FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
A handful of 718 GT4 motors have grenaded, yet the overwhelming majority are perfectly fine. Should all GT4 owners be freaking out about it?
If 991.1 GT3 owners (including myself) took up your view when engines started to fail, where would we be with your implied conclusion not to "freak out" about it? If owner's and others providing valuable test data (Dundon Motorsports) didn't speak out and organize, we would not have (without litigation I might add) an extended warranty on our engines covering 10 years or 120,000 miles.

BTW, they should be freaking out about it.
Sponsored

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
If 991.1 GT3 owners (including myself) took up your view when engines started to fail, where would we be with your implied conclusion not to "freak out" about it? If owner's and others providing valuable test data (Dundon Motorsports) didn't speak out and organize, we would not have (without litigation I might add) an extended warranty on our engines covering 10 years or 120,000 miles.

BTW, they should be freaking out about it.
Except the GT3 motors were failing in large numbers, well outside a normal/expected failure rate, and a specific defect was identified, one that was present in EVERY SINGLE MOTOR. We have neither of those present here. See the difference?

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
Except the GT3 motors were failing in large numbers, well outside a normal/expected failure rate, and a specific defect was identified, one that was present in EVERY SINGLE MOTOR. We have neither of those present here. See the difference?
You have slanted your view to support your position. There are still motors form 2014 and 2015 that have not failed, many in fact. You will say nothing short of outright fantasy to support your post's view - EVERY SINGLE MOTOR. Trust me you don't want to get into a debate over this, I have way more knowledge and experience in this area. PLEASE, let this not be another hijacked thread, I will not respond to any further post from you on this subject.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
@evanevery thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm sure we are all interested to hear how this plays out.

I am hopeful that the repair will happen quickly and get you back on the road as I greatly empathize with the hassle of having the car out of your control for an extended period.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@evanevery thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm sure we are all interested to hear how this plays out.

I am hopeful that the repair will happen quickly and get you back on the road as I greatly empathize with the hassle of having the car out of your control for an extended period.
+1

Jsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sorry to hear about this. I had the exact same thing happen a month ago. On 11/14 it was towed to the dealership. After some consultation they decided to replace the entire battery - was told it ships as a complete unit with the installation hardware needed. My car has been there one month now, and unfortunately we still have no ETA on the battery.

I’ve talked to Porsche NA twice in the past week, but I’m still waiting for my “case manager” there to tell me how they are going to make this right. Very disappointed and likely will be chatting with an attorney about how what sort of compensation I may be entitled to.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
So when "another brand" has a similar issue its because they are "substandard". But when "Our" beloved brand has this type of an issue its just because I "drew the short straw"...

Take a look at all the folks posting "Electrical System" issues and warnings in this forum because that is exactly how this problem manifests (announces) itself... Seems more than a few "drawing the short straw" here...

Anyway, I'm just back to post an update... Over 4 weeks in now and the car is still in the shop. I expect the holidayare not working in myfavor here. The dealer tells me the battery has shipped (via some sort of FEDEX freight I think), yet can not give me an estimate of when it should arrive (i.e. tracking info). They are expecting the car to be down for at least another 2 weeks...

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Take a look at all the folks posting "Electrical System" issues and warnings in this forum because that is exactly how this problem manifests (announces) itself... Seems more than a few "drawing the short straw" here...
To be fair though sometimes those are false alarms. Many times people restart the car and never hear about it again. Probably software bugs, which hopefully are fewer in number since the uPdate.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To be fair though sometimes those are false alarms. Many times people restart the car and never hear about it again. Probably software bugs, which hopefully are fewer in number since the uPdate.
I had "the update"...

I was also able to get my car started again after I let it sit for a while. ...and maybe would "never hear about it again" ...until I maybe I DID and was sitting at an interstate rest area in the middle of nowhere, in need of a tow, and outside my warranty period!

Maybe I was lucky that I was at home and I could let the car sit and get it restarted - but there was no way I was going to NOT have the dealer look at the car and tell me why it happened. I would have NEVER known the actual severity of the issue unless/until bought the car in. They ran diagnostics on my car (which was then "running" again) and found out about the failed cell(s) in my battery pack. Porsche recognizes this as a pretty severe issue as they are doing a full pack replacement. ...and my car had "restarted"....

If folks are getting these errors, just letting them "go away" (and hopefully never reappear), without bringing their vehicles in to find out why they are happening, then they could be needlessly setting themselves up for a major surprise later on.

If my car presents an error and refuses to start for any reason (or any duration) - I want to find out "why"! ...particularly while I am still under warranty!

(I've owned a lot of cars in my life and this is the first one that has ever left me stranded - luckily I was stranded at home!)

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I had "the update"...

I was also able to get my car started again after I let it sit for a while. ...and maybe would "never hear about it again" ...until I maybe I DID and was sitting at an interstate rest area in the middle of nowhere, in need of a tow, and outside my warranty period!

Maybe I was lucky that I was at home and I could let the car sit and get it restarted - but there was no way I was going to NOT have the dealer look at the car and tell me why it happened. I would have NEVER known the actual severity of the issue unless/until bought the car in. They ran diagnostics on my car (which was then "running" again) and found out about the failed cell(s) in my battery pack. Porsche recognizes this as a pretty severe issue as they are doing a full pack replacement. ...and my car had "restarted"....

If folks are getting these errors, just letting them "go away" (and hopefully never reappear), without bringing their vehicles in to find out why they are happening, then they could be needlessly setting themselves up for a major surprise later on.

If my car presents an error and refuses to start for any reason (or any duration) - I want to find out "why"! ...particularly while I am still under warranty!

(I've owned a lot of cars in my life and this is the first one that has ever left me stranded - luckily I was stranded at home!)
I can't disagree with any of this. I'm just sorry you're going through it.

Bigger picture: how dangerous is a failed cell? Does it just get taken out of commission and replaced with one of the "extra" ones? Is there any risk associated with them? Only Porsche knows.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can't disagree with any of this. I'm just sorry you're going through it.

Bigger picture: how dangerous is a failed cell? Does it just get taken out of commission and replaced with one of the "extra" ones? Is there any risk associated with them? Only Porsche knows.
Thanks.

Porsche decided to replace the pack completely on their own. I just brought the car in to find out what was wrong and why it refused to start. (They wanted me to have it towed in but there was no way was going to have some clown drag it up on a flatbed if it was "running". We could always get a tow arranged if it stopped running again (on the way to the dealer) but there was no way I was going to drive it anywhere except the dealer until I knew more about what had happened and could be sure it would never happen again).

They told me they had to order "some parts" and I actually had to ask "what parts?" before they told me it was the entire main battery. They did tell me diagnostics had posted "a failed cell" but apparently it's a big enough deal that the whole pack needs to be replaced...

$0.02: If folks are getting these errors, then I would suggest they bring their cars in instead of hoping they will never reappear....

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would kill to have my battery fail under warranty. Especially after getting 2 years of use out of it.
Thats nonsense.

I've owned 5 EV's now and this is the first vehicle I've EVER had any battery issues. I've owned a couple for over 5 years and never seen any range or appreciable battery degradation in any other of them.

The impression that these batteries are somehow a consumable is not accurate. (...at least not in my experience with Tesla, Chevy, and BMW electric power trains). I would certainly much rather my car NOT need to be disassembled in order to replace a prematurely failing component...

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
BTW... Battery Just arrived from Germany. I will post an update when I know more about the replacement process and how long it takes. (Other posts here on the forums seem to indicate only a day or so...)
Sponsored