Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
Just finalising my config and this 22KW onboard charge is so expensive 1600 euros

What can the car support without this on AC is it 7.2KW or 11KW?

I have our electricity supplier looking at moving our supply to 3 phase but suspect it will be crazy money so may be stuck at 7.2KW at home single phase. Is this enough do you think and how long to charge overnight at this rate please?

So this means buying the 22KW onboard would be when I can't find a fast charger when travelling so hardly used.

We are in France so a decent amount of DC fast chargers around so thinking I won't be charging AC when travelling. In France the DC 150KW onboard is standard.

Thanks
Sponsored

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Tirismo 4
Country flag
In US it’s “no”. Not many house getting more then 60amp( which is 11kwh)
But it really depends how u gonna use it. How many DC fast charger near by, How often u charge at home.
PS: I mean 60A circuit not 60A total service🤣

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In US it’s “no”. Not many house getting more then 60amp( which is 11kwh)
But it really depends how u gonna use it. How many DC fast charger near by, How often u charge at home.
Agreed? Need the view of Valen and Scaninavia who live in France

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I have it and it is useful being able to charge 22 Kw when visiting a city for a couple of hours and returning with a charged battery. For trips it can be really practical. Even a 1 hour lunch stop will give significant charge.

I do have a 22 Kw charge at home but I have set it at 11 Kw and that is enough to charge over night. Never had to charge at 22 Kw at home yet. I have even set it lower at 7 Kw because my solar panels can deliver 10 kw and that is still enough for my daily use.

The standard charger is 11 Kw.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Just finalising my config and this 22KW onboard charge is so expensive 1600 euros

What can the car support without this on AC is it 7.2KW or 11KW?

I have our electricity supplier looking at moving our supply to 3 phase but suspect it will be crazy money so may be stuck at 7.2KW at home single phase. Is this enough do you think and how long to charge overnight at this rate please?

So this means buying the 22KW onboard would be when I can't find a fast charger when travelling so hardly used.

We are in France so a decent amount of DC fast chargers around so thinking I won't be charging AC when travelling. In France the DC 150KW onboard is standard.

Thanks
I think I explained this before but the car has 11kW AC onboard charger as standard.

To take advantage of this you will need 3 phase electrical supply for home charging. If you don't have this then the max charging capability will be limited to 7.4kW (32A )at home (perfect for overnight charging at home).

You will however be able to take advantage of public AC chargers offering anything up to 43kW (maxing out at 11kW when you charge at one).

To upgrade the standard charger to 22kW is an expensive thing to do. Base part of your decision on access to public charging facilities in your area and where you are likely to charge to gauge whether the investment will be worth it for you when compared to DC charging (which should always be your first choice).

For most the decision is 'no'

Personally, in 2 years of charging I've never felt like I needed it.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Agreed? Need the view of Valen and Scaninavia who live in France
As stated above it is an expensive option and really not needed. 7.x kW is plenty for all practical purposes. That is all nearly everybody has in the UK.

So much depends on the fast chargers that are around you. And where you intend to drive. But haven driven up and down and across France several times, the build out of fast chargers is amazing and new ones come on line daily.

It is a nice to have feature more than a necessity. You can charge at 11 kW on any of the 22 kW or 43 kW vharging stations to get enough to reach a fast charger. I would Spend my money on other options or just save it.

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, 1969 911t
Country flag
I have it and if I get another Taycan i won't spec it again. Its a bit pointless really. 4500 miles and I've not utilised it using the chargers I have so far.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I have it and i wouldn’t spec it again.
It was nice to charge at work @22kw, but now i’m retired, i can charge at home @11kw only.

Edit: Otoh, we are talking about 150k car, so it’a just another % :blush:….and there are lots of questions regarding resale value, so…
Bottom-line: it depends on your needs. i mean, if you are cruising over Europe like @tigerbalm , then it’s definitely good to have, probably even must to have. For me, there’s no value anymore.

Last edited:

Abdul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gentian Blue Taycan 4S...previously Ice Grey RWD
Country flag
As others, depends on your charging network. I'm in Scotland and quite a few public (still free!)chargers st 22kw. I'll use if I can around work place and during the day...this option (I didn't have it on previous RWD) cuts time by half. I've probably paid less than £100 for home charging over the 1.5 years by utilising local chargers.
A side benefit for others is that I'm off the charger in half the time !

OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So checking on Chargemap our local town has only 3 22kw chargers no DC. Rural areas in Charente an Charente Maritime as mainly 22KW but a few DC 50KW about in the bigger cities. So local to me I might use the 22KW for an emergency. In Nottingham and Belper near my relatives rubbish hardly any charge stations at all.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There seem to be a lot of DC chargers around Nottingham as far as I can see.

Porsche Taycan 22KW onboard charger yes or no A6D4933B-0708-4764-900A-859271AD290C

I think a lot of people have recommended ZapMap for the UK. I have used ChargeFinder with very good results.

OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes there is more on ZapMap. Will try Charge Finder

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Again looking at the area around La Rochelle, it seems a decent coverage of >50 kW stations..

I would love yo have so much around me.
Porsche Taycan 22KW onboard charger yes or no 65D68FBA-60B4-43E4-890C-E89A8C9316D1
Sponsored