C17r15

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GTS ST
Country flag
Sharing a mini project of mine for posterity.

While I like my slate grey race-tex interior, the bland grey seat back covers and the surface area they represent relative to the rest of the interior have always bothered me. They remind me of interiors from Ford Econovans.​
Taking inspiration from Porsche's LWBS, I had carbon fiber seat back covers made from a spare set I picked up. Although they serve zero performance purpose, I much prefer the aesthetics over the stock units.​

After:
Porsche Taycan Carbon fiber seat back covers with installation steps IMG_1684
Porsche Taycan Carbon fiber seat back covers with installation steps IMG_1683

Porsche Taycan Carbon fiber seat back covers with installation steps IMG_1681

Before:
Porsche Taycan Carbon fiber seat back covers with installation steps IMG_1493
Porsche Taycan Carbon fiber seat back covers with installation steps IMG_1494

Side-by-side:
Porsche Taycan Carbon fiber seat back covers with installation steps IMG_1664

Creating the carbon fiber seat back covers:
1) Donor spare seat back covers were ~$250 per from eBay. Covers are identical between driver and passenger seats and share the same part number, just be mindful that seat backs are different between the 14- and 18-way seats.​
2) Depending on what you're looking for (weave/pattern, finish, customizations, turnaround time, standing of the shop, etc.), I've gotten quotes from $1,400 to $3,000+ to cut/sand the seat backs down to the plastic frame, layup the carbon fiber fabric, and seal with resin then clear coat. If there's serious interest, drop me a DM and I can refer you to the shop I used for slightly better pricing.​
Porsche uses a 2x2 twill weave pattern in gloss on exterior and weight-bearing parts, which is what I went with:​
Porsche Taycan Carbon fiber seat back covers with installation steps IMG_1665
For comparison, Porsche uses 1x1 plain weave in matte finish in Taycan’s interior trim pieces (my steering wheel example below). Feedback I got from shops is that matte finish visually flattens the carbon fiber texture and does not work as well on surfaces this large.
Porsche Taycan Carbon fiber seat back covers with installation steps IMG_1678

Installation:
I tackled the installation myself. Removing the seat back cover took me ~2 hours on the first seat, and <1 hour on the second seat once I figured out the steps and became comfortable with the force needed. Below are the steps to hopefully save you some time:​
  1. No need to remove the seats from the car, and battery / 12V power does not need to be unhooked

2. Start with the seat position at max height and seat back forward, unhook 2 clips at the end of elastic bands under the seat from behind by hand (markup on picture from an eBay listing)
    Porsche Taycan Carbon fiber seat back covers with installation steps IMG_1677

3. Using an interior trim removal tool, pull the felt cover away from the base of the seat back cover while disengaging 8 clips that hold the rubber strip on the felt cover securing it in place

4. Remove 2x torx-25 screws located just inside the seat back cover
    Porsche Taycan Carbon fiber seat back covers with installation steps IMG_1667

5. Using the interior trim removal tool and/or a blunt butter knife, pull the leather away from the seat back cover. This is the most time-consuming step, and the motion here is to pull the leather toward the rear of the car while simultaneously using the interior trim tool to disengage clip fasteners by applying force toward the front of the car. I started from the bottom of the seat on the outward-facing side (side of the seat adjustment switches) and slowly worked my way around the seat back cover, adjusting the seat back and base as needed to a position where force could be most comfortably applied. I counted 17 clips plus 6 metal fasteners per seat
    Porsche Taycan Carbon fiber seat back covers with installation steps IMG_1668
    Porsche Taycan Carbon fiber seat back covers with installation steps IMG_1669
    Porsche Taycan Carbon fiber seat back covers with installation steps IMG_1671

6. Once through step 5 above and the leather is fully detached from the seat back cover, remove 2x torx-27 screws from the top of the seat; the seat back cover can then be removed
    Porsche Taycan Carbon fiber seat back covers with installation steps IMG_1672
    Porsche Taycan Carbon fiber seat back covers with installation steps IMG_1674

Reinstalling the new seat back covers took ~30 minutes per side following the above steps in reverse order. The only exception is to begin reattaching the leather by folding the rubber edging into clips from the top of seat to ensure that it is centered, then work your way down each side of the seat toward the base.

These steps are the same performed to remove the adjustable headrest, retrofit rear seat entertainment if not pre-wired (as it requires different seat back covers that have slots built in for the screens), prep the seat back cover for paint/wrap, or address this service bulletin https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10222546-0001.pdf. I didn't experience any squeaking from seats pre-project, but I applied some felt pads to the new seat backs just in case since it's easy to do as a precaution.

CB1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Well…this is nice. Been thinking about CF “mods” for the interior and this is next level!

Thanks for the post/inspiration!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
While this is not the kind of upgrade I would personally care to do, found the writeup very interesting and in just enough detail. I love to see how people DYI personalize their cars. It's inspiring me to perhaps write up some of my own upgrades in similar detail.

CB1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Very cool. I'd like them just for the purpose of holding up better when my kids kick the back of the seats!
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe dry kevlar would be another option. That gloss finish will scratch fast.

mjoe

First Name
Florian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Very good writeup thanks!
Is squeaking a broader problem? My driver seat - 14-way - squeaks on the upper right end.
Very annoying when leaning over to the passenger site..

OP
OP

C17r15

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GTS ST
Country flag
Very good writeup thanks!
Is squeaking a broader problem? My driver seat - 14-way - squeaks on the upper right end.
Very annoying when leaning over to the passenger site..
I didn’t have this issue, but it must have been broad enough and known by Porsche for a technical service bulletin to be issued. Not sure if those bulletins are published in Germany but could reference TSB 2227.1 with the dealership to address.

OP
OP

C17r15

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GTS ST
Country flag
Nice work. Looks really clean. My kids would destroy these :CWL:
Hopefully as my rear passenger had a hand in choosing the finish plus a few layers of ceramic coating these seat backs can last a little while

rim23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hopefully as my rear passenger had a hand in choosing the finish plus a few layers of ceramic coating these seat backs can last a little while
But ceramic coating doesn’t help against scratches. You’d better had them PPFed :D
Sponsored