Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
had an email from Octopus about the prices dropping from April but this doesn't seem to apply to the Intelligent Go but rather those on flexible and fixed.

the only price change it showed me was gas unit prices dropping 1.5p
If that’s the case that will mean OI will be 6p per unit more expensive than OVO on standard rate which is considerable! Might have to reconsider if so! ( and more expensive for ev rate and only 6 hours, where as on OVO I can charge anytime and a full battery at 7p!)
Sponsored

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
If that’s the case that will mean OI will be 6p per unit more expensive than OVO on standard rate which is considerable! Might have to reconsider if so! ( and more expensive for ev rate and only 6 hours, where as on OVO I can charge anytime and a full battery at 7p!)
But you can power the rest of your house for 6 hours on OI. I don’t think you can with Ovo. So it depends what else you can do with the power in those 6 hours. For us, that is charge a second car and our house batteries plus things like run the washing machine and dishwasher. That is a huge bonus if you can do that

Silverback

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Model 3 Perf.
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Best electricity tariff for EV switching today IMG_1752.PNG

I would recommend Octopus. Works perfectly for me and they installed the smart meter for me. Intelligent Octopus go at the 7.5p rate.
Not sure what has happened to my trip data, but it is pretty impressive (average speed and consumption) Shame it is not true.

Jin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (MY24)
Country flag
just had another email pop up from Octopus showing prices changes to OI. the peak rate coming down ~3p, off-peak still the same.. standing charge up 10p!

Porsche Taycan Best electricity tariff for EV switching today Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 15.55.52

Jin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (MY24)
Country flag
But you can power the rest of your house for 6 hours on OI. I don’t think you can with Ovo. So it depends what else you can do with the power in those 6 hours. For us, that is charge a second car and our house batteries plus things like run the washing machine and dishwasher. That is a huge bonus if you can do that
exactly this from me too. I fill our battery storage off-peak at 7.5p and that gets us through the majority of the day which would have been at peak rate. Also means my solar excess gets sold at 15p rather than storing it (where I use the energy bought at 7.5p!)

OI works well for us and saved a significant amount off my monthly leccy bill

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
just had another email pop up from Octopus showing prices changes to OI. the peak rate coming down ~3p, off-peak still the same.. standing charge up 10p!

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 15.55.52.png
I am on Octopus Go an this was my email today.

Porsche Taycan Best electricity tariff for EV switching today Screenshot_20240314_162510_Adobe Acrobat

n3ophyte

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Nissan GT-R
Country flag
Yikes Fishy. Your getting rinsed on the standing charge😱

Here‘s my latest …

Porsche Taycan Best electricity tariff for EV switching today IMG_0578

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Yikes Fishy. Your getting rinsed on the standing charge😱

Here‘s my latest …

IMG_0578.jpeg
I am just going to switch to IO.

Just checked and it's 60.19p
Its postcode specific and we obviously get screwed for some reason. 😔

Last edited:

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
exactly this from me too. I fill our battery storage off-peak at 7.5p and that gets us through the majority of the day which would have been at peak rate. Also means my solar excess gets sold at 15p rather than storing it (where I use the energy bought at 7.5p!)

OI works well for us and saved a significant amount off my monthly leccy bill
I’ve been looking into solar/ batteries recently and was told by an installer you can’t have an ev tariff and export tariff combined! I take it you have? Can you share details? The reason they said not possible is basically what you are doing, storing at cheap rate and selling back higher!

n3ophyte

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve been looking into solar/ batteries recently and was told by an installer you can’t have an ev tariff and export tariff combined! I take it you have? Can you share details? The reason they said not possible is basically what you are doing, storing at cheap rate and selling back higher!
Yes you can. Intelligent Octopus Go for 7.5p import off peak + Octopus Outgoing for 15p export all-day. 🙄

Reactions: Jin

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Yes you can. Intelligent Octopus Go for 7.5p import off peak + Octopus Outgoing for 15p export all-day. 🙄
sorry, prob me being thick but is it octopus intelligent for 6 hours or the octopus go for 4 hours? And then add the octopus outgoing.

Jin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (MY24)
Country flag
As @n3ophyte said it’s possible and allowed by octopus. Was a good few months ago they allowed you to be on the export tariff.
Mentioned here:

https://octopus.energy/blog/outgoing-faqs/#goandoutgoing

Porsche Taycan Best electricity tariff for EV switching today IMG_0810

n3ophyte

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
sorry, prob me being thick but is it octopus intelligent for 6 hours or the octopus go for 4 hours? And then add the octopus outgoing.
You can have either the “Octopus Intelligent Go” or the “Octopus Go” tariffs paired with “Octopus Outgoing”.

Jin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (MY24)
Country flag
You can have either the “Octopus Intelligent Go” or the “Octopus Go” tariffs paired with “Octopus Outgoing”.
having a quick google (these damn names
Don’t make it easy!) but it looks like those on Go can get export lite at 8p/kwh export.

on intelligent go you can get the 15p tariff. 😮💨

https://octopus.energy/help-and-faqs/articles/can-i-still-export-my-energy-if-i-m-on-an-ev-tariff/

intelligent go has worked perfectly with the Taycan when using a zappi for the integration.
Plug in, put amount of charge I want added and for when.. and that’s it.

I’ve plugged in a good few times first thing and asked for a charge to be complete and got day time slots (usually between 9-11 and then a few hours post lunch). Great as then the rest of the house consumption is cheap and I top up battery, run a cheeky day time wash etc.

Current task is to automate this all with
Home assistant but that’s a thread for another forum 😂
Sponsored