Buying used Taycan. Options to avoid

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo, BMW 330e
Country flag
Is it true electric charging port covers result in fake front vents?
Yes, and its the main reason that I optioned it. In Sweden they put out a huge amount of coarsely cut gravel on the road in the winter and it goes everywhere. Didnt want that down the side of the car.

There are very few options perhaps possibly none that should be avoided.

But its highly individual. For instance, I couldnt get the 14 way comfort seats comfortable at all, but the 18 way sport seats are really comfortable to me.

I am not a fan of privacy glass, but I saw one with it and one without and I preferred the look of privacy glass. 3 seats in the back - just in case I need to ferry an extra passenger (has happened). Folding mirrors because our car parking spaces are tiny. sport sound because I kind of like it sometimes ( though it was by far the stupidest thing I would say I optioned ). And the list goes on.
Sponsored

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
I don’t understand the visual difference between privacy and non privacy. Have both sitting in my garage right now and can’t tell a difference unless I roll down the window and look at the thickness. I will say the privacy is a lot quieter.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I don’t understand the visual difference between privacy and non privacy. Have both sitting in my garage right now and can’t tell a difference unless I roll down the window and look at the thickness. I will say the privacy is a lot quieter.
Is it thicker? I just thought it was rear windows blacked out which IMO ruins the flowing lines of the car.

You aren’t confusing it with the heat and sound insulated glass perhaps?

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
Is it thicker? I just thought it was rear windows blacked out which IMO ruins the flowing lines of the car.

You aren’t confusing it with the heat and sound insulated glass perhaps?
yea maybe that’s what I am confusing it with. Yes it’s just thicker.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yea maybe that’s what I am confusing it with. Yes it’s just thicker.
I have the sound and heat reduction glass which has a plastic lamination in it the middle of it as part of the sound insulation..

I do NOT have privacy glass which blacks out the rear windows and, to my eye looks awful and makes thje interior dark.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
Yes, and its the main reason that I optioned it. In Sweden they put out a huge amount of coarsely cut gravel on the road in the winter and it goes everywhere. Didnt want that down the side of the car.

There are very few options perhaps possibly none that should be avoided.

But its highly individual. For instance, I couldnt get the 14 way comfort seats comfortable at all, but the 18 way sport seats are really comfortable to me.

I am not a fan of privacy glass, but I saw one with it and one without and I preferred the look of privacy glass. 3 seats in the back - just in case I need to ferry an extra passenger (has happened). Folding mirrors because our car parking spaces are tiny. sport sound because I kind of like it sometimes ( though it was by far the stupidest thing I would say I optioned ). And the list goes on.
It's pretty much a fact that options to avoid (or "need") is extremely subjective ("highly individual", as you put it). For example, I'd never option any wheels larger than what comes from the factory in a BEV, where larger wheels reduce range. I'd also never option a sound system; the base sound system is fine, and if I want an impressive sound system, I have it much better at home than I could ever get in any car (and I buy Porsches to focus on the drive, not on the music). Innodrive also sucks, as said in this thread, and I wouldn't waste money on it. The electric charge-port door has quit working on more than one Taycan user, which can be a huge issue, and I worry that rocks kicked up by the tires can harm the structure put in place there in the vent "hole".

Here in America, we can't get an all-metal roof, but I'd get it if I could, hands down; glass roofs are hard to keep clean, can break easily from falling/kicked-up debris, add weight to the car and reduce range, add glare and heat (though paying for the insanely expensive electrochromic glass is an option, even though it only goes translucent and not opaque).

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
I’m considering buying a used Taycan turbo with the intention of keeping it long term.

Trying to learn as much as I can.

The panoramic roof was one option I really wanted. After reading about cracks and replacement cost, it’s the one option that I definitely don’t want.

Are there any other options that would be great on a lease, but you would avoid if you owned the car?
I would question whether a Turbo is worth the premium over a 4S !

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have the sound and heat reduction glass which has a plastic lamination in it the middle of it as part of the sound insulation..

I do NOT have privacy glass which blacks out the rear windows and, to my eye looks awful and makes thje interior dark.
I can’t imagine not having privacy, panoramic roof, 21s and Bose… 18 way sports seats are so much more comfortable and supportive too. Must have auto fold mirrors too - why an extra??

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
When I looked at ordering 4S v Turbo, the price difference would've been around £15k even IF I'd wanted a 4S with all the cost options that came as standard on a Turbo. That's still quite a step up (though to me it was worth it to stay ahead of performance developments on considerably cheaper upcoming EVs), but at used prices the reduced Turbo premium becomes much more tempting.

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When I looked at ordering 4S v Turbo, the price difference would've been around £15k even IF I'd wanted a 4S with all the cost options that came as standard on a Turbo. That's still quite a step up (though to me it was worth it to stay ahead of performance developments on considerably cheaper upcoming EVs), but at used prices the reduced Turbo premium becomes much more tempting.
I’ve not spotted a Turbo ‘premium’ in the uk and performance feels similar- in fact borrowed a Turbo S Taycan at a Porsche event and was seriously underwhelmed by the experience. I do think the 4S is the sweet spot for value versus fun if specified to your choice. If I was totally minted I would possibly buy a Turbo/Turbo S but I don’t think they offer value for money and neither have a Turbo anyway!!!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can’t imagine not having privacy, panoramic roof, 21s and Bose
You and almost everybody else.

One of the reasons I can't find a used Taycan I would be prepared to spend my own money on is they pretty well all have a glass roof, which I hate, privacy glass which I hate even more and have monochrome paintwork which I am bored by.

Bose would neither put me off nor be a deal maker, I'd prefer Burmester over standard, perhaps, but Bose is meh from a SQ pov, as usual.
The Porsche wheels vary a lot aesthetically to my eye with most not being very attractive at all but the ones I like are all 21"

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I do think the 4S is the sweet spot for value versus fun
New that was my view too, but used maybe a turbo has depreciated more so changes that.
IMO the Turbo S is only worth it if you want all the extras it has as standard or live somewhere where traffic light drags are a thing/possible, and you are into that sort of thing.

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
New that was my view too, but used maybe a turbo has depreciated more so changes that.
IMO the Turbo S is only worth it if you want all the extras it has as standard or live somewhere where traffic light drags are a thing/possible, and you are into that sort of thing.
I suppose it depends what’s around secondhand. The Turbo is still more expensive than a well specified 4S in most of the adverts I see. I would buy as new as possible within budget.

Last edited:

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo, BMW 330e
Country flag
When I bought, a lot of the options I wanted were included on the Turbo like WuffvonTrips said, but there was the part shortage going on so the Turbo was prioritised (I got mine in 4 months) with things such as the matrix lights and the electric steering column adjustment that you couldn't even option on non-Turbo models because they only had a finite amount of them.

I can’t imagine not having privacy, panoramic roof, 21s and Bose… 18 way sports seats are so much more comfortable and supportive too. Must have auto fold mirrors too - why an extra??
Porsche being "cheap". Quite a few of the options should really be standard. Side airbags in the rear, reversing camera, can of stuff for putting in the wheels when you have a puncture, probably some other stuff that I have forgotten.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I’ve not spotted a Turbo ‘premium’ in the uk...
😮 :whatsgoingon: The premium to which I refer is on prices!
...and performance feels similar- in fact borrowed a Turbo S Taycan at a Porsche event and was seriously underwhelmed by the experience. I do think the 4S is the sweet spot for value versus fun if specified to your choice.
I've always maintained that the 4S is the sweet spot, more so when buying new.
You couldn't detect the 27.5% difference in max persistent power between otherwise pretty much identical vehicles? Were you driving on grass? ;)
Sponsored