ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Any more specifics on how to convert the top of the ashtray to the MagSafe charger top?
Mentioned in linked posts but easy to dissemble and reassemble the inards of the ashtray and if you want a cleaned out inner storage you’ll need to cut out some small plastic pieces inside. Trickiest bit is in remounting the hinge which I have working perfectly but I could go further with a more permanent attachment there but TBH not needed as all works just fine. Use this every time I get in the car for house keys and phone.
Sponsored

jimshadow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, DB9, 599, Denali, X1, Tiguan
Country flag
Can you link to this product? There are a TON of options out there....want to find this specific one.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I don’t understand the need for this. The car has a wireless charger in the armrest.
As others have mentioned it doesn't work very well, heats up and is low power. Another poorly designed feature / afterthought - much like the armrest it is buried in!

Deleted member 6348

As others have mentioned it doesn't work very well, heats up and is low power. Another poorly designed feature / afterthought - much like the armrest it is buried in!
I've put 26k miles on my Taycan since March 2022. The charger in the armrest works like a champ and I don't have to give up a cupholder.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I've put 26k miles on my Taycan since March 2022. The charger in the armrest works like a champ and I don't have to give up a cupholder.
That's a lot of miles!

Great that your charger works well.

I rarely use mine - three times since new - and the last was a week ago where there was more heat generated than charge (perhaps the phone wasn't in the correct position).

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's a lot of miles!

Great that your charger works well.

I rarely use mine - three times since new - and the last was a week ago where there was more heat generated than charge (perhaps the phone wasn't in the correct position).
+1
For me it’s as much about the incredibly awkward access to that console storage and that I simply never have drinks in my cup holder but again I am not giving up that storage as my design repurposes the ashtray as storage.

OP
OP

figure1a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Cayenne
Country flag
Try with an iPhone 14 Pro. All you will get is a hot slightly charged phone when you get to your destination.

TaycanNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Nice solution! Very clean install.

I went with the simple install using a clip made for the Taycan from ProClipUSA and an apple MagSafe with heavy duty double sided tape. The clip mount is $28 with their Black Friday sale now.

Only issue is that with passengers the phone gets knocked off rather easily if they are not paying attention. I drive solo most of the time so it's not a problem for me.

https://www.proclipusa.com/collections/dashboard-mounts-porsche-taycan-2020

Porsche Taycan My first "mod" -- Cupholder Mounted Wireless Charger with MagSafe for Apple iPhone Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 9.55.21 AM

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Try with an iPhone 14 Pro. All you will get is a hot slightly charged phone when you get to your destination.
one of the hardest things of my life 😂
Well done - I plan to swap out my custom mount version (modified Porsche ashtray that retains hinged lid and storage) with a charging mount (as just installed - see pic below - which has a dark silver surround like my OEM finish :)) and will be routing that cable like you - thanks to that great video share by OP.

Porsche Taycan My first "mod" -- Cupholder Mounted Wireless Charger with MagSafe for Apple iPhone 1BF6936A-4D75-4DEC-999B-0DEFF81F2B8E

Vfr750Rouge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4 / Cayenne / Jeep Wrangler Willys
Country flag
My version without removing central console trim, was not ready to brake something!
Printed in red and wooden plastic - came back to black...
16$ for the charging pad...not very Porsche but it is very functional and it charges the phone! not like the German Engineered one... not sure if German Engineers are "still" efficient by nature as we used to call them in my company!

Also no food nor drink is allowed in MY car - I drive I do not eat or drink in a car! so let's used these useless holes!

Porsche Taycan My first "mod" -- Cupholder Mounted Wireless Charger with MagSafe for Apple iPhone tempImagepdZrXZ

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
bought one installed it and LOVE IT!!!!

Jamesfawcett

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Turbo S
Country flag
Please can any one confirm does this work with an Iphone 13/14 pro MAX? I have emailed Nine Volt and also sent them a Facebook message but no replies. I'm just wondering if the Max versions of those phones would be too big. Thanks :)
Sponsored