Phone charging inside the Taycan

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
My dislike for the brand is high. That's for another thread (or even another forum lol). All is sorted now anyway :)

iOS mostly annoys me because it feels limiting. You don't have split screen (or, God forbid, floating windows) when you want to multitask and you can't even rename a log file to a text file (it doesn't allow you to change file extensions). I mean, you gotta be either dumb or devilish to not let an user to change a file extension of his own file on his own phone.

Regarding transferring data, it always worked for me albeit, since all my androids are rooted, I use one of the hundreds of available apps to make a full backup before changing phone. I then let google sync both phones (new and old). I do not like to transfer all the garbage from the old phone so I usually exclude app sync (actually I chose selective app sync and just transfer what I really need). Usually, two or three weeks after the change, I suddenly remember I forgot my ssh keys (or some other shady file/app) and just go to the "full backup" I did earlier and restore only what I need. It has been working fine so far.

Regarding charging, I put a QC 3.0 12V cig charger this morning (charges from 5V up to 12V, 2.5A) and yeah, instantly resolved. Already tested youtube and it streams just fine over 5Ghz WiFi.

There isn't much to debug. The Taycan's usb ports aren't QC so always limited to 5V (QC will negotiate voltage with the phone for higher power charging) and my phone really draws power. My wife's phone with similar specs will last easily 3 days on a single charge while mine will barely make it one day (if I don't use it too much... yeah, right). It's just my particular usage of it, I know that, but the usb-c ports really could have QC for large, power hungry devices. I was getting 5V 700mAh (3.5W) on the stock usb-c while now I'm getting 12V at 1800mAh (21W). Only changed the plug from the inbuilt usb-c to the 12V cig charger next to them.
I get preferences. I used to prefer physical keyboard phones. Then all mainstream Android phones became touch only, which brought me closer to iPhone land. Like I said earlier, it was the Taycan which pushed me over the edge, but all the other things which are just simpler and the ecosystem is integrated tighter. The transfer is a good example. I didn't say it was not possible, just that it was a lot more work than 30 seconds of my attention, then let it sit there for half an hour or an hour. Rooting 2 phones, setting up backup - no way I can do that in 30 seconds. Lot of other things are better integrated and easier to do as well. Yes, I lose some capabilities, but after years of using rooted, customized phones, I realized that I want my phone to just work as a tool, not be a project (I have more interesting projects already than I have time for).
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Works fine with several iPhones.
Wouldn't recommend Android anyways…
Yeah. There isn't much going on in them anyway, hence the low consumption.

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Mining crypto on your phone? ;)
Not intentionally, at least 😂

Tested the back usbcs. They charge much faster. I think (but not confirmed yet) that qc doesn't work with data transmission. Hence it doesn't step up voltage in the front usbc and phone probably refuses going over a certain amp rating trying to request a higher voltage. Both situations combined give a lower charging rate. It still works fine unless you start running AA + waze + Spotify + 5 other apps in background. Then the consumption almost matches the energy provided. Can't think of any other reason. Will try wife's phone next to compare.

I'm still fine with the 12v qc charger I plugged in. Charges the phone from 20% to 85% in 45 min while in use.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think (but not confirmed yet) that qc doesn't work with data transmission. Hence it doesn't step up voltage in the front usbc and phone probably refuses going over a certain amp rating trying to request a higher voltage.
All my Android phones allowed me to set USB to "charge only" profile, which should be a quick way to test this theory.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All my Android phones allowed me to set USB to "charge only" profile, which should be a quick way to test this theory.
Hard to tell if it's the phone not requesting or the ports not allowing. Will have to debug but not sure it's worth my time.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
That's odd I'm running an android (Pixel) and I always plug into the USB-C in the console and it charges pretty fast. Probably 20% to 80% during my 30min commute.

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's odd I'm running an android (Pixel) and I always plug into the USB-C in the console and it charges pretty fast. Probably 20% to 80% during my 30min commute.
Yes. It must be specific to my phone or the way charge rate is established. Like I said, it charges fine with any other charger (including the back usbcs on the car. Just the fronts are slow af)

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Yes. It must be specific to my phone or the way charge rate is established. Like I said, it charges fine with any other charger (including the back usbcs on the car. Just the fronts are slow af)
I have had my USB-C outlets in the glove box changed at least once if not twice, due to some trouble with the system. I never got a really good answer from the service guys why this would be. But Porsche DE insisted on changing them!

Could you have an issue with the outlet?

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have had my USB-C outlets in the glove box changed at least once if not twice, due to some trouble with the system. I never got a really good answer from the service guys why this would be. But Porsche DE insisted on changing them!

Could you have an issue with the outlet?
Interesting.

I'll know after checking wife's phone charge rate

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was getting 5V 700mAh (3.5W) on the stock usb-c while now I'm getting 12V at 1800mAh (21W). Only changed the plug from the inbuilt usb-c to the 12V cig charger next to them.
How much is your phone actually pulling when the battery is full? 21W would be a rather large amount of power to be consumed by a mobile phone, even during intense gaming. The only way I see that happening is if your phone has rapid charging and doing some heavy workload. What model phone are you using?

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How much is your phone actually pulling when the battery is full? 21W would be a rather large amount of power to be consumed by a mobile phone, even during intense gaming. The only way I see that happening is if your phone has rapid charging and doing some heavy workload. What model phone are you using?
When not charging it pulls between 70mah and 491mah (screen on)

Porsche Taycan Phone charging inside the Taycan Screenshot_2023-05-24-01-41-00-96_9e44329adecb79d6f3bd5aadb98a4182

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When not charging it pulls between 70mah and 491mah (screen on)

Screenshot_2023-05-24-01-41-00-96_9e44329adecb79d6f3bd5aadb98a4182.jpg
The above is less than half a watt (4.26V x 110mA = 0.4686W). All but extremely limited USB connections (like "unpowered" mouse USB connections on keyboards) should not be discharging your phone drawing less than 0.5W while plugged in.

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The above is less than half a watt (4.26V x 110mA = 0.4686W). All but extremely limited USB connections (like "unpowered" mouse USB connections on keyboards) should not be discharging your phone drawing less than 0.5W while plugged in.
That was momentarily but yeah, it rarely pulls over 500mah. Seen it maybe once or twice. Hence why I think something is fishy with the front usbcs

Edit: lol. Nevermind. It just pulled at 910mah 🤣
Sponsored