Buying used Taycan. Options to avoid

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
Porsche being "cheap". Quite a few of the options should really be standard.
... can of stuff for putting in the wheels when you have a puncture
While I agree and this is my first car without a jack and spare, I understand the logic on this one decision. Since Porsche provides roadside assistance and recommend tire replacement rather than patching, a spare and jack just add weight where it can otherwise be eliminated.

Having said that, the thought of having a flat with no way to change on my own gives me more anxiety than EV range concerns. ;)
Sponsored

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
😮 :whatsgoingon: The premium to which I refer is on prices!

I've always maintained that the 4S is the sweet spot, more so when buying new.
You couldn't detect the 27.5% difference in max persistent power between otherwise pretty much identical vehicles? Were you driving on grass? ;)
Drove a Porsche Taycan Turbo S on a route planned by Porsche. Marginal speed improvements on a 4S but not £50k worth!!

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo, BMW 330e
Country flag
While I agree and this is my first car without a jack and spare, I understand the logic on this one decision. Since Porsche provides roadside assistance and recommend tire replacement rather than patching, a spare and jack just add weight where it can otherwise be eliminated.

Having said that, the thought of having a flat with no way to change on my own gives me more anxiety than EV range concerns. ;)
I am pretty sure the real reason is margin/revenue. Not having a spare of course changes how you can package a car, for example increasing the potential for space. And it’s sold to us as weight saving. Porsche is very profitable for a reason.

GMA I personally think has the most refreshing options pricing of any car manufacturer.

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
You and almost everybody else.

One of the reasons I can't find a used Taycan I would be prepared to spend my own money on is they pretty well all have a glass roof, which I hate, privacy glass which I hate even more and have monochrome paintwork which I am bored by.

Bose would neither put me off nor be a deal maker, I'd prefer Burmester over standard, perhaps, but Bose is meh from a SQ pov, as usual.
The Porsche wheels vary a lot aesthetically to my eye with most not being very attractive at all but the ones I like are all 21"
This is my problem. I never see any used (or even new really) Taycan without the glass roof, and I do not want the glass roof. I also want Burmester and Turbo. I look over ads where occasionally a Turbo comes up with Burmester and some of the performance features, but always a glass roof. I don't think I'll be happy if I compromised on that.

I thought there's no spare because there's no available room under the trunk floor. Have you ever seen what is there? We know the subwoofer is there on some builds, but what else? I suspect that room is already taken.

Last edited:

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
This is my problem. I never see any used (or even new really) Taycan without the glass roof, and I do not want the glass roof. I also want Burmester and Turbo. I look over ads where occasionally a Turbo comes up with Burmester and some of the performance features, but always a glass roof. I don't think I'll be happy if I compromised on that.

I thought there's no spare because there's no available room under the trunk floor. Have you ever seen what is there? We know the subwoofer is there on some builds, but what else? I suspect that room is already taken.
I could be wrong but I thought the glass roof was standard on the turbo.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Standard spec varies from country as do options.
It isn’t standard in the UK on any model.
We don’t get packaged sets of options either, in general, unlike the US.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I am pretty sure the real reason is margin/revenue. Not having a spare of course changes how you can package a car, for example increasing the potential for space. And it’s sold to us as weight saving. Porsche is very profitable for a reason.

GMA I personally think has the most refreshing options pricing of any car manufacturer.
I think as cars have got heavier and the tyres bigger the space required, even for a space saver wheel, is a waste given how often one needs it.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
There's a silver saloon, Turbo, no pano on the approved site right now. 12mls. £118k (and must be deals to be had) :)

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
There's a silver saloon, Turbo, no pano on the approved site right now. 12mls. £118k (and must be deals to be had) :)
BUT...

Just noticed you're in the US? Would rhd be OK 😅

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes E63
Country flag
Drove a Porsche Taycan Turbo S on a route planned by Porsche. Marginal speed improvements on a 4S but not £50k worth!!
I test drove the 4S and was underwhelmed.
Then again I was coming from a performance MS Tesla. I’m gonna test a used turbo next week.

bigkraig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo S, GT3
Country flag
I think as cars have got heavier and the tyres bigger the space required, even for a space saver wheel, is a waste given how often one needs it.
not to mention caliper and rotor sizes, the spare becomes a very expensive wheel

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
A Vredestein Space Master 19x6 collapsible spare from a wrecked Macan on eBay fills out a lot of the CT cargo area yet doesn't take up that much cargo capacity if you have items that you can pick inside and around it (since the collapsed profile is so minimal).
The version that comes integrated with my A6 Allroad doesn't take up much space since the subwoofer is packed into it.
Obviously the EV battery pack complicates all this, but if an EV manufacturer really wanted to integrate a Vredestein Space Master collapsible spare below the cargo floor, seems feasible w/o sacrificing too much -- I suspect the bigger problem is that few EV purchasers care enough to merit the additional design by any car company to modify the battery pack shape.

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
Glass roof isn’t standard in US. It just seems like it because the dealer cars usually get spec’ed with “premium package” which bundles it with some other stuff.