but AA told me Li-on battery will not last more than 2 weeks you need to leave the vehicle on charge whilst away or you'll have an issue every time. My Taycan Turbo just returned after 8 months off the road will be sold this week!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Had this many times in the UK. Porsche were useless with information but AA told me Li-on battery will not last more than 2 weeks you need to leave the vehicle on charge whilst away or you'll have an issue every time. My Taycan Turbo just returned after 8 months off the road will be sold this week!
Sorry to hear that your Taycan has been out of operation for such a long time. Fully understand that you will sell the car when you get it back.

But your AA guy had no clue about what he was talking about!

I have left my Taycan for 6 week s and for 8 weeks without any problems at airport parking. No issue at all. The key is that you do not check on the car with the app at all. The phantom drain is extremely low and the 12 volt battery lasts a long time. Just for safety you can easily keep a booster battery in the passenger compartment and open the frunk and boost the 12 volt, if needed. Looks a bit awkward at airport parking but works just fine.

And any good recovery agent will have a booster to get some life into an EV with a 12 volt battery. That is the way they do the recovery if needed on a flatbed!

OP
OP

Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
After being delivered to dealer and checked out they said the 12V battery was fine and no clue as to why car died…. Purchased Ctek Lithium US charger and plan to leave connected when on future trips.

Dealer performed updates WPN9 and WPS9. Doubt those had anything to do with dead car.

The shocking expense was the 20,000 service cost of 1511.64. That has to be a complete rip off with parts of 219.64

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
After being delivered to dealer and checked out they said the 12V battery was fine and no clue as to why car died…. Purchased Ctek Lithium US charger and plan to leave connected when on future trips.

Dealer performed updates WPN9 and WPS9. Doubt those had anything to do with dead car.

The shocking expense was the 20,000 service cost of 1511.64. That has to be a complete rip off with parts of 219.64
When you left the car unused for four weeks, did you use the MyPorsche app/Porsche website to remote into the car to check on it during that time? Thought is that if the car keeps waking up to communicate with app, battery gets depleted.
Were the key fobs for the car out of range of the car while it was stored?

OP
OP

Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Never checked on car with app, left it at 85% picked up from dealer at 70. Assume they didn’t charge the car. Key fobs were locked in metal safe away from car. Only thing i could have done perhaps is lock it, didnt do that as mirrors were still extended.
Sponsored