Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Wow. It actually looks like the other driver sped up right before she struck your Taycan. She didn't appear to be inattentive (texting or similar) so maybe she hit the accelerator instead of the brake.

Anyway, sorry you're having to deal with this Although it will no doubt be a costly repair, unless there is something not visible in the photos, the damage doesn't look that severe. A competent shop should be able to return it to like-new condition so if you can get over the "trauma" and want to keep the car I wouldn't be too concerned about its future performance. The issue will be diminished value and hopefully your insurance will work with you on that. Good luck.
Sponsored

OP
OP

taycandds

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That seems like pretty light damage for it to be undriveable. I'd have to assume that it's only throwing errors because the airbags deployed?
The airbags never deployed actually. Will update this thread as I get more info. Thank you everyone

Allegedly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender, '22 Ford Bronco, '22 Tayc
Country flag
Exactly. That was in the Defender forums. It went to auction with Copart.

Another one got totalled when a can of paint tipped in the back of the truck and spilled. It made its way below the deck lid and got onto the electrics that run the PHEV.

Folsom458

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Porsche Cayenne, 2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Our Cayenne got rear ended in November 2021. I took it to a reputable shop that specializes in Porsches and exotics. They worked with the insurance company to get OWM parts, which took time. The parts had to come from Germany which also took time. The Cayenne was drivable and everything worked, which was good as I just picked it up from the shop today after waiting months for parts.

I agree with others; insist on OEM and new parts. Just be prepared to wait.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@taycandds - Condolences on this situation. I know you must feel sick about it, since I've experienced something similar with my first 4s.

In your case the amount of damage appears to be really minimal. There doesn't appear to be any side fender damage or rear window damage, and the damage to the trunk and bumper didn't seem like much. Can you please explain specifically what made the car un-drivable?

A couple of other observations --
  • I'd love to know what dash cam system you are using.
  • I think you should sue for diminished value. It never hurts and for a 6 figure car it will be worth it.
  • When the time comes to get another Taycan, I recommend you consider a lease. Someone turned into my 2020 Taycan 4s at 35 mph and the car ended up being totaled because of a twisted frame. At the same time, this was a no stress event since it was a lease. There months later and I'm driving a 2021 Taycan 4s.

Good luck with the repairs, and if you can find the time, please update periodically on the repair cost, the dash cam, and whether you sued for diminished value. I think it would be great information for the rest of us.

Allegedly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender, '22 Ford Bronco, '22 Tayc
Country flag
Guys, the dashcam model is in the bottom right of the video, BlackVue DR900s-2ch ;)
Excellent camera system. I have one in my Defender and it's been great. Lots of accessories available for it.

Anyone do an install on a Taycan? Specifically looking to see if there is an aftermarket harness to tap power without cutting.

Closest I've found is a few threads here with people saying they don't want to void their warranty (lol) and a guy who says he doesn't want an "aftermarket" cam because it will wear the 12v battery down and, apparently, the magic Porsche cam doesn't use power? And this: https://blendmount.com/power-cord-m...g-2-amp-inline-fuse-with-military-grade-taps/

Last edited:

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
It makes sense. Damage to the frame components can be hard to see. Once you have it, though, you really don't want to fix it.

regarding insurance companies totaling cars. this was my model3 after being rear ended. they put almost $24k into the repairs and also gave me $4800 for diminished value. the process of assesment of damages, waiting for parts, finding more damage after taking the car apart, waiting for those parts kept the car off of the road for more than five months. they did an amazing job of repairing the car and it never drove poorly because of the damages that it took.
the damages that the OP's car took appear to be superficial, they need to check the chassis. I would check with the dealership and see if they have a preferred body repair shop.
IMG_0172.JPG
Really surprised they tried to fix this one. Glad it worked out, but there was almost certainly some frame bending. My guess is that they assessed is as outside of the wheelbase so repairable. Yikes!

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wow! I'm surprised there wasn't more damage to the Taycan considering the speed the dipshit who hit you was going. Good thing you've got that video footage which clearly documents liability and complete idiocy on his part.

Personally, I think the Taycan can be repaired without any problems. It ain't gonna be cheap, so I hope the knucklehead has sufficient insurance to cover the repair. Liability is 100% on him.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Wow! I'm surprised there wasn't more damage to the Taycan considering the speed the dipshit who hit you was going. Good thing you've got that video footage which clearly documents liability and complete idiocy on his part.
when hit in the rear like that the threshold for proving liability is quite low.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
no airbags helps in terms of overall cost and diminished value but not really. As far as OEM parts, it's kind of a no-brainer that will be the only source for what's affected here. About the only thing that could be provided non-OEM would be a knock off of your badge!

It sucks but your car will be down for weeks in repair waiting for those parts. Porsche isn't dissimilar from BMW or Mercedes etc - any reputable shop can repair correctly. And, given the hidden damage, your insurance won't even have a clear inventory of costs till its fully apart. It's unlikely, but if there is frame damage, they would be all but forced to write it off. As many have shared, things add up - be shocked if this is under 10K even with surface damage only.

As for the hit the value of your car will take, it's gonna sting. Damage on CarFax isn't described well, so the value usually takes a worst case dip. Plan on at minimum your car just dropped in value by $10K to $15K and really, even then, it would be difficult to sell.

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just had my 6 week old car with less than 2k miles rear ended, not a Porsche. But I suggest going after the diminished value. You can put in a diminished value claim with the insurance company of the person who hit you, not your insurance.
Agreed, there are companies that will prepare a diminished value report for you to send to the insurance company to prove the loss in value. It is a hard sell though, many companies will not accept or pay on it, unless you really push them.

jenzfc

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Polestar 2
Country flag
In my experience of getting cars repaired, repairs can be really close to factory, but there is always the thought that someone else has violated my car. I am always prepared for a tussle with the body shop because I'm OCD about the paint and fitment. Perhaps consult with @jenzfc shop. They seem to know their way around a taycan.
Yikes, that's 100% a goner.
Sponsored