I ask and answer: Why won't my Taycan Charge as fast as I want it to?

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
Great question, I too had experienced low charging sessions when the battery was at a optimal state. I've never been in that cold of conditions though at best was I think 45F and usually 55F.

I would suggest you Electrify America and report the problem, they can track what cars have been charging at at their Chargers and determine if there is a issue with the charger. I have had repeated substandard sessions from a charger in Soledad whereas in Paso Robles I have nearly 100% success rate at full expected power. I have repeatedly submitted problem reports for Soledad in hopes that they will look into it.

That said I do also agree with what Dave said about the ambient temperature affecting the charger.
I did change chargers after a couple of minutes and called Electrify America. They reset the machine with little improvement. They said they would report it but had no idea what the problem was.

Chuck J
Sponsored

TimS1977

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5, Landrover Disco
Country flag
Hi, finally got my Black metallic 4S this week! Tried first home charge via recently installed Anderson (single phase) and I’m currently getting 0.3miles per minute charge at 6.9kw - just after some advice; is this as fast as I can expect / working correctly? Many thanks!
Porsche Taycan I ask and answer: Why won't my Taycan Charge as fast as I want it to? 4935C821-4D4C-4B64-94AB-4206E7B51271

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Have you tried tapping on the 0.3 miles/min to see the KWHr charge rating? What charger are you using?

0.3 miles/min, assuming maybe around 2.7 m/KWHr (depending on driving style) implies you are charging around 7KW/hour, so it lines up.

TimS1977

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5, Landrover Disco
Country flag
Have you tried tapping on the 0.3 miles/min to see the KWHr charge rating? What charger are you using?

0.3 miles/min, assuming maybe around 2.7 m/KWHr (depending on driving style) implies you are charging around 7KW/hour, so it lines up.
Yes - showed as 6.9kw so does roughly match - thanks for confirming

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
You don't need the Porsche Charging Planner for preconditioning. You just need to route to a known DCFC in the vehicle nav.
I have a question re ”route in the vehicle nav.” I plan on using an app called abetterrouteplanner, ABRP for short, as it looks very useful. I assume two things: 1. I can view this app through Apple Car Play on the vehicle’s display screen. 2. *Only* if I enter way points into the *vehicle’s* nav app, do I get the benefit of its battery preconditioning. I am correct on both points? Thanks, Steve. My 4S arrives late summer!

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I have a question re ”route in the vehicle nav.” I plan on using an app called abetterrouteplanner, ABRP for short, as it looks very useful. I assume two things: 1. I can view this app through Apple Car Play on the vehicle’s display screen. 2. *Only* if I enter way points into the *vehicle’s* nav app, do I get the benefit of its battery preconditioning. I am correct on both points? Thanks, Steve. My 4S arrives late summer!
you will have to use the nav planning in the car's nav system to activate the battery preconditioning using a third party app will not work.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
ABRP just recently added support for CarPlay so make sure you have the latest version on your phone. As to your second question, the vehicle will only precondition the battery if it's the destination in the Taycan's nav, and you have to select the actual charger in the nav, not just the address of the charger.

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
ABRP just recently added support for CarPlay so make sure you have the latest version on your phone. As to your second question, the vehicle will only precondition the battery if it's the destination in the Taycan's nav, and you have to select the actual charger in the nav, not just the address of the charger.
Thank you. Sounds above my pay grade to select the charger. Will the P nav give available, specific chargers so I can choose? I just pick the 1 with the highest charge rate and hope it’s available when I arrive?

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Thank you. Sounds above my pay grade to select the charger. Will the P nav give available, specific chargers so I can choose? I just pick the 1 with the highest charge rate and hope it’s available when I arrive?
I should have been more clear - in the Taycan you can select a charging station as a destination. The car has a category of destinations for charging stations and you can search and filter for them. You do not need to select a specific charger cabinet; the car will precondition for your arrival at the station and you can use whatever individual charger you wish. The Taycan nav will show which of the EA stations support 350kW too.

Brent

Last edited:

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
I should have been more clear - in the Taycan you can select a charging station as a destination. The car has a category of destinations for charging stations and you can search and filter for them. You no not need to select a specific charger cabinet; the car will precondition for your arrival at the station and you can use whatever individual charger you wish. The Taycan nav will show which of the EA stations support 350kW too.

BRent
?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I should have been more clear - in the Taycan you can select a charging station as a destination. The car has a category of destinations for charging stations and you can search and filter for them. You do not need to select a specific charger cabinet; the car will precondition for your arrival at the station and you can use whatever individual charger you wish. The Taycan nav will show which of the EA stations support 350kW too.

Brent
An excellent response Brent, I only wanted to add a technique to find far away chargers is to first route to general area by address or some waypoint then select the nav icon in upper right and change to near destination. Then use the charging menu as described.

Note: You can also ask to search along route (for high speed chargers), but I have sometimes not seen the one I was looking for that way. Destination has been the most reliable for me.
And look for the "(350kW)" in the waypoint name.

Tesla2Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S P85 + Taycan GTS
Country flag
Today I tried a different EA location.
SOC 63->90% by adding 25kw in 18 mins. That is an average of 83kwh.

That is much better than the rate of 38kwh I usually get at the other EA location (see previous post) starting at same SOC.

Btw there was a homeless person sleeping next to the charger. Some EA locations do not feel very safe for parking such a luxury car and staying in it while charging.

20210113_160322.jpg
Can you please share the location of this EA station? I am in Northern CA (SF Bay Area) and am collecting info about the better stations. BTW, for those in the Bay Area, I had a horrible first charge experience in my 2022 GTS at the 1334 Saratoga Av station where my car would not charge at any of the 150kW stations and I thought there was something wrong with my car (there were other cars that were able to charge) but the stations at Westfield Valley Fair mall worked great.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Would be helpful if when people say ‘my Taycan wouldn’t charge’ on this forum, they clarified whether they mean ‘my Taycan wouldn’t charge for free’ or ‘I put a credit card in and it still wouldn’t charge’. To some/many of us, the former is irrelevant, while the latter is meaningful information.
Sponsored