pedroleumjelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Triumph Trident, 2023 Taycan
Country flag
How is anything under 1cm not considered acceptable wear and tear? 3.3mm is such a trivial ding with no structural damage.
Sponsored

RSouthern

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS and several others and 2 MCs
Country flag
Has anyone had their auto lift function lower the car when returning after parking? The possibility of damage to the under tray and the lack of reliability on the auto lift is worrisome.

I park in an above ground, covered (no GPS signal inside), multi-story lot at work with multiple large speed bumps that also extend into some of the parking spots. I have the car set to lift at entry (GPS) to the lot and that works really well. On several occasions I have returned to the parked car at the end of the day and the car had lowered itself to the non-lifted (normal) position. It's random when it happens. I generally drive in ""normal mode", so I'm not switching modes between parking and returning, causing a change. I've caught it 3 or 4 times in the past 9 months and avoided scraping, but it's unreliable. By contrast, I park the car in the raised position in my garage (I have a steep road transition to get to my driveway and I have a platform/base from a car lift I drive over in the garage, so I leave it lifted to be safe). In the garage, I've never had the car lower itelf.

The only difference I can think of is at work, the car is connected via it's LTE/5G radio and can get updates. At home, I'm several miles away from the nearest cellular signal (yes, shockingly that's a thing in San Jose CA, no AT&T, no VZ, no T-Mo), so the car can't get any updates. Is it possible that an OTA update can reset the computer, triggering a return to the lower/normal position?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
My concern with all BEVs has been the protection of the battery and its complex but very important temperature control system.
Looking at the battery layout in the Jalopnik review it rather looks like the working liquid runs in multiple channels running across the battery assembly, probably underneath the battery pouches themselves, which means how much damage is tolerable is dependant on how much wasted space, and adverse centre of gravity influence a manufacturer is prepared to accept when designing the car.

I expect all skateboard battery EVs are similarly vulnerable, but maybe Porsche pushed the limits of C of G height a bit more than others (???) and also have a much more outrageous pricing policy for parts and labour, seemingly much more so in UK than USA - which is not uncommon.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I expect all skateboard battery EVs are similarly vulnerable, but maybe Porsche pushed the limits of C of G height a bit more than others (???)
Check out Tesla battery designs. Fluids run between the batteries (rather than on the bottom). They also have a titanium shield at the front of the car. Tesla had puncture incidents in 2013/2014, then they solved the problem within 6 months (ork there was one where a customer fired a gun into the floor and then tried to claim battery warranty, the bullet found in the battery kind of sealed the warranty rejection though). Bottom line is you don't hear much about battery scrapes damaging them on Teslas.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bottom line is you don't hear much about battery scrapes damaging them on Teslas.
Or Taycan, or any other EV either in fact, these are the first I’ve seen in the years since the car came out.

chun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020, Cayman GT4
Country flag
Or Taycan, or any other EV either in fact, these are the first I’ve seen in the years since the car came out.
There have been several cases posted here. Likely a lot more going un-posted, as it is more than likely covered by warranties.

But the fact that the cover tray seems to be made of carton is worrying. I myself have had 2-3 situations while traveling in Italy when the under tray hit or scraped something on the road. But on visual inspect, with a lantern, i see nothing. But then again, i haven't had the car in service put up and inspected in detail...

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
My car went in for a flat tire and they noticed a dent in the shield. Cost would have been 6k to drop everything and look. Luckily I had video from the battery replacement showing this dent/scrap was there during the battery repair. It seems this was here prior to the cpo as the car never scraped on anything under my ownership. I find that such a small deviation is a design flaw of the vehicle. It doesn’t seem like this was taken into account when designing the car and battery.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There have been several cases posted here. Likely a lot more going un-posted, as it is more than likely covered by warranties.

But the fact that the cover tray seems to be made of carton is worrying. I myself have had 2-3 situations while traveling in Italy when the under tray hit or scraped something on the road. But on visual inspect, with a lantern, i see nothing. But then again, i haven't had the car in service put up and inspected in detail...
It is quite thick aluminium, but of course a 2+ tonne car putting a load normal to the face is going to dent it, whatever it is made of.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
This kind of bullshit is why the car has tanked so hard on the secondary market.

16K for roof glass, 11K for underbody, the car is a ticking financial time bomb.

These repair costs are way, WAY out of bounds (even for Porsche) making them more expensive to insure and financially risky to own.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Maelstrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Minor update - my insurance company approved the removal of the plate and inspection of batteries and coolant system. Interestingly the cost to do it through insurance is about $2k less that what i was quoted!! I should have the verdict on Tuesday but they are pretty sure everything will be ok with it being marginally over 3mm

BJCanadaMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo, MINI SE, Toyota Prius
Country flag
This kind of bullshit is why the car has tanked so hard on the secondary market.

16K for roof glass, 11K for underbody, the car is a ticking financial time bomb.

These repair costs are way, WAY out of bounds (even for Porsche) making them more expensive to insure and financially risky to own.
My sister just made fun of me and everyone on this thread on how we can't really afford this car. And only really rich people can afford it cause 10k is loose change to them. I can't wait till i wrap up the payment for this car and plan for a 911.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hi yes ... I have reported it to insurer and now waiting to hear what they say.

Interestingly, having looked back at the photo earlier in the thread and now having the photo of my car the damage is seems to be in an identical place. Perhaps the soft underbelly of the Tacan is not up to the job?

Also still very confused at the difference in suggested cost $11,000 (~£8,700) and £36,000 for a ding that is between 3mm and 4mm.
Hopefully you get it all sorted out. It is a stupidly ridiculous cost!!

But the spin off with cases like this (for all of us) is that insurers will have a good look at Taycan repair costs and continue with the ever steepening incline in insurance premiums.

Or they will just stop offering insurance for them - which is happening already.

Its another real concern going forward, similar to Range Rover owners. But this time for repair costs not thefts.

They won't be able to give them away out of warranty the way the user experience is panning out, especially factoring in insurance.

The Porsche tax is an utter disgrace when it's their bad design / faults that cause all these issues.
In my industry the regulator would be all over this.

Can't wait to get rid of mine next year.

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Another benefit of the Cross Turismo extra ground clearance would be a much lower likelihood of this sort of damage.

It also means lowering the car so it looks more as you like it is a risky move (though lowered road cars usually look daft to me so not something I would do).

pedroleumjelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Triumph Trident, 2023 Taycan
Country flag
My sister just made fun of me and everyone on this thread on how we can't really afford this car. And only really rich people can afford it cause 10k is loose change to them. I can't wait till i wrap up the payment for this car and plan for a 911.
I'm already on a 992.2 4S waitlist and put a deposit down like 4 months ago. I love the Taycan, but I'm in my 30s, no kids, and I love roadtripping :D

Also, the 911 maintains its value.
Sponsored