EA Charging Plug Fails to Release

BigV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Taycan, 2023 Mercedes EQE 500 SUV
Country flag
I’ve been using the EA charging system for about 6 months. Recently, I’ve had three instances where the EA plug would not release from the car’s receptacle after I had pushed the vehicle’s release button. The last time it happened the charge indicator stayed green, and I had to use the manual release lanyard.

I made a service appointment a month from now, but in the meantime has anyone else experienced this? Is it an EA glitch or a hardware issue with the car? Thanks for any insights
Sponsored

daveb3473

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Yes. Frequently in the UK. I used the lanyard once. Found its better to go into the pcm and in the battery menu is a temporary release trigger. Dealer states no issue found.

I believe its a charger issue but for some reason the car won't release.

d00d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yes
Country flag
Happened to me because somehow I first needed to unlock the car with the remote after I got out of the car.
Now I just stop the charge in the Porsche application on the iPhone, get out of the car and press the button.

DoctorLife

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’ve been using the EA charging system for about 6 months. Recently, I’ve had three instances where the EA plug would not release from the car’s receptacle after I had pushed the vehicle’s release button. The last time it happened the charge indicator stayed green, and I had to use the manual release lanyard.

I made a service appointment a month from now, but in the meantime has anyone else experienced this? Is it an EA glitch or a hardware issue with the car? Thanks for any insights
I had this when I first used IONITY chargers but then realised release needs the car to be unlocked with the key fob. Same with my home charger. It wont release unless the car is unlocked. It’s been fine since.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Happened to me because somehow I first needed to unlock the car with the remote after I got out of the car.
Now I just stop the charge in the Porsche application on the iPhone, get out of the car and press the button.
This is interesting; while I haven’t experienced the charging issue, the car does act sometimes as if it’s locked at the end of a trip. With power off, opening the driver’s door does not seem to unlock the car; if I open a rear door, it wakes up and runs the “remote unlock” procedure: you can hear all locks unlocking, including the charging ports, preheating starts etc.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Tips to try before pulling lanyard. (I learned these from personal experience.)
1. Take your key fob and repeatedly press "unlock". More than once. No matter if you know the doors are unlocked.
If charge port believes car is locked, the plug release is locked and the port will not release the plug.
2. Use the PCM to stop charging:
PCM > charging > . . . > vehicle plug.
This only works if car believes charging process is still active. See pic below. If this works to stop charging, remove the plug quickly. Limited time after this step for plug release.
3. Do the 15 minute "reset". Turn off the car, exit it, lock doors, and take all key fobs out of range of the car for 15 minutes.
On sunny days it is hard to see the white light shining down on the plug that indicates the plug may be removed. You have to shade the port to see the light.
Porsche Taycan EA Charging Plug Fails to Release 1711306702135-ee

Re to your question has anyone else experienced this? See this thread, one of many.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BigV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes. Frequently in the UK. I used the lanyard once. Found its better to go into the pcm and in the battery menu is a temporary release trigger. Dealer states no issue found.

I believe its a charger issue but for some reason the car won't release.
Thank you for the info. The EA chargers are frequently hit or miss. Many in our area recently when through a plug replacement…which is when I started noticing the issue. Good tip to us the PCM option

OP
OP

BigV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tips to try before pulling lanyard. (I learned these from personal experience.)
1. Take your key fob and repeatedly press "unlock". More than once. No matter if you know the doors are unlocked.
If charge port believes car is locked, the plug release is locked and the port will not release the plug.
2. Use the PCM to stop charging:
PCM > charging > . . . > vehicle plug.
This only works if car believes charging process is still active. See pic below. If this works to stop charging, remove the plug quickly. Limited time after this step for plug release.
3. Do the 15 minute "reset". Turn off the car, exit it, lock doors, and take all key fobs out of range of the car for 15 minutes.
On sunny days it is hard to see the white light shining down on the plug that indicates the plug may be removed. You have to shade the port to see the light.
1711306702135-ee.png

Re to your question has anyone else experienced this? See this thread, one of many.
Great advice. I suppose the interface on our Tesla was similar in that the car definitely needed to be unlocked to remove the plug. Thanks for the thread…we are not alone!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
make sure passenger door is unlocked to release the plug lock

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag

I am not sure what the service appointment concerns..if it is to "fix" the lanyard, that is not necessary I believe. I had that happen and I simply manually re-fed the lanyard back into the hole from whence it came..

OP
OP

BigV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for that, David. I just assumed that having the driver's side unlocked would be sufficient.
I am not sure what the service appointment concerns..if it is to "fix" the lanyard, that is not necessary I believe. I had that happen and I simply manually re-fed the lanyard back into the hole from whence it came..
I had made the service appointment so they could check out the receptacle hardware. I fed the lanyard back into the hole. I spoke with an owner of a MY22 who couldn’t unplug his home charger. The dealer came to his house with a flatbed, disconnected his charger from the wall and transported the whole thing to the shop. Glad it didn’t get to that point with the EA charger 😜
Sponsored