Do NOT crack your panoramic glass!

VA_CT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Macan, 2022 4CT
Country flag
OKish, sort of.

I was out of town for a week and I specifically dropped the car off so it could be addressed during my trip. They assured me it would be, it was not.

Then another week afterward, me with no car.

I'm in the process of scheduling a move to California and don't have time for this to drag out much longer; if I don't get it resolved Monday I will pay it myself and fight with them directly for recompense.
Good luck with the move
Sponsored

Last edited:

OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Extraordinary. US$16K = AUD$25K. 10-12% of the purchase price for your average new Taycan here. Glad you got your car back @DerekS noting the less then perfect condition.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Extraordinary. US$16K = AUD$25K. 10-12% of the purchase price for your average new Taycan here. Glad you got your car back @DerekS noting the less then perfect condition.
I was also blown away that the repair was 10% of the price I paid for the entire car.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I was also blown away that the repair was 10% of the price I paid for the entire car.
Notice that this repair had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that Taycan is an EV. All those hit pieces complaining about the high cost of repairing EV's should just change to simply high cost of repairing modern cars.

That said, I think some of this has to do with how much customer is willing to pay, rather than actual cost. My kid's Corolla metal roof replacement (due to a dent that was too deep to just fix in place, so no major structural issues) costed $3,600 (and included front and rear glass replacement) which is ~13% of a new car price. Coincidence, or a result of some formula yielding the max insurances are willing to pay out?

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
[...] which is ~13% of a new car price. Coincidence, or a result of some formula yielding the max insurances are willing to pay out?
Health Insurance company exec: "hey guys, stop laughing for a sec; auto insurance is catching up to us.. nah, carry on. They're still far behind."

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Health Insurance company exec: "hey guys, stop laughing for a sec; auto insurance is catching up to us.. nah, carry on. They're still far behind."
It's the pharma or auto repair shops for your comparison, rather than the insurance guys, who might be optimizing prices here. No insurance company would be trying to increase their claims.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
It's the pharma or auto repair shops for your comparison, rather than the insurance guys, who might be optimizing prices here. No insurance company would be trying to increase their claims.
Maybe; the tide lifts all boats (and I should probably drop it ;-)).

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Off topic, but kind of related, I took a major rock hit to my windshield today. It chipped the windshield slightly (small and shallow; less than 2mm across) even with protection film. But no cracks. I’m pretty sure I’d be replacing my windshield right now if I didn’t have protection film.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Off topic, but kind of related, I took a major rock hit to my windshield today. It chipped the windshield slightly (small and shallow; less than 2mm across) even with protection film. But no cracks. I’m pretty sure I’d be replacing my windshield right now if I didn’t have protection film.
I’d still fill the chip to reduce chances of it spreading into a crack.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I’d still fill the chip to reduce chances of it spreading into a crack.
I can’t do that without removing the PPF, so I’m gonna let it ride and see whether or not I learn a lesson.

Edit- not PPF. There no paint. But you know what I mean.

DNADoc

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB S560e
Country flag
That is lunacy! What a crappy design....DEsigners should know that glass cracks! Any chance of body shop replacing glass with solid roof?

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
That is lunacy! What a crappy design....DEsigners should know that glass cracks! Any chance of body shop replacing glass with solid roof?
I would like to see a third party solution with some kind of a rollaway roof :)
Sponsored