When and who should install Clear Side Marker if PPF is added?.

Go2mars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Model X, Waiting on Taycan 4s chalk
Country flag
My Tycan 4s will be delivered in a few days. I ordered clear side markers and plan to install them. I also have lined up PPF, ceramic coating tint etc at a local place.

My plan was to drive directly form the delivery room to the PPF place. I am confused as to when to install the side markers.
I assumed I want to do it before they add the PPF.
I assume I can't ask the Porsche dealer to add them before I take delivery because they are not supposed to sell the car with those markers in the US.
I don't expect the PPF installer to know or be willing to install them.
I don't want to drive to my house (several miles the wrong way) risk rocks hitting my car, install and then turn around to the PPF place.
So that leaves me with install them myself in the parking lot when I get to the PPF place?

What have you all done with this when you installed clear side markers?
This is a REAL PROBLEM I haven't slept for days.!!! :(
Sponsored

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I am in the same situation. We got you, @Go2mars, my PPF installer will be doing it since they said that they have to remove them anyway to wrap the film correctly. They remove hood emblems, for example, to apply the PPF, so this should not be an issue asking your installer to do it, and then having a good night sleep after that. I am also bringing all the screen protectors, that their tint master will be applying for me.

Last edited:

JS4S

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan 4S, 21 Cayenne S, 06 Z06, 89 Formula 350
Country flag
Have the PPF installer swap them. They should remove the marker lights for PPF install. I also had them wrap the clear marker lights.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Lol it literally doesn't matter as unless you're going with a 100% custome job, the PPF will be pre-cut around the side markers. A good installer will roll the edges in but some won't depending what template they use.

Installing side markers is an easy DIY job. I swapped it out as soon as I picked up the car and had PPF installed a few days later.

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag
My Tycan 4s will be delivered in a few days. I ordered clear side markers and plan to install them. I also have lined up PPF, ceramic coating tint etc at a local place.

My plan was to drive directly form the delivery room to the PPF place. I am confused as to when to install the side markers.
I assumed I want to do it before they add the PPF.
I assume I can't ask the Porsche dealer to add them before I take delivery because they are not supposed to sell the car with those markers in the US.
I don't expect the PPF installer to know or be willing to install them.
I don't want to drive to my house (several miles the wrong way) risk rocks hitting my car, install and then turn around to the PPF place.
So that leaves me with install them myself in the parking lot when I get to the PPF place?

What have you all done with this when you installed clear side markers?
This is a REAL PROBLEM I haven't slept for days.!!! :(
Side markers removed during PPF install, with the PPF film extended to wrap into the side marker openings. Side markers re-installed after PPF, which takes like one minute. Since they should be removed anyway, hand your installer the clear ones and say "use these please."

OP
OP
Go2mars

Go2mars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Model X, Waiting on Taycan 4s chalk
Country flag
Thank you so much for the replies. I asked my installer and he just said that they do it. They do it all the time so just bring the new ones. Mystery solved, now back to refreshing my TYD page.

Icebergmikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 850i, Taycan 4S (on order)
Country flag
Don’t assume, ask your dealer to throw in the side markers for free and do the installation… mine did!

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
Don’t assume, ask your dealer to throw in the side markers for free and do the installation… mine did!
I would not let my dealer touch nothing like this and would rather have PPF team do it. I can just see the nightmare unfold with them going around with a screwdriver around the wheels and exterior paint, no thank you for me. There is a reason to let the dealer do the absolute minimum as they use the least qualified people do this kind of work. I will not let them touch anything, unless it is needed for PDI (even then I am willing to take the risk not letting them remove any wrap anywhere) and will be watching them from truck unload until the time I take it to my trusted PPF shop.

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
Have you asked your dealer if they will install the clear side markers for you? i've seen a lot of people in this group take delivery with them installed. Yes its not "100% regulation" but they can still order the part and most shouldn't have issue installing them.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Congrats on the new 4S, @Go2mars !

Here's my story (copied from one of my earlier posts). I talked to my Sales Associate (SA) about add-ons a month before taking delivery.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

I told my SA that I was going to install clear front side markers and get window tint, paint protection film (PPF), and ceramic coating right after taking possession.

Much to my surprise, he said I can have that all done here before you pick up the car. The clear markers were US$200 installed. After we worked out the specifics*, he quoted me the price and the warranties, and they were in line with other quotes I received. These "dealer-installed options" were added to the bill of sale, and I didn't have to worry about dings, chips, and bug splat on my first drive home.

*Tint: darkness, name brand, %UV protection, %heat rejection, warranty (I did Xpel nano 35% US$700 in June 2022) The darkest window tint permissible in Arizona is 33% on the rear and side windows.
PPF: whether to do front bumper, full-front, or full-body (I did Xpel Ultimate full-front US$2000)
Full-body Ceramic: whether to do single or double-coat (I did double Opti-Coat US$1800. Single was US$1400.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
The add-ons added a week to the delivery day. Since you're so close to your delivery day your situation may be different.

Since the SA's prices were in line with what I'd researched, I assumed I wouldn't be getting cheap and shoddy work. And that turned out to be true. Soon after taking delivery, I took my 2022 RWD to a reputable detailer who said whoever did it did a good job.

If you're, however, as passionate about perfection as @SergeyIndy is, by all means follow his good advice.

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid (RIP), 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Huge problem? First world problem, maybe!

Anyway, I was going to have my PPF installer install them for me because like others have said, they need to remove them anyways to do a good job with the PPF.

So I bring them to my PPF installer and when he was doing the bumper and removed the original side markers, he went to install them and then realized that Suncoast shipped me 2 side markers for the same side (left side) instead of 1 for the left and 1 for the right.

Long story short, I had to keep the orange side markers on until I got the correct side marker from Suncoast and then I changed them myself, on my driveway. It's pretty easy to do, as long as you have the correct Torx driver.

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
I asked my SA to order them for my car to have them installed for delivery and they obliged.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Word of warning. Unlike EVERY other Porsche I’ve owned, the Taycan side markers have a set screw holding them in place. You can not just slide them out like EVERY other Porsche. You have to remove the set screw first or you will snap off a ridiculously weak plastic tab from a subassembly that runs all the way into the bumper. Don’t ask me how I learned this painful lesson….
Sponsored