Wireless iPhone Charging - phone overheats in glove box!

afel

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I cannot use the wireless charging in the glove box as my iPhone12 Pro seems to cook to the point of turning off. Anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I cannot use the wireless charging in the glove box as my iPhone12 Pro seems to cook to the point of turning off. Anyone else have this issue?
Yes. I used it a couple of times and it overheated.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
My iphone SE (latest version) certainly gets very warm, but not to the point of shutting off. I’m usually connected to & playing out CarPlay at the same time.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
In my experience with multiple cars with Qi chargers, if you use any processor and radio intensive apps while wirelessly charging, the combination of the processor and radio activity and the wireless charging will cause the phone to cook. The worst app by far in this regard is Waze. For long trips, I use wired CarPlay to avoid this.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Yes I have that problem with my iphoneX. It overheats and switches off, especially if I use CarPlay and Waze. For this reason I installed a separate holder and use the wired connection. Pity since Porsche claim to have an antenna booster at the Qi holder.

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Same here, but not to the point that it shuts down. I am close to the point to simply connect it with a cable again.

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
There was a chain on this somewhere in the past and I can not find it so will post the same comment here.

From how a friend who deals with this technology explained, wireless charging very much depends on the charger and charging area being aligned as perfectly as possible. If they are not well aligned it still charges but creates a lot of heat as a byproduct.

I have an iPhone 12Pro and in my Taycan you can slide it a lot forward and backward — so it heats less if you find the sweet spot.

That being said on longer drives I use a cable as well and have not spent lots of time finding that sweet spot but could be worth a try.

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
iPhone 12 here also. The Qi / NFC charge point in my 4S worked on the first day. Wonderful!

Now it doesn't. Four days later. Hmm. Zuffenhausen, are you home?

Just hoping it's teething pains or gremlins. Can't figure it out because all other features (CarPlay, BT, wireless etc.) all work. :/

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
iPhone 12 here also. The Qi / NFC charge point in my 4S worked on the first day. Wonderful!

Now it doesn't. Four days later. Hmm. Zuffenhausen, are you home?

Just hoping it's teething pains or gremlins. Can't figure it out because all other features (CarPlay, BT, wireless etc.) all work. :/
First off, make sure the screen is facing out from the console wall. Secondly, I've found the sensitivity to be finicky. Try adjusting it a couple times, taking it out and reseating it, etc. Also note that it can take a few seconds to register the phone and actually show the message on the PCM...maybe 5 seconds?

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Yup have same issue, iPhone 12 Pro Max. Tried it with no cover, snugly placed, correct direction etc etc. Its just not tightly aligned enough (as stated above) and the heat builds up WAY too much. So I just don’t use a lot of the time. Unfortunately that same compartment has the cell radio amplifier for better reception. So I am switch to the suggested Apple MagSafe solution.

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
Got my 4S to charge my iPhone 12 again today -- thanks for the advice. You have to find the exact happy place for the phone. It's finicky but it works.

This is a bit strange though...

I think tomorrow I'll cook some chalupas. :)

(That's about +97F for my American friends)

Porsche Taycan Wireless iPhone Charging - phone overheats in glove box! DSCF7425

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Once you find the sweet spot you can make a “locator” with some Porsche Driver’s Selection Tequipment Closed Cell Foam.

Or this:

Porsche Taycan Wireless iPhone Charging - phone overheats in glove box! 04E55169-249D-45D5-AEC1-A969FAE61E6E

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Same issue here and posted about it ~1 week ago. After the first try no more wireless charging for my iphone 12 - overheated in a few minutes. I use a cable plugged into the rear seat power and HOLY CRAP it charges fast. (6% > 80% in ~10-15 minutes)

Another thing is that by utilizing the rear power ports I don't think plugging the phone in will interrupt wireless carplay or bluetooth.

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
Same issue here and posted about it ~1 week ago. After the first try no more wireless charging for my iphone 12 - overheated in a few minutes. I use a cable plugged into the rear seat power and HOLY CRAP it charges fast. (6% > 80% in ~10-15 minutes)

Another thing is that by utilizing the rear power ports I don't think plugging the phone in will interrupt wireless carplay or bluetooth.
+1 for the information. Good idea, I never thought of using the rear ports. It would help with charging / heat / etc., I will give it a try today.

I should have noted that in my IR thermometer post above that it's Summer here in Canada and we're getting low +30 C degrees every day, which is normal, but then the phone is already at an ambient temp above +22 C, so the phone is already warm.

Still, I charged my iPhone 12 many times in my old 2016 MB suv, and never had heat like this with the Porsche.

I am totally not qualified to comment on this, but I have a suspicion the Porsche Connect App, along with all the wireless communication + processing drain on the phone are combining to cause this heat issue. It seems like the processor in my iPhone 12 is working extra hard for some reason. Shutting down all unnecessary apps seems to help a small amount.
Sponsored