BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
My RWD has been my daily (about 30 miles a day) for over 2 years now. This is the second time that I've taken a hit to the front from flying debris on the highway. It was some kind of metal scrap that bounced off the hood and seemed to scratch right through the PPF. I LOVE my car and to my surprise I've become surprisingly relaxed about this kind of thing. Consequently not sure if I want to just leave this be (I'll have this car for at least 7-10 years), go all out (replaced ppf on hood + touch up paint = $1000 at least I think), or just buy touch up paint myself and ever so carefully DIY the scratch to at least make it less noticeable.

Porsche Taycan Took one on the Taycan chin (again) IMG_0448

Porsche Taycan Took one on the Taycan chin (again) IMG_0450

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
I got something similar going on - on the front plastic portion of bumper. Drove up to Yosemite from San Diego and got it as a souvenir. I've been avoiding looking at it. It's not down to the paint (is the bumper even painted?) its just the PPF that got torn a bit.

You can take it to the shop where you got the PPF and they can surgically remove that portion and paint it, which will leave the hood exposed in that spot. I would do that before I spent $1k replacing everything, unless you can train yourself to ignore it.

The PPF is supposed to be your sacrificial layer, so I am surprised that the underlying paint was affected.

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid (RIP), 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Damn, that sucks my stealth brother. Time for a new car.

All kidding aside... yeah, I would definitely pull the PPF off, get the scratch fixed by a pro (not DIY) and then re-do the PPF. It should all come in under the $1000 you're estimating.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
That does not look like damage that should have gone through XPEL or a similar film. What kind of film do you have?

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Doesn't look so bad zoomed out. Love the stealth, makes me want it on mine.

Is it the sort of self healing ppf? i.e hair-drier jobbie that would improve it a lot if not 100%?

OP
OP
BMonte13

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Doesn't look so bad zoomed out. Love the stealth, makes me want it on mine.

Is it the sort of self healing ppf? i.e hair-drier jobbie that would improve it a lot if not 100%?
Xpel stealth is supposed to be self healing and it's been sunny/100+ degrees where I live in NorCal.

OP
OP
BMonte13

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
OK then - are you sure the paint is damaged? That must have been one heck of a hit.:oops:
Actually not sure if it's through to the paint but it looks deep. Highway speed collision with object. Like the Columbia Space Shuttle foam strike. It was just foam but at high speeds no bueno.

VOLT4GE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I got something similar going on - on the front plastic portion of bumper. Drove up to Yosemite from San Diego and got it as a souvenir. I've been avoiding looking at it. It's not down to the paint (is the bumper even painted?) its just the PPF that got torn a bit.

You can take it to the shop where you got the PPF and they can surgically remove that portion and paint it, which will leave the hood exposed in that spot. I would do that before I spent $1k replacing everything, unless you can train yourself to ignore it.

The PPF is supposed to be your sacrificial layer, so I am surprised that the underlying paint was affected.
Bumpers are painted.