Anyone know what this is?

SteveMc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So we are dogsitting my sister-in-laws 6 month old dog (a lovely goldendoodle for those who are interested!) and this morning found her on the driveway munching through a black plastic case with this circuit board inside. There was a battery stuck to one side of the board (removed for the photo) and the board was inside the case.

Now, it seems unlikely it's come from the Taycan (the wiring into the unit was wrapped in un-Porschelike insulating tape), and there are no part numbers that I can see, but I can't for the life of me see where else it has come from. We have been in this house for 12 years, so possibly discarded by an electrician, but the u-blox SARA module seems to be a GSM chip according to Google, so what on earth is it!?!

Porsche Taycan Anyone know what this is? IMG_1083
Porsche Taycan Anyone know what this is? IMG_1084

gianteli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Looks like an elevator door controller. Maybe this is a remote garage door or gate activator?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I think it’s a tracking device. From a quick google search, that SARA-G450 appears to be a “quad band GSM/GPRS module”.

OP
OP
SteveMc

SteveMc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I wonder if thieves stole a car, found the tracker, ripped it off and threw it over my wall...

gianteli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The PCB is from a controller, not a tracker, so I would lean towards something like a cloud-connected actuator for a door or gate.

jonjon808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Looks like an elevator door controller. Maybe this is a remote garage door or gate activator?
I think you are right. MX94V printed on the PCB is an elevator door controller. GSM module would allow for remote activation.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think it’s a tracking device. From a quick google search, that SARA-G450 appears to be a “quad band GSM/GPRS module”.
I reckon also judging by the rough shape and size and external connector, its the remains of a vehicle tracker (not necessarily the Porsche tracker).

You can see test pads for "IGN" (ignition) and "+12V" on the circuit board on the RH side traces, and beneath that "GNSS" which is for GPS/GLONASS/BeiDou/Galileo global satellite navigation receiver.

The UBLOX module is a mobile data module with said GNSS capability. UBLOX are big on embedded system GNSS stuff like this.