Ionity charge failure (UK)

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I had a problem last night arriving at an Ionity charger fairly late with 28% charge. I tried to plug it in for plug and charge, didn’t work. Charge port impaired message initially. Then tried Porsche charge card with no success. Moved to another charger and tried the Porsche card again. Still no success. Locked car for a few minutes then tried a credit card, didn’t work. I didn’t think to try starting it from the Porsche app but tried the Ionity app. Worked immediately. So what was the problem? I have no idea. Only that Ionity charged me 74p/kWh instead of 30p.

I phoned Porsche today who couldn’t tell me why it didn’t work, but that my account is active and they could see I had tried to start a charge several times. They want me to try it with the Porsche app - I will if it is convenient next time I pass it. And they did agree to refund me the difference in cost.

Any ideas what I could have done wrong or why it might not have worked? When it did eventually work it pulled 268kW initially before gradually scaling sown to 168 at 70% (presumably due to battery over 50 degrees) when I stopped it and left. So I presume the car is fine and this is all software behind the scenes.
Sponsored

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Sounds like something awry with the handshake / initialisation during P&C which meant it didn’t recognise your car. Starting it from the IONITY app proves there’s no hardware issue. It should have worked with Porsche app too - actually irrespective of what car you’ve actually connected to charge, but leverages the Porsche PCS rates.

FredC057

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Fiat 500Ce, Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
When this happens, you should contact Ionity directly. They started a free session for me 2 times already. And be sure the plug is correctly in during the handshake.

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Because I had a “charge port impaired” error on the car I thought the car was the problem until it actually started to charge. Given that it then got up to 268kW I presume the car is fine

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Was passing the same Ionity station today so called in to try it again. Worked with the card this time, no need for an app. So clearly it was having a headache on Monday when it played up, although that makes it no less annoying

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I never even have to use my Porsche charge card - just plug and charge. Worked every time, no interaction required with the EVSE. Make sure you have Plug and charge enabled in your PCM settings.

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I never even have to use my Porsche charge card - just plug and charge. Worked every time, no interaction required with the EVSE. Make sure you have Plug and charge enabled in your PCM settings.
I will check. Do you turn the car off before plugging in or can you leave it on?

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I will check. Do you turn the car off before plugging in or can you leave it on?
Car off (not locked, of course). When you turn it off, if you have powered charge ports you get a button appear conveniently on the centre console to open the charge door.
Sponsored