Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
I had a 2023 RWD loaner for 4 days while my MY22 was getting a heater replacement. Loaner’s throttle and brake pedals were noticeably more sensitive and properly calibrated vs my car. Both pedals responded quicker and more directly to the first ~10-20% of the pedal force. On top of that the brake pedal did not have the dead zone my car has (nothing to do with pads as i could see how regen indicator immediately reacted to the slightest touch on the loaner, which does not happen in mine).

Difference was to the degree i realized i was enjoying the loaner MUCH better by day 3, as pedals felt a lot more “reactive” and “proper/natural”. And the rwd did not feel “laggy” at all.

Finally i got my car back today and my brain took a while to adapt (i kept getting too close to the cars when braking and had to deliberately push the throttle more to get the same acceleration). Turning on the sport mode would not get me close to the loaner unless i was super heavy footed, in which case differences between the two disappeared.

My question is : when we got the big update last year would not we get the latest and the greatest on everything including throttle/brake mapping or are there certain things that older cars did not get?
I saw in other posts that some people were able to fix their brake responses with software updates (only after complaining to the dealer though), which means at least brake mappings were not automatically updated.
There is almost no review/test on MY23 or 24 RWD online, so appreciate input if anyone else gets to do the same comparo during a dealer visit.

Difference is big enough for me that I’d consider changing the car with a higher model year if an software upgrade is not available.
Sponsored

R Benny Waered

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, Rapide S, Mc GT, ID.5
Country flag
I just had my brake blending recalibrated as it had got quite out on the regen/mechanical with a v long pedal travel. Some issue of not properly sensing brake pad wear it seems.

I'm particularly tuned into poor pedal dynamics too (hate sport modes in ICE as they make the throttle too snappy and being non linear to me is non good!) but have no issues with the Taycan throttle sensitivity or linearity.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
There are posts on this subject related to long pedal travel.
You have to complain to get this fixed.
The fix is a combination of hardware and software.

I have a 2023 and just by reading these posts, I thought I had it too since when you slow down below 12mph the blending begins into actual brakes for slow down and then it is all actual brakes at 6mph and below. I felt like I had to push it unnaturally too deep biased by these posts.

I immediately took it back to the Taycan tech and he said, mine is too new and normal at this time and will get better, which it did, and getting better as I crossed 1k, 2k, and now 3k miles. He said that older models are obviously too long, and you know it, and he had one he fixed by software and hardware update specific to the issue. They do not fix it, if customer does not complain.

The fix is not part of the usual OTA or dealer visit updates, the way I understand it. The latest update is WPN9 Scope 2 and was applied to mine when I went for the sealant leak test recall visit.

OP
OP
Avantgarde

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They do not fix it, if customer does not complain.
Thanks this is odd though. And which makes me think older models don't get the latest software on a bunch of items (including the throttle response).

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
I'm wondering whether Porsche treats this type of update like Audi did in my last car. They updated the MMI (Audi speak for PCM) to the latest version for free, but only after I asked. That update was not a part of standard maintenance service.

I'm new to Porsche to any insight is appreciated as I look toward future scheduled service.

Last edited:

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm wondering whether Porsche treats this type of update like Audi did in my last car. They updated the MMI (PCM in Audi speak) to the latest version for free, but only after I asked. That update was not a part of standard maintenance service.

I'm new to Porsche to any insight is appreciated as I look toward future scheduled service.
I learned to find every TSB and bring up any issues to my dealer and they do the diligence such as measuring and recording things and then getting it done. You have to say something to fix something. They are only obligated to address official recalls with a letter sent from corporate or in their system, the rest is up to us.

cccmanhattan

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan CT4S
Country flag
I've had repeat issues with my brake pedal travel on MY2022 CT, but no issues on MY2020 Turbo even though the Turbo has done a lot of miles.. On my CT, they replaced the booster, bled the brakes several times, replaced the ABS unit, bled everything again and it seemed to have gotten better. Currently it's back in for service because recently I had a panic stop in the rain and the two left wheels locked up while the right seemed to be rolling free with almost no ABS intervention. I've since been able to replace with any heavy braking that gets past the regen and relies on the discs. They tried replacing the ABS pump again, but as of yet, they don't know what the issue is.

OP
OP
Avantgarde

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There are posts on this subject related to long pedal travel.
You have to complain to get this fixed.
The fix is a combination of hardware and software.

I have a 2023 and just by reading these posts, I thought I had it too since when you slow down below 12mph the blending begins into actual brakes for slow down and then it is all actual brakes at 6mph and below. I felt like I had to push it unnaturally too deep biased by these posts.

I immediately took it back to the Taycan tech and he said, mine is too new and normal at this time and will get better, which it did, and getting better as I crossed 1k, 2k, and now 3k miles. He said that older models are obviously too long, and you know it, and he had one he fixed by software and hardware update specific to the issue. They do not fix it, if customer does not complain.

The fix is not part of the usual OTA or dealer visit updates, the way I understand it. The latest update is WPN9 Scope 2 and was applied to mine when I went for the sealant leak test recall visit.
I wanted to give an update on this. I just got my car back and the brake issue is FIXED. Day and night difference. Feels like I've been driving a different car for 2 years. Brakes feel snappy, consistent, just "right". I still can't believe how software can make such a difference. I want to share my experience getting this resolved which I thought was interesting:

So when I first complained about my brakes to my service advisor, he was quick to set up a time for the shop foreman to test drive my car. The foreman was a nice guy and seemed knowledgeable , as he drove the car he was like "well i know what you mean but trust me this is how these cars drive, I've driven so many of them and that's how this brake system is designed because of how it blends recoup etc etc" - since he was a nice guy I did not get into dispute mode right away and kept listening. Finally after an extensive 15 minute test drive he said "I can assure you your car does not brake differently than any other Taycan I drove, but I agree it is not the best brake feeling in general because it is electric". As he parked my car and we were walking back to the shop, I saw the 2023 loaner I was given 2 weeks ago parked right there and said "do you mind taking a quick drive on that loaner to see how it compares?" he was kind enough to say "yeah sure". He went in found the keys we jumped into the loaner. And I am expecting a set of explanations etc. The first 30 seconds of the drive he is "holly shit you are right this is way different" he went into PCM to make sure recuperation or some other setting was not the reason. And as he drove, before I said anything. "man i did not know this, but they clearly updated the software on 2023s, they made it MUCH better". He repeated that my car was not any different vs other 2022 and older cars but 23 was apparently a big update which surprised him. Bottom line he updated the software and did a brake flush just in case as my 2 year service was almost due and boom I have proper brakes. ZERO dead zone, (i can now see the green regen indicator moving at the slightest touch to the pedal), and tiny effort needed to slow the car. Most importantly very consistent pressure. The new set up also improved the stop and go behavior of the car in traffic big time.

What surprises me here is why would Porsche not make this a regular update for all cars. Hard to understand. It's such a massive difference in feeling and it has safety implications (i feel way more confident about the brakes now)

Last edited:

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am really happy for you @Avantgarde that you were able to press on and get this fixed. This should help Taycan owners with older models that may have this issue and not getting the software update to get this fixed. I verified mine that does not have the issue, and what I looked for, to your helpful observation, is how quickly the green bar appears, and it is instant as soon as you touch the brake pedal. This should be the first test to diagnose for all.

Also, now I am wondering about all these early reviewers putting out bad reviews about Taycan braking not being dialed in and not natural. I knew to wait for the break in period and even then took it to a trusted and experienced mechanic to double check. I find the braking very natural. smooth, and predictable.

You would think trained technicians would know this as they go on long out of town trainings and drive all kinds of cars to learn about them, but then tell you some unbased on facts or experiences stories that this is how it is supposed to be and go into the tech talk about blending. I was told the same BS regarding the story below.

2016 Macan Turbo was hard shifting 2 < > 3 gears up or down and we could tell that clearly something was not right and after many months of convincing and pointing out to other examples, it was a failing Transfer Case, that was replaced under warranty and then later on Porsche gave in and issued extended warranty to all up to 7 years. We were told that this is how PDK works and there is nothing wrong.
Sponsored

Last edited: