Bye Bye Taycan

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
My GTS has done 14,000 miles in 2 years and even though they are near the end I still have the original Pirelli chocolate tyres.
THAT is proof of some sort!
That's a little sad. Sort of like saving your girlfriend for her next boyfriend! šŸ˜‰

My car is only 2 years old with 5,500 miles and I swap out summer and winter tires, and my summers are already more than 50% worn, and I think I'm too gentle!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ross

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
That's a little sad. Sort of like saving your girlfriend for her next boyfriend! šŸ˜‰

My car is only 2 years old with 5,500 miles and I swap out summer and winter tires, and my summers are already more than 50% worn, and I think I'm too gentle!
I have heard that analogy!
Keeping a Porsche in the garage and driving a banger every day. That is foolish

I Didnā€™t save it for the weekend!

It was my only car. Daily driving you canā€™t go around smashing it. it was driven gently just because there was no option.

Still loved being in and around it every day.

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
You can also view the launch count using a cheap OBDII bluetooth reader and the free CarScanner app.

IMG_1219.jpeg
Whoa I had no idea! I bought my car used with only 1800 miles with a possible 100 launches ha! Going to check now...

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Whoa I had no idea! I bought my car used with only 1800 miles with a possible 100 launches ha! Going to check now...
Perhaps a naive question, but, so long as the tires are in good shape, what would multiple launches say about the condition or value of an EV? I could see that being an issue for ICE vehicles, but EVs?

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Perhaps a naive question, but, so long as the tires are in good shape, what would multiple launches say about the condition or value of an EV? I could see that being an issue for ICE vehicles, but EVs?
I mean EVs are probably too new to know fully, and certainly that's true for Taycans in terms of what it could mean 5 years down the road. I suspect any launch means extra stress on the motors, transmission and battery, but I'd worry less about launches in an EV than in an ICE vehicle simply because (with my non-engineering legal background) fewer moving parts means fewer stress points for potential failure?

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
So how does one know that JimBob didnā€™t charge their Taycan to 100% all the time and let it sit? Many people have complained that the non-intuitive software makes this all too easy, but what if an owner let this happen all the time. How can a prospective buyer detect this or the battery degradation that would result? Can somebody think up a procedure?

As far as ā€œgently usedā€, I would think the suspension parts could be inspected for wear. But what about motors? Do they have bearings or mounts that can wear with excessive launching?

As for the interior, that a negotiable item and up to personal preference. If one is ok with wear on the interior, the price should be lowered commensurately like with any used car.

violuma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 RWD
Country flag
So how does one know that JimBob didnā€™t charge their Taycan to 100% all the time and let it sit? [...] Can somebody think up a procedure?
The overall state of health of the battery would also show up on the OBDII report that told us how many times JimBob felt the need to launch control. You could also see whether the battery cells are roughly looking like they are in sync, or if there are a few stragglers that are not being balanced properly and may be canaries in a proverbial lithium mine.

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I still maintain anyone new to Porsche buying a Taycan for half off is still likely unaware of the Porsche tax. Multiple issues documented here to even just the windshield or pano roof.

100% get one at a discount, but take the money you saved and expect it to get used over time too. šŸ˜‚

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
At least for me, I put value in how a car was driven. I can't say with 100% certainty, but I think launch count is a pretty indicator on how the car was driven. With regard to condition, I'd say a 50 launch count car vs a one launch count car has a little more wear and tear on it--given all other things being equal between the two. With such a high launch count on a low mileage car, it's pretty clear what the previous owner was doing on the weekends.

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
If itā€™s Cpo or warrantied I wouldnā€™t even worry about anything.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
You can also view the launch count using a cheap OBDII bluetooth reader and the free CarScanner app.

IMG_1219.jpeg
Oooooo someone's not going to like my number when I sell.

It doesn't do any harm, IMO, on an EV. Big deal.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Same. There's no overrevs to worry about, no oil to have tested for metal or whatever, no IMS bearings to replace (whatever those are...). I don't know anybody that takes super good care of their car that then decides to thrash it on the road. I drive mine enthusiastically, but it's exceptionally well cared for, and that to me is obvious when you look at it. Similarly, when I look at used cars online I can always tell the lessor who just didn't care. And the car may still be mechanically sound despite that, but there's going to be a correlation.
When buying an EV one should perhaps pay as much attention to the motor as you do the fuel tank when buying an ICE car and as much attention to the battery condition as the engine in a ICE car.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Oooooo someone's not going to like my number when I sell.

It doesn't do any harm, IMO, on an EV. Big deal.
In the 18 months I have had my car I have been first at traffic lights with a clear road ahead only a handful of times. Twice I decided to try launch control, once fairly early on on winter tyres and a wet road and the second time on the way to Silverstone with my grandson, who wanted to see what the fuss was about it was more impressive with summer tyres on a dry roadā€¦

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
At least for me, I put value in how a car was driven. I can't say with 100% certainty, but I think launch count is a pretty indicator on how the car was driven. With regard to condition, I'd say a 50 launch count car vs a one launch count car has a little more wear and tear on it--given all other things being equal between the two. With such a high launch count on a low mileage car, it's pretty clear what the previous owner was doing on the weekends.
I hear you, but impact of usage on cars can be counterintuitive, although I think it may be more straightforward for EVs. For example, I see other club coupes like mine (sold in late 05 or early 06) with only 1-2K and I know thatā€™s awful for the car even though it sounds good. Mine has nearly 30K but it is driven regularly and cared for impeccably. I would take a car like mine any day because disuse is also bad for cars, at least for ICE cars. Donā€™t know about EVs.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
I hear you, but impact of usage on cars can be counterintuitive, although I think it may be more straightforward for EVs. For example, I see other club coupes like mine (sold in late 05 or early 06) with only 1-2K and I know thatā€™s awful for the car even though it sounds good. Mine has nearly 30K but it is driven regularly and cared for impeccably. I would take a car like mine any day because disuse is also bad for cars, at least for ICE cars. Donā€™t know about EVs.
I do not know either if no use for EVā€™s is bad?

But I remember vaguely something about questions raised by garages when cars had not been in regular use. There was some discussion about warranty impact???
Sponsored