Interested in an unofficial Apple Watch app?

OP
OP
electricsidecar

electricsidecar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
electricsidecar.app
Vehicles
Volcano Gray Taycan 2022
Country flag
Working on unifying all of the emergent UI elements of the scanner functionality into a single page called "Vehicle parameters". Rather than organize parameters by the system that generates them solely (e.g. ECU/BMS/ABS), I'm organizing the parameters into groups of similar-purpose:

Porsche Taycan Interested in an unofficial Apple Watch app? IMG_0925 2.PNG

This single page will now be visible whether you're connected to your car or not, and it will surface all parameters your vehicle has access to which can be one of three sources:

1. A connected account (e.g. your Porsche / Toyota / Tesla account)
2. Generic OBD scanner parameters
3. Community scanner parameters (hosted on GitHub under a creative commons license)

This view lets you search parameters quickly and every parameter will show its most recent value in place, in addition to any explanations about the meaning of the parameter. Medium term I'll also make it easy to see the historical values of each signal as a chart.

This work will replace the "Community monitors" and "Detected monitors" pages and will be accessible from any vehicle page and the connected device settings page. When connected to a scanner, live values from your vehicle will be pulled automatically when looking at a given parameter.
Sponsored

OP
OP
electricsidecar

electricsidecar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
electricsidecar.app
Vehicles
Volcano Gray Taycan 2022
Country flag
Signal groups are now functional, which allows Electric Sidecar to group sets of similar signals together into a single visualization. This is specifically useful for visualizing battery pack cells right now. I made a video of an ~18 minute drive in the Taycan to show how the cell values change over time.

In this drive I was doing downhill to start, then stuck in traffic for a while before getting onto the highway for ~3 minutes and then pulling off. I'll try to get another video of a more performance-oriented drive at some point.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Signal groups are now functional, which allows Electric Sidecar to group sets of similar signals together into a single visualization. This is specifically useful for visualizing battery pack cells right now. I made a video of an ~18 minute drive in the Taycan to show how the cell values change over time.

In this drive I was doing downhill to start, then stuck in traffic for a while before getting onto the highway for ~3 minutes and then pulling off. I'll try to get another video of a more performance-oriented drive at some point.

Tried it again this evening and it worked nicely.

Porsche Taycan Interested in an unofficial Apple Watch app? IMG_1362

OP
OP
electricsidecar

electricsidecar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
electricsidecar.app
Vehicles
Volcano Gray Taycan 2022
Country flag
Now that the core OBD functionality is in place, I'm gathering everything I learned into a new micro app that I'll release alongside Electric Sidecar called ELMCheck.

Porsche Taycan Interested in an unofficial Apple Watch app? IMG_0958.PNG
Porsche Taycan Interested in an unofficial Apple Watch app? IMG_0959.PNG

I'll sell this app as a standalone app for people interested in testing the validity / performance of their OBD scanners. I'll likely also include this functionality in Electric Sidecar but it will be locked behind the app paywall once the app is in the App Store proper.

Will release this app alongside the CAN Decoder app once it has a decent initial set of tests :)

OP
OP
electricsidecar

electricsidecar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
electricsidecar.app
Vehicles
Volcano Gray Taycan 2022
Country flag
Thanks, I had sent the apparently fake VEEPEAK ODBCheck BLE non plus v1.5 back and replaced it with a OBDLink CX.
I’m still daily driving with the VEEPEAK actually, been finding it to be pretty consistent/stable so far. I think OBDLink might also be an unofficial chip based on the inconsistent parameter support we’ve been seeing in this thread 😅

d00d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yes
Country flag
I could never get the VEEPEAK to work with your application, and only twice out of many tries with Car Scanner.
Which one do you find to be the most reliable?

OP
OP
electricsidecar

electricsidecar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
electricsidecar.app
Vehicles
Volcano Gray Taycan 2022
Country flag
I could never get the VEEPEAK to work with your application, and only twice out of many tries with Car Scanner.
Which one do you find to be the most reliable?
Do you remember the error you were encountering? There were definitely connectivity issues with the OBD beta up until the most recent release (92). Has the CX been working ok?

d00d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yes
Country flag
Was getting ATCRA7XX unexpected response with 89.
Haven't tried the CX yet, car's in the shop.
It's Car Scanner approved, so should be good now.

OP
OP
electricsidecar

electricsidecar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
electricsidecar.app
Vehicles
Volcano Gray Taycan 2022
Country flag
Ah yeah the ATCRA7XX bug has been fixed — I think that was affecting the CX too even. The proliferation of clones with the ELM327 interface is pretty fascinating, and part of the reason I'm making ELMCheck. The CX should work fine too though!

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I sent MX+ back, so CX would be ok for Sidecar?

OP
OP
electricsidecar

electricsidecar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
electricsidecar.app
Vehicles
Volcano Gray Taycan 2022
Country flag
Yep! And if for any reason it doesn't let me know. I'm aggressively testing all of my scanners right now and CX is in heavy rotation.

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
electricsidecar

electricsidecar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
electricsidecar.app
Vehicles
Volcano Gray Taycan 2022
Country flag
So far from my battle hardening I'm finding the OBDLink CX to be the most robust OBD solution of any hardware I've tried. Will share detailed reports once I've finished implementing the rest of the ELMCheck test suite.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61