4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
Just finished up installing and launching the Tesla Universal Charger, many thanks to @daveo4EV for guiding me through it. I had pretty much hijacked a thread regarding the EV charging fiasco so wanted to start afresh in case there are questions. Below is the box before I mounted the charger on it, the light showing its got power, and a few of the toys in my garage it must compete with, including my EV scooter.

The charging cable is not optimized (wish it was exiting the other side), and I need to think through how to keep it from getting in the way of everything else, but I am relieved to finish the project.

Porsche Taycan Installed Tesla Universal Charger - Thanks to Daveo4EV IMG_2260

Porsche Taycan Installed Tesla Universal Charger - Thanks to Daveo4EV IMG_2263

Porsche Taycan Installed Tesla Universal Charger - Thanks to Daveo4EV IMG_2264

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
How many amps is the circuit?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Just finished up installing and launching the Tesla Universal Charger, many thanks to @daveo4EV for guiding me through it. I had pretty much hijacked a thread regarding the EV charging fiasco so wanted to start afresh in case there are questions. Below is the box before I mounted the charger on it, the light showing its got power, and a few of the toys in my garage it must compete with, including my EV scooter.

The charging cable is not optimized (wish it was exiting the other side), and I need to think through how to keep it from getting in the way of everything else, but I am relieved to finish the project.

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

IMG_2264.jpg
have you "extracted" the J-1772 adapter yet? I think the whole design is kinda nifty and well thought out - I LOVE the dock and how easy it is to wire up. They gave the whole thing a lot of thought.

Reactions: DRR

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
have you "extracted" the J-1772 adapter yet? I think the whole design is kinda nifty and well thought out - I LOVE the dock and how easy it is to wire up. They gave the whole thing a lot of thought.
Yes it popped out immediately and clever how they designed that. It looks great and I'm excited to use it. However i would caution about calling it an easy install. That is a relative matter and what is easy for you was not easy for me! Having the right tools is essential. My wire cutters were not up to the task and I had to borrow my neighbors. Also, getting the lengths of the wire dialed in was a challenge because I wanted to use the pre-existing outlet and pilot holes already in place from the Porsche charger.

Anyway its done now and I am proud of it!

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
How easy do you think it would be to replace an existing Tesla wall connector with the Universal one? Considering using my $600 rebate to get one. I would consider replacing it myself it it's easy, otherwise I'll just hire my electrician to do it.

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How easy do you think it would be to replace an existing Tesla wall connector with the Universal one? Considering using my $600 rebate to get one. I would consider replacing it myself it it's easy, otherwise I'll just hire my electrician to do it.
I can't imagine its much different than what I just did. I removed the Porsche charger. But you all know the expert on this topic, its @daveo4EV and rumor has it that he is a product of AI, or at least 25% AI.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
gen3 wall connectors - you'll have to swap the docks - they are different - but it should be pretty easy…it all depends how DIY you are…

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes it popped out immediately and clever how they designed that. It looks great and I'm excited to use it. However i would caution about calling it an easy install. That is a relative matter and what is easy for you was not easy for me! Having the right tools is essential. My wire cutters were not up to the task and I had to borrow my neighbors. Also, getting the lengths of the wire dialed in was a challenge because I wanted to use the pre-existing outlet and pilot holes already in place from the Porsche charger.

Anyway its done now and I am proud of it!
easy in this case is relative to other EVSE's - you'd be surprised how much worse it could - the Tesla stuff is really really good vs. other 240V devices - it's much harder and less straight forward, well labled, or has has much space.

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
I've swapped a Gen3 to a Universal few months ago. The base is different, but not entirely different. You definitely need to swap it out. I was able to re-use the same wire with no modification, but it was a pain in the a** to insert the super thick and super stiff #1 (or #2) wires into the sockets.

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
easy in this case is relative to other EVSE's - you'd be surprised how much worse it could - the Tesla stuff is really really good vs. other 240V devices - it's much harder and less straight forward, well labled, or has has much space.
Is there any benefit to keeping the nozzle inside the unit when not in use (other than keeping it safe?). Otherwise I might hang the end closer to the front of the car and the vehicle's charge port.

I ran the unit last night for its virgin flight. All good!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is there any benefit to keeping the nozzle inside the unit when not in use (other than keeping it safe?). Otherwise I might hang the end closer to the front of the car and the vehicle's charge port.

I ran the unit last night for its virgin flight. All good!
no reason that I'm aware of keeping it in the holster vs. somewhere else.

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
What gauge wire for a 48 amp charger running at 11.5K watts on a 60 amp breaker?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Installed Tesla Universal Charger - Thanks to Daveo4EV Wire Gauge Table
Sponsored