First Name
Rik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo MY22
Country flag
Hi all,

Which files are recommended to play on the Burmester audio system? Currently, I mainly use standard Spotify and those files output is just average in my opinion. It can be much better. AppleMusic seems slightly better but not sure.

Is there a way to get the most out of this system by downloading files in a typical format and perhaps use USB connection?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I am pretty sure that wireless CarPlay messes up the sound. Better to get it direct to the PCM than scramble it through Bluetooth. A wire is probably better. Beyond that, I don’t know

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I use lossless compressed (ALAC or FLAC) files I ripped myself and stored on a USB stick.

That is as good as it gets (higher than 44/16 files contain nothing extra audible, just more money and bigger files though they may be a nicer mix).

In a car with a background noise level of around 70dB it may be better to have dynamic range compression too so the quiet bits aren’t lost in the background noise, but I don't rip like that myself since I mainly listen in a room with a background noise level of around 25 to 30dB.

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
I am pretty sure that wireless CarPlay messes up the sound. Better to get it direct to the PCM than scramble it through Bluetooth. A wire is probably better. Beyond that, I don’t know
Note that CarPlay actually uses WiFi for data beyond the initial handshake. It's still compressed AAC, but it should be better than Bluetooth.

Wired CarPlay however encodes audio as lossless LPCM.

See page 57
https://devstreaming-cdn.apple.com/...22_developing_carplay_systems_part_1.pdf?dl=1

OP
OP
Rik_CT4s

Rik_CT4s

First Name
Rik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Note that CarPlay actually uses WiFi for data beyond the initial handshake. It's still compressed AAC, but it should be better than Bluetooth.

Wired CarPlay however encodes audio as lossless LPCM.

See page 57
https://devstreaming-cdn.apple.com/...22_developing_carplay_systems_part_1.pdf?dl=1
Anything for android? Or can I download FLAC files somewhere and use USBc connection to the PCM to play the files??
Hope there is a better way to make good use of the Burmester.
Thanks

utsteve98

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
Hi all,

Which files are recommended to play on the Burmester audio system? Currently, I mainly use standard Spotify and those files output is just average in my opinion. It can be much better. AppleMusic seems slightly better but not sure.

Is there a way to get the most out of this system by downloading files in a typical format and perhaps use USB connection?

Thanks!
You should likely be using wired CarPlay for best results. Apple Music has several titles that are Apple Lossless. Tidal also has many options that are FLAC for their premium service. I thought I also read that the Apple Music app in the built in car interface worked with burmester for playing beat quality audio and other format such as Dolby Atmos.

OP
OP
Rik_CT4s

Rik_CT4s

First Name
Rik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi all.
I downloaded some FLAC files and I must say it does sound better overall.
Currently, I am playing around with the Burmester settings, and it is hard to find a commonly agreed overall setting as my music choice is wide.
Bass is a bit much for my liking, so may go negative on this (perhaps -2 or -3), high tones perhaps +1 or +2. I may play around with the other settings either live or aura.

It is not that easy to find a good setting.

If anyone has suggestions please share.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Hi all.
I downloaded some FLAC files and I must say it does sound better overall.
Currently, I am playing around with the Burmester settings, and it is hard to find a commonly agreed overall setting as my music choice is wide.
Bass is a bit much for my liking, so may go negative on this (perhaps -2 or -3), high tones perhaps +1 or +2. I may play around with the other settings either live or aura.

I don’t have the Burmester but understand how difficult it is to get good sound balance in the car. If you want accuracy it is worth doing some tests with human speech as the source since it is the sound we are all most familiar with. If the sound is convincing on speech it will be uncoloured on music too.

Presumably because of the low frequency of the background noise most car stereos have ludicrously excessive bass IME. This may not be too awful on some music but high fidelity it ain't!

Personally I leave serious listening to my home where I am lucky enough to have a dedicated room. In the car if I set the sound as neutral as possible when parked the bass is soon lost once driving and I haven’t found an ideal solution in 50 years as a music loving driver, so it is trying to get least bad rather than expecting good IME.

OP
OP
Rik_CT4s

Rik_CT4s

First Name
Rik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t have the Burmester but understand how difficult it is to get good sound balance in the car. If you want accuracy it is worth doing some tests with human speech as the source since it is the sound we are all most familiar with. If the sound is convincing on speech it will be uncoloured on music too.

Presumably because of the low frequency of the background noise most car stereos have ludicrously excessive bass IME. This may not be too awful on some music but high fidelity it ain't!

Personally I leave serious listening to my home where I am lucky enough to have a dedicated room. In the car if I set the sound as neutral as possible when parked the bass is soon lost once driving and I haven’t found an ideal solution in 50 years as a music loving driver, so it is trying to get least bad rather than expecting good IME.
Thank you.
I will try that as well.

Now I decided to put the balance a tiny bit more to the back instead of a centered setting...also that helps in my opinion as it sounds a bit too loud upfront otherwise.

the Auro 3D setting sounds good to me and I put it at 7 (out of 9). To me it is a tiny bit better than the other settings alhough "live" setting comes close. The other settings sound a bit "empty" to me
Bass -2...high tone +1.
Still playing around.
Getting there.
But the sound is clear, good quality system. I had Bose before on my 4s and bow the Burmester on the TSCT, and I find the Burmester better as long you get the settings right. Is it worth the extra 5k, not for my liking but the car came with this option. Good to have but would settle with the Bose as well I reckon. Having said that, now I start playing around I start to value it a bit more.

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I test some songs on quality headphones and try to match the sound in the car.
Auro 3D effect is basically surround sound and is pretty bad IMO, the voices sound very unnatural over level 4. For EDM sounds good.
To raise sound stage at dashboard level I use Live settings and 2 levels balance on the back.
Bass -2.
The Burmester system is powerful and clear but the doors vibrate too much so sound deadening material would improve it and indeed not worth 5k over Bose.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Have you tried the Burmester app? It includes tutorials and curated music for testing/setup.

OP
OP
Rik_CT4s

Rik_CT4s

First Name
Rik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

ThaJamez

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
@Rik @andb Bass at -2? I have bass set at +5 and sometimes it feels like there is almost no bass 😄

Or my BM subwoofer is broken or not functioning correctly?
Sponsored