What trickle charger is everyone using?
Sponsored

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would think the opposite would be true. If you are paranoid, leave it plugged in with a time set to "precondition" once a week, with only battery preconditioning selected. If really paranoid, enable cabin preconditioning too. This would make the Taycan top off both the 12V and HV battery once a week. Heck, if really paranoid, set the pre-condition timer to do it daily.
How do you arrange for preconditioning of only the battery? From the app, from the PCM?

hrtlik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My Taycan Turbo 2021 died after two months in the garage as well. Had to be towed to dealer and whole 12V battery has been replaced. Car was connected to the wall charger whole time. Whenever I leave my car more than two weeks I will connect trickle charger in the future despite what Porsche recommendation says. The bill was 1700€ excl. VAT.

I already had heater replaced, electric charging doors replaced and now 12V battery. So far the most unreliable car I had in my life.

hrtlik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Here is a timer you can setup in the app which would charge daily to 85% by 6pm. Note climate control unchecked.
1711569778055-e8.png
It will only charge, not precondition. Preconditioning is heating or cooling battery to specific temperature for DC fast charging.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Here is a timer you can setup in the app which would charge daily to 85% by 6pm.
Note climate control unchecked and charging checked above.
Thanks. Couple of follow up questions:
1. Charging HV battery also causes 12v battery to be re-charged?
2. If car is stored and not being driven and theoretically not losing much charge in 24 hours, would <brief> daily charge to 85% - once battery achieves 85% one day - actually have any impact on 12v battery?
3. Is HV battery charging the same as "preconditioning"?
4. Assuming this works to keep both batteries charged, why not charge daily to 50% if car is in storage?
5. Can this profile be set up in the PCM, not the app?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
It will only charge, not precondition. Preconditioning is heating or cooling battery to specific temperature for DC fast charging.
While charging, 12V battery is topped off too because the car is mostly on. No need to heat the main battery. If your set it up to charge less often, it will fill up longer, heating the battery some.

hrtlik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks. Couple of follow up questions:
2. If car is stored and not being driven and theoretically not losing much charge in 24 hours, would <brief> daily charge to 85% actually have any impact on 12v battery?
4. Assuming this works to keep both batteries charged, why not charge daily to 50% if car is in storage?
1. It should but there are bugs that cause to drain 12V battery and eventually kill it as this thread suggests and as I experienced recently. It takes weeks tho. Unfortunately it is still not being properly addressed by Porsche after 4 years in production. The trickle charger should do the trick.
2. don't know
3. no
4. thats what I do to maximaze HV battery life
5. yes

lwc1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
I left my car at the body shop for 3 weeks, unplug. It was just sitting there. I lost about 15% battery when i got it back. But i will be leaving for vacation next week for 2 weeks. i was planning to park it inside my garage, charge it to 85%, unplug then leave it until i come back.

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Why does the Taycan drain its battery whenever I choose to preheat it via the app.
Hmmm. Your Taycan doesn't work like mine does. If I start preconditioning from the app with the car plugged in, it does not drain the battery. It appears to use a few thousand watts from the EVSE to heat up the coolant, run the cabin heater, seat heaters and steering wheel heater. The battery % after 30 minutes or so is not changed.

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
You can't. Only cabin.
Well, to be precise, there are two levels of battery preconditioning. The high-temp one for preparing to DC charge, and the moderate temp one to warm up the battery prior to driving in cold climates. When you push the preconditioning button and the car is cold (say less than 40F), you get moderate coolant and battery warm-up, and cabin warm-up. But yes, you can't separate them and you can't command high-temp DC charge preconditioning for the battery. Only the Nav can do that. <frown>

hrtlik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Well, to be precise, there are two levels of battery preconditioning. The high-temp one for preparing to DC charge, and the moderate temp one to warm up the battery prior to driving in cold climates. When you push the preconditioning button and the car is cold (say less than 40F), you get moderate coolant and battery warm-up, and cabin warm-up. But yes, you can't separate them and you can't command high-temp DC charge preconditioning for the battery. Only the Nav can do that. <frown>
The HV battery is warmed up by residual heat from charging process. It is not actively preheating the battery during AC charging. I use this knowledge to schedule my charging. I keep Taycan in garage at 50% to maximaze battery life, one or two hours before my departure I remotely start charging and I use that residual heat so Taycan himself does not need to it while driving and it saves few percent of range.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
During charging, the HV subsystem is powered on. The 12V battery tops off whenever HV system is on. My speculation (hope?) is that the 12V "refill counter" is reset the same as the turning the car ON, so that it will automatically enable the HV battery for top off up to the max counter value.

2. If car is stored and not being driven and theoretically not losing much charge in 24 hours, would <brief> daily charge to 85% - once battery achieves 85% one day - actually have any impact on 12v battery?
The main effect in this case I would hope for would be to trigger a 12V top off (even if not at refill threshold) and reset of 12V refill counter. It's probably not required every day, I was just making up a quick example.
It's whatever "Charging" means for a departure timer. I would hope some battery preconditioning, but not sure.
I just made a quick example on the app to capture the screen. Yea, 50% would probably be just fine and maybe slightly better for extended parking (weeks).
I would imagine so, but haven't confirmed it.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The HV battery is warmed up by residual heat from charging process. It is not actively preheating the battery during AC charging.
It will if battery if really frozen and can only take 1KW or 3KW. I suspect the departure timer does heat the battery to at least range mode minimum.

Hmmm. Your Taycan doesn't work like mine does. If I start preconditioning from the app with the car plugged in, it does not drain the battery. It appears to use a few thousand watts from the EVSE to heat up the coolant, run the cabin heater, seat heaters and steering wheel heater. The battery % after 30 minutes or so is not changed.
What year Taycan? Mine uses EVSE only if I send a timer (even only 5 minutes out). Just hitting the precondition button on home screen does not use EVSE. It’s a 2023.
Sponsored