Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Wow, thanks for the pdf… wish I had seen that before the trip.
Sponsored

alexsas

First Name
Alexey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, I3
Country flag
I left my 2020 turbo unplugged at 80% SOC for a couple of months, and nothing terrible happened... (which I guess should be expected really).

Taycan barry

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan cross tourismo 4 s
Country flag
Left the 2020 Taycan Turbo at 85% charge for 4 weeks and came back to a completely dead car. Had to use mechanical key to unlock door. Tried opening charge port with manual cord but that didn’t work as I have the electric charge doors. Appears everything locks when the battery goes dead…..including the door if you close it again.

long and short flatbed coming to take to dealership. Will let you know how it goes. Roadside assistance says they don’t do the jump box solution.
My 2923 ct 12 volt went dead because I did not use my car for two months. You should be able to jump start your 12 volt battery without flat Bedding. You should prob charge your 12 volt at dealer or at any garage. I now have a trickle charger that I hook up if not using my car for a week or so. Very easy to do and saves you the pain of your 12 volt going dead.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I thought the right way for long term storage was to plug in with a low charge limit setting (35%). Even Level 1 should be fine for that. Of course your car shouldn't drain 70kWh in four weeks. That is an average 100W draw. I'd have the dealer check why it did so.
Porsche recommends leaving car unplugged around 50% to optimize battery life. Charging with 110V is no longer recommended by Porsche as that might drain the 12V even faster.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The Taycan has had all updates applied, so apparently the main battery didnt keep the 12v battery charged. As mentioned main battery was at 85% before the trip. When I plugged charger in, after being jumped, car recognized the timer/profile setting and went into sleep mode so main battery was still topped up beyond 25%.

Car died immediately after main power was turned off once car was loaded on flatbed.

Heads up to everyone.... Battery was coming up on 4 years so perhaps the lifespan.
Do you live in a particularly cold area? I guess 4 years is close enough to the lifetime of the 12V battery but I'm still a little surprised it died like that haha

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
A couple of observations about the PDFs:

- It says that the 12V battery must be charged every 8 weeks, which directly contradicts the widespread belief on this forum that the 12V battery is automagically charged from the HV battery when it needs it. It sounds like the 12V battery is not charged, hence the problem

- The 12V battery is lithium. Does that rule out jump-starting?

- Keys must be out of range and the recommendation is to avoid using the app. Both of those things may prevent systems from going to sleep, running down the battery.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
Reading through some of the comments I just want to make sure everyone is on the same page. First, a lithium 12V battery should last far more than 4 years. Secondly, everyone here is aware that you'd need a power supply capable of outputting enough continuous amps to charge the 12V battery, and not a jump box, right?

Just checking

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I like to the keep the right instrument cluster with the information panel that shows high voltage battery percent, battery temp, and 12 volt battery (which usually reads 13.5V). I would think that if one's 12V starts to die it would be noted in this display right? Or no? Also, it would be nice to be able to remotely check the 12V battery status via the app.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
It says that the 12V battery must be charged every 8 weeks, which directly contradicts the widespread belief on this forum that the 12V battery is automagically charged from the HV battery when it needs it. It sounds like the 12V battery is not charged, hence the problem
The widely held belief here is that the HV battery will charge the 12v battery up to 8 times. Why it’s limited to 8 is a question for the engineers at Porsche.

Here’s a link to a pretty long thread about it… https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/12v-battery-problems-again.14361/post-220298

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
So, appears I have two software updates, reprogram the central computer and one to reprogram the thermal management control unit.

Any idea what these two do?
Don't know which the first one is, but the second one is WPS9. For me, the car appeared to more aggressively achieve my cabin temperature setting. I.e. if the cabin is 60F it will blow hot until it is at my setting of 68F.

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
The widely held belief here is that the HV battery will charge the 12v battery up to 8 times. Why it’s limited to 8 is a question for the engineers at Porsche.
There are many actions and checks to take after 8 weeks storage at the dealer and at home. Possibly they are trying to prevent the HV from getting below some damaging minimum if there is a parasitic draw that's pulling too much from the 12V.

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Porsche recommends leaving car unplugged around 50% to optimize battery life. Charging with 110V is no longer recommended by Porsche as that might drain the 12V even faster.
Hi, all the documents we've seen here say leave it plugged in to Level 2, not unplugged. Is there another reference? I know it says Level 2, but don't see how 110V with the amps changed to the correct value (8 amps) could drain the 12V since that configuration can charge the HV battery?

The 2022 PDF says
1. HV will charge the 12V (but maybe only eight times)
2. leave plugged into Level 2
3. charge to 20%-50%
4. overinflate tires
5. deactivate all timers
6. set general profile, 50%, optimize, activate
7. charge the 12V every 8 weeks with a 14.4, 80A charger
8. call the dealer if you are going to store more than 3 months

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Leaving your car plugged into the charger doesn't do anything if your 12V is drained (after charging itself 8 times from the HV battery).

I had my dashcam plugged in and after 2 months of vacation the 12v was drained (way before I returned home). The car was plugged into the charger the whole time. Useless. Came home and had to jump start the 12v. As mentioned before you have to unlock the frunk first by connecting the fuse box terminals to a 12v battery, then jump start the car from the frunk battery terminals. After the car woke up it was able to charge the 12V.

The correct way if you were to leave the car for a prolong period, AFAIK, is to use a battery tender for your 12V. That will ensure your 12v stays charged. The HV shouldn't drain itself if you had adequate state of charge.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I for one never leave the car plugged in when parked for a prolonged period. I don't get why, I feel there is more risk of the 12V draining if I do that. Other than that, the linked instruction seemed reasonable.

Taycan phantom drain on the main battery while parked and not plugged in, is super low. If you park it with 50% for example, the main battery will not drain to 0% for a *very* long time. You will lose like 1% per week.

5 weeks has been my longest park so I've not needed to charge the 12V. No problems so far. I've also been careful to not use the mobile app, which is mentioned in the linked instruction.
I would think the opposite would be true. If you are paranoid, leave it plugged in with a time set to "precondition" once a week, with only battery preconditioning selected. If really paranoid, enable cabin preconditioning too. This would make the Taycan top off both the 12V and HV battery once a week. Heck, if really paranoid, set the pre-condition timer to do it daily.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Why in the hell it needs to be this complicated? Why can’t you simply put a code “when the 12V battery is weak, charge the freaking thing via the HV battery” and save all of us the hassle. i am asking but i don’t really want to hear the answer because it is likely a stupid german inflexibility around a condition that does not really matter for 99% of the cars and drivers.
It might not be German inflexibility, but rather the design-by-committee latest generation of engineers decisions - nobody empowered or willing to make decisions, so things are left as they happen to come out. Of course it would make sense, if the car is plugged in to keep on topping off the 12V battery. Heck, why does the Taycan drain its battery whenever I choose to preheat it via the app, but if I simply set a departure timer 20 minutes from now it will precondition the car from the EVSE?
Sponsored