11kw now - 22kw mid 2020

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
Stick to your condo and your own electrician.
I don't need an internet electrician who has no knowledge of my house or its electrical system and I doubt you are certified either!
Why are you aggressive and rude. .....Of course I am not an electrician, but I am in commercial real estate with over 600 tenants in Atlanta where I do tenant built outs on a daily basis, as well as previously in residential construction where i dealt with this all the time. It is clear your electrician was either lazy or incompetent...dont use that one, there are plenty of great electricians out there!! just giving you or anyone else wondering about their electric service in their home good advice.....GEEEZ
Sponsored

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Being an international vehicle and forum I realize this is not possible for everyone. I am speaking for my own home in the US.
But I didn't ask for your advice. I've already had my electrician to my home who knows my service, knows I have solar, knows what my main panels and sub panel can handle etc.Hes not lazy or incompetent. He works on multi million dollar homes and businesses. He's also a friend so it's only costing me materials so there is no financial or lazy factor at play. You don't know what you are talking about.

You the one are posting on a car forum saying my service can't handle it and to get a new electrician! I think you are the one who is being too aggressive making opinions on something you have no knowledge about.

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
But I didn't ask for your advice. I've already had my electrician to my home who knows my service, knows I have solar, knows what my main panels and sub panel can handle etc.Hes not lazy or incompetent. He works on multi million dollar homes and businesses. He's also a friend so it's only costing me materials so there is no financial or lazy factor at play. You don't know what you are talking about.

You the one are posting on a car forum saying my service can't handle it and to get a new electrician! I think you are the one who is being too aggressive making opinions on something you have no knowledge about.
I don't understand why you resort to personal insults. We are here on this forum to help each other out and learn. Just discuss calmly and intelligently of what your electrician actually told you. I only made comments trying to be helpful telling you what a qualified electrician should be able to do and gave sound advice based on what you said about your electricians statements.

I didn't say your service can't handle it. in fact I said the opposite!! I actually said most likely it could. Do not change your main panel unless you have to. Yes, I don't know your house, so maybe you do have very high electric usage and you area already approaching your limit. I was only alarmed that you said your electrician couldn't determine things, and if he can't, you have a problem....maybe he is a handyman and not an educated and licensed eletrician....so I was only giving FRIENDLY advice that you and other readers could use.

Per what you wrote earlier, if your electrician actually doesn't know how to determine the amperage on your breaker box, estimate your usage, or doesn't know how to figure out the gauge the cable coming the power company, or doesn't know how to find out your peak usage, then yes, he is incompetent. But you were the one that said he could not determine those, and so based on what you said, i concluded your electrician was incompetent. The advice i gave is very sound advice, and if you speak to a competent electrician, he/she will say everything I wrote is totally accurate......30 years of experience dealing with these power issues. Sorry if I somehow offended you by giving advice.

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I never said I was changing my 200 amp main panel. I said I we are adding a 2nd 100 amp sub panel in my garage.

I also never said my "electrician couldn't determine anything," nor did I say "But you were the one that said he could not determine those"
You are confusing things or making things up. I'm perfectly happy with my electrician and have no doubts about his capability and knowledge. You are the one jumping to conclusions, assuming things over the internet and possibly mixing up something someone else posted and confusing it with me

Where is this personal insult you mention?

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I agree that some careful planning is needed when installing a charger at home. The capacity of the supply as well as the dimensioning of the cable is very important. I had an qualified and certified EV charger electrician check and install my system as per the regulations in France. The cable for the supply which was further away than I thought initially, was quite a substantial cable. In fact it was nearly as expensive than the Tesla Wall Connector!

I have three phase electricity supply at home with 3 by 64 amps. But My supply contract only says 36kVA, which I take as 80% rule as mentioned in one post above. I have a Tesla wall connector on three phase which can charge at 22 kW max, but my Tesla is limited to 11 kW. This is plenty as I easily charge my vehicle during the low cost hours, which are between 2am and 7 am. A charge from about 20% to 75% works just fine in that period. For such an amount of charge the cost is about 6.5 Euros!

The nice thing about it is that I can also charge any other vehicle, such as my future Taycan with the same Connector. They all use the same standard plug. I can adjust the current to draw 16, 25 or 32 amp as desired, which will give me 11, 19 or 22 kW for the cars. The test will be to see if the supply needs upgrading since we have a large heat pump supplying heating and hot water for the house.

For me the Taycan with 11 kW would be fine for charging at home, but not sufficient for charging on a road trip. There I would ask for the 22 kW charger as earlier mentioned.

I guess everyone’s situation and use of the car will be different. I will not need my car as a daily going to and from work! I only use it for trips that I want to do, and we are away from at least 4 months of the year. And that is where I envisage to use the Taycan. During these trips away we will not have the benefit of a home charger but will rely on public charging points.

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All this talk and speculation on 22kW can be put on hold for a while.

No retro fit (free or paid) and no 22kW anytime soon in the US. This comes directly from Porsche forwarded to me from my dealership in response to my question:

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 10:10 AM
Subject: RE: Taycan updates?
To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hi XXXXXX-

As of now there will not be a retrofit solution for 11kW OBC to the 22 kW OBC. If your customer wants the 22kW OBC, I would wait until we announce it in the future. I love to tell you exactly when, but I can’t give you an exact date as of now.

Best regards/ Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Mike DePetro

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
All this talk and speculation on 22kW can be put on hold for a while.

No retro fit (free or paid) and no 22kW anytime soon in the US. This comes directly from Porsche forwarded to me from my dealership in response to my question:

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 10:10 AM
Subject: RE: Taycan updates?
To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hi XXXXXX-

As of now there will not be a retrofit solution for 11kW OBC to the 22 kW OBC. If your customer wants the 22kW OBC, I would wait until we announce it in the future. I love to tell you exactly when, but I can’t give you an exact date as of now.

Best regards/ Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Mike DePetro
That is really bad news. If I had not already ordered the car, I would have delayed the whole thing. But too late now, the contracts here in Norway are written in a way that makes it pretty much impossible to cancel without losing a heap of money:headbang:
Sponsored