JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
So, the problem I’m having is getting thick gauge wire to fit in a 60 amp breaker. The breaker terminals are for 4 or 6 gauge wire. I have some 2 gauge lying around that I’d prefer to use but it won’t fit into the breakers terminals. I also have some 6 gauge wire laying around but that seems a little too small as it is rated for 55amp and not 60.
Sponsored

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
So, the problem I’m having is getting thick gauge wire to fit in a 60 amp breaker. The breaker terminals are for 4 or 6 gauge wire. I have some 2 gauge lying around that I’d prefer to use but it won’t fit into the breakers terminals. I also have some 6 gauge wire laying around but that seems a little too small as it is rated for 55amp and not 60.
By all means, please consult a licensed electrician rather than trusting folks like me on the Internet, but 2 gauge is overkill for your application. Look at the charts and you'll see that high temperature 6AWG will more than handle what you want to do, unless you have an outrageously long run from the panel to your EVSE.

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
I have two gen threes on a 100A circuit. My only gripe is I’ve blown out 2 of the Tesla tap adapters charging my Taycan and or Lightning when it started raining. Hard to believe they aren’t weatherproofed.

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Note: To safely get the full 11.5kw from the Tesla Universal Charger you should have wiring that supports 60 AMPS. I have wiring that only supports 50 AMPS and, while I was able to see 11.5 kw from the Tesla Universal Charger (48 AMP at 240 Volts), I opted to manually downgrade Tesla Universal Charger to 40 AMPS to minimize risk.

To reset Tesla Universal Charger have your phone in your hand then:

Hold down button on charger for 5 seconds to broadcast SSID. Set phone Wi-Fi to TeslaWallConnector_F10B6A then enter 192.168.92.1 in Browser to access settings.

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
I ended up using 2 AWG wire. I did this for 2 reasons. 1) I had it in the garage and needed to use it and 2) I wanted it to be future proof for higher power charging applications in the future.

Working with 2AWG wire is a pain. I don’t recommend it. I was able to get it routed into the wall connector with a lot of elbow grease. Thankfully, the terminals were large enough to accept it. I also found a breaker with larger terminals to accept the 2AWG wire.

I recommend 4AWG if you intend to use 48 amp charging. Or if you can find 6 AWG with the higher temperature rating that would work too as it would be rated at >60 amps. As others have pointed out, standard 6AWG is only good for 55 amps.

TonO

First Name
Ton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Sport Turismo
Country flag
Just finished up installing and launching the Tesla Universal Charger, many thanks to @daveo4EV for guiding me through it. I had pretty much hijacked a thread regarding the EV charging fiasco so wanted to start afresh in case there are questions. Below is the box before I mounted the charger on it, the light showing its got power, and a few of the toys in my garage it must compete with, including my EV scooter.

The charging cable is not optimized (wish it was exiting the other side), and I need to think through how to keep it from getting in the way of everything else, but I am relieved to finish the project.

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

IMG_2264.jpg
Nice Nio electric scooter👍