Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Left the 2020 Taycan Turbo at 85% charge for 4 weeks and came back to a completely dead car. Had to use mechanical key to unlock door. Tried opening charge port with manual cord but that didn’t work as I have the electric charge doors. Appears everything locks when the battery goes dead…..including the door if you close it again.

long and short flatbed coming to take to dealership. Will let you know how it goes. Roadside assistance says they don’t do the jump box solution.
Sponsored

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Main battery AND 12v battery dead? The 12v is meant to top up from the HV battery - up to four times I think.

I believe recommendation is leaving the HV charger attached; profile configured for 50%. This is what I do - although tends to be more like a couple weeks vs four.

enzo5000

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S CT, BMW E60 M5, BMW R1250GSA
Country flag
Did you have the PreHeat/PreCool activated?

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sounds like a dead 12V. A common issue with the newer cars but was supposed to be fixed with software update.

Is your car running the latest software and up to date with recalls?

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I thought the right way for long term storage was to plug in with a low charge limit setting (35%). Even Level 1 should be fine for that. Of course your car shouldn't drain 70kWh in four weeks. That is an average 100W draw. I'd have the dealer check why it did so.

redshift-performance

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.redshift-performance.com
Vehicles
Taycan, e-tron GT
Country flag
Most likely you will have a dead 12V battery which will need to be jump started. The 12V battery is located in the frunk and I assume you can't open it since the car is dead. You will have to access the fuse/relay panel in the driver side footwell and apply 12V from an external battery or VERY powerful power supply. This is also described somewhere in the owners manual but you will basically have to apply the positive 12V to the red pull out tab and the negative to the door lock hook. That will set off your alarm among some other things but after some time you should be able to unlock the car and open the frunk which will give you access to the posts of the 12V battery to jump start the car again.
Porsche Taycan Taycan Dead After Vacation 1711396752650-o9

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I thought the right way for long term storage was to plug in with a low charge limit setting (35%). Even Level 1 should be fine for that. Of course your car shouldn't drain 70kWh in four weeks. That is an average 100W draw. I'd have the dealer check why it did so.
This is the instruction from Porsche as of 3/14/2022. Not sure if there (h)as been new revisions since.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10209809-0001.pdf

Last edited:

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
I for one never leave the car plugged in when parked for a prolonged period. I don't get why, I feel there is more risk of the 12V draining if I do that. Other than that, the linked instruction seemed reasonable.

Taycan phantom drain on the main battery while parked and not plugged in, is super low. If you park it with 50% for example, the main battery will not drain to 0% for a *very* long time. You will lose like 1% per week.

5 weeks has been my longest park so I've not needed to charge the 12V. No problems so far. I've also been careful to not use the mobile app, which is mentioned in the linked instruction.

OP
OP

Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks to all… Flat bed truck arrived and jumped to open frunk and jumped once again to power on the car. Was able to drive onto flatbed but car died once again after powering off. As all suggested 12V battery is probably dead after 4 years, but don’t believe the 12V top off is working as when plugged in charger it went into standby mode to take waiting for reduced electrical charge cost.

Will confirm when dealer results return….

Another question, trickle charger recommendation or not worth it?

T-Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan CT4, 23 911T, 24 Rivian R1S, 71 BMW 2002
Country flag
I’m sorry to hear about your situation and the inconvenience. I was just gone for three weeks and hooked my CT4 up to a trickle charger to reduce the chances that the 12 volt would die. As an experiment, I left the vehicle unplugged from the wall charger and I checked a few times and saw that the big battery hadn’t lost any charge. I assume it’s because it didn’t need to top off the 12 volt due to the trickle charger. I hook my 911 up the same trickle charger because it sits for about 5 months at a time in the winter. Both the Taycan and 911 have the lithium 12 volt battery which is a bit painful to replace. I’ve had no issues using these and have been happy with them.

NOCO Genius 5
https://a.co/d/4HMOSTU

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
This is the instruction from Porsche as of 3/14/2022. Not sure if there (h)as been new revisions since.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10209809-0001.pdf
Why in the hell it needs to be this complicated? Why can’t you simply put a code “when the 12V battery is weak, charge the freaking thing via the HV battery” and save all of us the hassle. i am asking but i don’t really want to hear the answer because it is likely a stupid german inflexibility around a condition that does not really matter for 99% of the cars and drivers.

Emokeff88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD PB+
Country flag
I've read through many threads via the search option and I came to the conclusion that the 12v is kept charged from the big battery provided all updates are current. This is kind of important as ill be leaving my car for 6 months.

OP
OP

Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The Taycan has had all updates applied, so apparently the main battery didnt keep the 12v battery charged. As mentioned main battery was at 85% before the trip. When I plugged charger in, after being jumped, car recognized the timer/profile setting and went into sleep mode so main battery was still topped up beyond 25%.

Car died immediately after main power was turned off once car was loaded on flatbed.

Heads up to everyone.... Battery was coming up on 4 years so perhaps the lifespan.

OP
OP

Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So, appears I have two software updates, reprogram the central computer and one to reprogram the thermal management control unit.

Any idea what these two do?