Gen 1 vs Gen 1.5 differences

bogomya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes EQS
Country flag
All model-specific forums are like that, and it is not that difficult to tell the difference between isolated problems and epidemic issues, and epidemic issues of towing severity, or of weeks in the shop severity.
So if Porsche limited their efforts to battery/suspension/facia, I would really question buying this car.
With this attitude, you don't need a Porsche Taycan. There are probably no cars in the world, that have 0 issues (except for Toyota for sure :D). Trying to find problems on forums and convincing actual owners that they have issues is a very strange way to make a purchase decision.
Sponsored

Last edited:

d00d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yes
Country flag
My 2023 had a pinched cable causing unreadable TPMS, heater proactively replaced, battery recall checked out ok, and brake line replacement coming up.

Statistically you will have zero problems with one produced after the brake line fix on May 13th.

Porsche Taycan Gen 1 vs Gen 1.5 differences do-it-17

Last edited:

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
With this attitude, you don't need a Porsche Taycan. There are probably no cars in the world, that have 0 issues (except for Toyota for sure :D). Trying to find problems on forums and convincing actual owners that they have issues is a very strange way to make a purchase decision.
Wait, I have an issue?

Thanks for pointing it out, some random guy who started this thread!

I think the information the OP is asking for is what the Taycan development team can answer, not a forum of enthusiasts. At least right now this change in bill of materials is not public and why should Porsche make it public

My recommendation, OP, is you can do channel checks and pay expert networks try to get the information you’re asking for. Lastly, put on your engineering hat and do the analysis yourself.

You know what, why not take it to the next level? Buy a gen 1 and 1.5 Taycan and then strip the parts off and do the comparison side by side. You can make your own BOM!

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I would not be on the verge of purchasing a 180k$ car if thought the Taycan is a lost cause, but all indicators still point to a problematic incumbent version. I am not trolling, i am researching specific points.
Fair enough, let's reset this thread. This is all that the forum knows about the new Taycan: 🚨 2025 Taycan Officially Revealed! Specs, Wallpaper Photos, Videos & US Pricing | TaycanForum -- Porsche Taycan Owners, News, Discussions, Forums , with plenty of speculation for your reading pleasure. Be forewarned that the links to the technical presentations are broken (Porsche inadvertently published them, and reverted); I swear I saved them, but can't find them after a 15min search (perhaps someone else can share).

I won't pick through the rest of your points; I disagree with some, and you may be right on others. Just wanted to say that (since perhaps you may not be a regular reader):
- there have been several iterations of the HV heater part, and they still broke
- long time spent in the shop is more of an indicator of absence of parts or qualified techs, rather than of the severity of the defect. Iow, not everyone is fit to work near an orange cable.

I think it's a great car, would not hesitate buying it new again - yes, the gen 1. Good luck with your decision. (Love your avatar pic.)

Edit: yay! found the presentation. OP, DM me if you want it.

Last edited:

OP
OP
ze_shark

ze_shark

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
550M, F355GTS F1, S60 T8
Country flag
Thanks, i found the doc and there are indeed quite a few nuggets which speak to the underlying changes:

- new pouch cells, lower internal resistance
- new rear electric motor, higher power, 10kg lighter
- upgraded pulse inverter
- new heat pump with higher power
- new AC compressor running under 800V instead of 400V
- new Combined Booster Charger replacing DC/DC converter & HV booster (for 400V DC charging)
- new Power Distribution Unit
- new controller for the 11kW AC charger
- optimised brake pads

So all the critical systems are new: battery, rear motor, AC charger, DC charging, heat pump & AC. Whether this contributes to reliability improvement remains to be proven, but at least there was a re-design effort which must have been informed by field returns.

In passing, my 9/10 example was not that hyperbolic when i see the battery pack failure stat from this very forum. It a forum so incidence rate may be amplified, but still.

Porsche Taycan Gen 1 vs Gen 1.5 differences Taycan battery replacement

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
It was one of the more significant revisions; the closest that comes to mind are the direct injected 9A1/9A2 engines on the 997.2, or the new hybrid turbo on the 992.2.
Under the microscope, the changes are more than substantial. Over a 1000km/mile trip, they barely incremental - which speaks more to the evolutionary stage of EVs than anything else. Heck, even the ICE is not done evolving.

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
The rear view camera everyone loves has been ‘optimised’, hope this means upgraded!

Headlights are new too

Interior is the same apart from active cooling for the wireless phone charger but it is still in an awkward place

The protective under tray for the battery is now GRP rather than metal, so hopefully that reduces the dents and large repair bills some are facing.

All the big stuff on your list will hopefully lead to a more reliable car, Porsche will have learned a lot from Gen1, reflected in the scale of changes during a mid cycle refresh. For example the HV heat/cool system is 2.5x more powerful than Gen1 so perhaps an admission the original system was not up to it, demonstrated by heater failures that seem to be the number one issues on here.

Uknown

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY20
Country flag
The rear view camera everyone loves has been ‘optimised’, hope this means upgraded!

Headlights are new too

Interior is the same apart from active cooling for the wireless phone charger but it is still in an awkward place

The protective under tray for the battery is now GRP rather than metal, so hopefully that reduces the dents and large repair bills some are facing.

All the big stuff on your list will hopefully lead to a more reliable car, Porsche will have learned a lot from Gen1, reflected in the scale of changes during a mid cycle refresh. For example the HV heat/cool system is 2.5x more powerful than Gen1 so perhaps an admission the original system was not up to it, demonstrated by heater failures that seem to be the number one issues on here.
This is good news I think. Did you find any references for that change?

I missed it.

bogomya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes EQS
Country flag
Here is a good video about the get 1 -> gen 1.5 differences

There is also "OutOfSpec Podcast" episode, explaining the differences in more details.
Sponsored

Last edited: