First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yes there is more on ZapMap. Will try Charge Finder
My Porsche - Map for Charging (also means in car NAV will pick these up) - plentiful AC but you also have 150kW DC (that would be my main target if I had to charge in a hurry near to my home)

Porsche Taycan 22KW onboard charger yes or no 1665222996966

Porsche Taycan 22KW onboard charger yes or no 1665223062553

Porsche Taycan 22KW onboard charger yes or no 1665223109138

If it helps I have 350kW, 50kW and various AC (3 - 43kW) near me and I generally don't use any of them as I home charge. Factor this into your decision making process as your home charging ecosystem (be it based on single phase or triple phase supply) will be your primary charging point where typically you are charging during periods you don't need or use the car i.e. overnight.

Porsche Taycan 22KW onboard charger yes or no 1665222780271

Reactions: B61

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
In US it’s “no”. Not many house getting more then 60amp( which is 11kwh)
But it really depends how u gonna use it. How many DC fast charger near by, How often u charge at home.
Huh? Most modern homes in the US get 200A service. Residential category goes all the way to 400A service. Even older homes often have at least 100A feed. Also, a 60A service delivers up to 14.4KW, not 11KW. Maybe you meant that you can only install a 48A charger on a 60A circuit, which can deliver 11.5KW.

Whether or not you need an 80A (19.2KW) onboard charger depends on how you plan to use it. It is a separate question whether or not you want install an 80A EVSE at home, since you could be getting the higher amp onboard charger to use outside of your home (for example on trips or perhaps your workplace or shopping has 80A chargers), so might not need 80A EVSE at home.

There are thread on this topic on this forum somewhere. Bottom line is most people using the car for personal needs in the US do not need it, but if you do, retrofitting an upgrade is more expensive than getting it with the car.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Since Ionity is one of the fastest Chargers and also cheapest at the moment in the Porsche Charging serbice, you can track the roll out of chargers here:
https://ionity.ev-info.eu/countries

As you can see France is one of the countries in Europe with most locations, and quite a few more coming. And then you have Allego, Fastned, Total Energies also rolling out fast chargers

We are in France so a decent amount of DC fast chargers around so thinking I won't be charging AC when travelling. In France the DC 150KW onboard is standard.

OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
thanks all

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Tirismo 4
Country flag
Huh? Most modern homes in the US get 200A service. Residential category goes all the way to 400A service. Even older homes often have at least 100A feed. Also, a 60A service delivers up to 14.4KW, not 11KW. Maybe you meant that you can only install a 48A charger on a 60A circuit, which can deliver 11.5KW.

Whether or not you need an 80A (19.2KW) onboard charger depends on how you plan to use it. It is a separate question whether or not you want install an 80A EVSE at home, since you could be getting the higher amp onboard charger to use outside of your home (for example on trips or perhaps your workplace or shopping has 80A chargers), so might not need 80A EVSE at home.

There are thread on this topic on this forum somewhere. Bottom line is most people using the car for personal needs in the US do not need it, but if you do, retrofitting an upgrade is more expensive than getting it with the car.
🤣🤣yea. I mean 60A circuit not total services

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
I would be surprised if you really need it.
I charge at 3,6 kw (single phase 16A) and it is just fine. And I do a 120km daily commute.
Most people are even fine with the regular 13A shuco plug charger.

At night (let's assume you are at home about 14h per day and consume 22kwh/100km) you can charge:
at 3,6kw: 50kwh: 230km
at 7,4kw: 103 kwh: 460km (already more than the taycan's battery capacity)
at 11kw: 154kwh: 700km (already more than the taycan's battery capacity)

And you only need it if you do this distance or more, at least 2 days after eachother.
Personally I sometimes drive more then 230km in a day, but I almost never drive again 230 km the next day. And if that would happen, I can go to a fast charger.

Do you expect to leave home, drive 350km, go back home the same day with almost 0%, and on the same day leave your home again to drive another +200km ?
If that is something you do regularly, you need the 22kw charger.

OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks all I've removed it from my config. I was told today by the Porsche centre that it can be retro added anyway

OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks all

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
In US it’s “no”. Not many house getting more then 60amp( which is 11kwh)
But it really depends how u gonna use it. How many DC fast charger near by, How often u charge at home.
US: Yes, but not a must-have. I think it’s worth it, in all locations US/Europe/ROW. Benefits heavily discussed in previous threads here.

DL_AU

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (previously 911 Carrera T)
Country flag
So checking on Chargemap our local town has only 3 22kw chargers no DC. Rural areas in Charente an Charente Maritime as mainly 22KW but a few DC 50KW about in the bigger cities. So local to me I might use the 22KW for an emergency. In Nottingham and Belper near my relatives rubbish hardly any charge stations at all.
I’ve just returned from the local supermarket, where I got Pole Position in the parking lot, plugged in and charged at 22kW/hr. 2x the standard charging speed is quite handy. I expect that a lot of local infrastructure will roll out @22kW because it is much easier and cheaper than installing DC chargers. I have 3-phase power at home, so I can charge up to 22kW. I live close to the CBD, and there are very few DC chargers nearby but plenty of 22kW chargers. Part of my logic - which may be a little obtuse for many - was that having the 22kW charger made me less concerned about not opting for the larger (heavier) battery.

OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It costs significantly more to retrofit.
I bet. But 1680 euros for something I will hardly use is a waste. It seems that even in the UK when I visit I could find 50kw chargers. Here in France we have lots of 100kw plus DC chargers and quite a few Ionity 350KW chargers around plus the others being rolled out such as Total Energies
Sponsored