W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I bet. But 1680 euros for something I will hardly use is a waste. It seems that even in the UK when I visit I could find 50kw chargers. Here in France we have lots of 100kw plus DC chargers and quite a few Ionity 350KW chargers around plus the others being rolled out such as Total Energies
Like many of us have advised - you don't need it. 5 years ago it would have been essential but the pace of DC deployment has helped enormously.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
Like many of us have advised - you don't need it. 5 years ago it would have been essential but the pace of DC deployment has helped enormously.
Agreed thanks

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
In London there are now a bunch of 22 kW public chargers (Source London). They've been deploying them at a fairly rapid pace over the last year.

Not paying for a retrofit, but would definitely add it to a new build.

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In London there are now a bunch of 22 kW public chargers (Source London). They've been deploying them at a fairly rapid pace over the last year.

Not paying for a retrofit, but would definitely add it to a new build.
I'm in France and do travel a few times a year to the midlands so I'd be adding a 1680 euros option mainly for trips to the UK.

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I have the 11kw onboard charger and I think of it as the overnight charger. The other charger in the car is the DC charger which takes up to 250kW.

I have travelled extensively through Switzerland, France, Belgium, and Italy and I have never missed the 22kw option. I always had a 7-11kw charger where I stay overnight and thus have a fully charged car in the morning.

During the day, when I am travelling ≥500kms then there are always High-speed DC chargers along the way. And from what I can see in these countries where I travel there are more and more DC fast chargers added all the time, especially 50kW DC chargers meaning if I am ever in a bind, the worst case scenario is that I park 20-40 minutes at a 50kW DC charger and guaranteed there will be a 300kW+ within range and on the way t my new destination.

With each passing month, I think that the 22kW charger is less and less needed. I'd take it if it was a free or cheap option, but for €1,600 I really think one can do without it.

OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have the 11kw onboard charger and I think of it as the overnight charger. The other charger in the car is the DC charger which takes up to 250kW.

I have travelled extensively through Switzerland, France, Belgium, and Italy and I have never missed the 22kw option. I always had a 7-11kw charger where I stay overnight and thus have a fully charged car in the morning.

During the day, when I am travelling ≥500kms then there are always High-speed DC chargers along the way. And from what I can see in these countries where I travel there are more and more DC fast chargers added all the time, especially 50kW DC chargers meaning if I am ever in a bind, the worst case scenario is that I park 20-40 minutes at a 50kW DC charger and guaranteed there will be a 300kW+ within range and on the way t my new destination.

With each passing month, I think that the 22kW charger is less and less needed. I'd take it if it was a free or cheap option, but for €1,600 I really think one can do without it.
Thanks useful and I agree

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
In US it’s “no”. Not many house getting more then 60amp( which is 11kwh)
But it really depends how u gonna use it. How many DC fast charger near by, How often u charge at home.
Not sure about this for the US. Every house in my area, and in the previous area I lived in, can handle the 100 Amp breaker that will support a 19.2 kW charger (US spec). I have one, the Porsche Wall Charger Connect. Apartments and condominiums may be a different story.

As for the OP. While I live in the US if you don't have a specific use case where you need the faster charging at home I'd probably skip the 22 kW (19.2 kW US spec) option.

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Thanks useful and I agree
make sure you get the 150kw onboard DC charger though; most of the 50kw and 150kw cahrgers are 400V and without this 150kW onboard DC charger the car will charge at ~30kW at the 50kW 400V charger, and (from memory) something like 90kW at the 150kw 400V charger.

that 150kW DC charger is cheap and a must have

OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
make sure you get the 150kw onboard DC charger though; most of the 50kw and 150kw cahrgers are 400V and without this 150kW onboard DC charger the car will charge at ~30kW at the 50kW 400V charger, and (from memory) something like 90kW at the 150kw 400V charger.

that 150kW DC charger is cheap and a must have
150KW is standard in France

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
150KW is standard in France
Good to hear. Porsche probably had more than an earful of complaints of people complaining that their taycan was not charging at full speed even on 50kW chargers...

"yeah but, these are 400V, and the Taycan uses 800v... bla bla bla" probably didn't get many smiles from people who didn't tick that box..
Sponsored

Reactions: B61