New Charger-related recall (for the 240 V cable) (NHTSA ID 23V-841)

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Still pretty good. Was your submitted total $1,200 or more?
Thereabouts. I only expected $600, but my receipt had both on there. I was confused. Lol
Sponsored

summerlion

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 CT4S
Country flag
I seem to have mislaid the recall letter. Can someone please post the email address for submitting for reimbursement? Scanned the thread and didn't see it.

MAPC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2023.5 Defender, 2019 X1
Country flag
Submitted March 4 and still waiting....wrote back to Porsche this AM and received this:

Thank you for contacting Porsche Cars North America. Your claim will be handled in the order it was received. We are experiencing some delays and will work to resolve them as soon as possible. Please anticipate receiving a check by mail within approximately 6 weeks or a service voucher in approximately 7 business days via email, dependent on your chosen option. If you haven't already provided the necessary information below, kindly resend it to avoid any delays in processing your reimbursement claim.

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
Submitted March 4 and still waiting....wrote back to Porsche this AM and received this:
I submitted my claim on Feb 29 and I finally got an email on April 6 that my claim was processed. Below is the email response I received:

"Hello,

We have received your email. Thank you for sending the information needed. I processed your reimbursement. Please anticipate your check in the next two to four weeks. As a reminder, an adult will need to sign for the check upon its delivery.

Thank you,"

Capt Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan4S. 2017 Macan S
Country flag
Just got a recall notice from Porsche that my Porsche charger's 240 V cable will be replaced (someday)..in the meantime I can buy another charger and be re-imbursed up to $600. Interestingly, even tho the recall is tied to my car's VIN, that VIN does NOT show (yet?) as a recall on NHTSA site (perhaps because the car itself is not recalled?).

Anyway, I think I'll buy a charger (portable)(NEMA 14-50) .leaning towards a TESLA charger. Anyone have a recommendation?
I just ordered the Emporia Level 2 EV charger (EVSE) based on input from “the best chargers” website. We’ll see. In removing my Porsche charger my electrician noted that the Nema 240 wall plug had some discoloration although the Porsche unit looked fine. The wall plug was new and installed for the Porsche unit so something had happened. I’ll let all know how this new EVSE works out.

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
the Nema 240 wall plug had some discoloration
What brand was it? If it wasn't a $100 Hubble you shouldn't be charging an EV with it. The Home Depot ones electricians use are a fire hazard. In fact, they are the ONLY fire hazard, IMHO.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
@Capt Mike if your receptacle shows any possible damage from excessive heat, you should absolutely replace it. There is too much current running through those connections to leave it to chance.

Capt Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan4S. 2017 Macan S
Country flag
What brand was it? If it wasn't a $100 Hubble you shouldn't be charging an EV with it. The Home Depot ones electricians use are a fire hazard. In fact, they are the ONLY fire hazard, IMHO.
My electrician is a personal friend so I know he’s putting in the right materials.

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag
Just got a recall notice from Porsche that my Porsche charger's 240 V cable will be replaced (someday)..in the meantime I can buy another charger and be re-imbursed up to $600. Interestingly, even tho the recall is tied to my car's VIN, that VIN does NOT show (yet?) as a recall on NHTSA site (perhaps because the car itself is not recalled?).

Anyway, I think I'll buy a charger (portable)(NEMA 14-50) .leaning towards a TESLA charger. Anyone have a recommendation?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Just a quick update. Got my Audi EVSE (PMC+ with Audi branding) recall done this past week. Got a new cable which seems have have additional signaling pins (5 total, in addition to power pins) wired up.
Porsche Taycan New Charger-related recall (for the 240 V cable) (NHTSA ID 23V-841) 1714210864037-z

Have not had any time to play with it to see what the new pins do (probably a thermistor or thermocouple), or whether it would even work with my PMC+ or PMCC.

Interesting note, the dealer asked for the actual EVSE to reprogram it, perhaps to flash new firmware which will use this new temperature sensor?

PS> Initially Audi told me they needed the car for a day to do this recall, but upon arrival I asked them to check what exactly the recall involved, and it just said: destroy the old cable, provide new cable, reprogram the EVSE. Since nothing was car related, I didn't leave my car with them, just picked up the EVSE with new cable at the end of the day.

TAKMAN

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I sent my reimbursement request in March 16th. I received an immediate response that it was being processed but have yet to receive my reimbursement check and still no word on when if ever I will get the replacement power cord. Terrible customer service on an issue that has been going on for over a year.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I sent my reimbursement request in March 16th. I received an immediate response that it was being processed but have yet to receive my reimbursement check and still no word on when if ever I will get the replacement power cord. Terrible customer service on an issue that has been going on for over a year.
Yes, over 4 years. See:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...ng-temperature-too-high-limiting-charge.1922/ and
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/pmcc-overheated.2365/

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Just a quick update. Got my Audi EVSE (PMC+ with Audi branding) recall done this past week. Got a new cable which seems have have additional signaling pins (5 total, in addition to power pins) wired up.
1714210864037-zg.png

Have not had any time to play with it to see what the new pins do (probably a thermistor or thermocouple), or whether it would even work with my PMC+ or PMCC.

Interesting note, the dealer asked for the actual EVSE to reprogram it, perhaps to flash new firmware which will use this new temperature sensor?

PS> Initially Audi told me they needed the car for a day to do this recall, but upon arrival I asked them to check what exactly the recall involved, and it just said: destroy the old cable, provide new cable, reprogram the EVSE. Since nothing was car related, I didn't leave my car with them, just picked up the EVSE with new cable at the end of the day.
is the cable gauge any thicker? or will it still overheat but now interrupt your charging session when the cable gets too hot?