Recall: High Voltage Battery May Short Circuit APB5 (2021-23) - December 13, 2023

Onyxta123

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan 4s
Country flag
So this is interesting. I had my car in for service last week. The dealer knew about this recall, but added that they couldn't take actions on it because they are still waiting for remedy instructions from Porsche. I'm in the US. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Sponsored

SmME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan 4s Cross Turismo
Country flag
I got mine back a week ago, so in total car was at shop for 8 weeks. The actual repair took 4 days once the parts were at dealer.

I think the reason why the recall was not present for you at earlier visit is that my dealer told they are dowloading more detailed data from car on each service visit, and they are making that analysis based on that data. Mine had 22kW charger replaced a 1.5 months before the recall, and they had downloaded the data from the car then.

So there might be more cars to be included to this recall, but since Porsche can’t identify these remotely/OTA they will be recalled after some other service and data analysis done after that.
Are you in the US? My dealer told me that no remedy was available yet.

TurboInCold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2022 + BMW i4 M50 2023
Country flag
Are you in the US? My dealer told me that no remedy was available yet.
I’m in Europe, Finland.

Originally my dealer told the same : first they informed sbout the recall and but also described that they were waiting the detailed guidance what would be done for the car. Meanwhile they adviced not to charge the car past 85%, but since I drive long distances weekly and need to charge to 100% they decided to take the car in and give me a loaner.

It took some 2-3 weeks for them to get the actual instructions and information on parts to be replaced from Porsche., since that is analysed for each car individually. For me, Porsche decided to change only one module and some other minor psrts.

SmME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan 4s Cross Turismo
Country flag
I’m in Europe, Finland.

Originally my dealer told the same : first they informed sbout the recall and but also described that they were waiting the detailed guidance what would be done for the car. Meanwhile they adviced not to charge the car past 85%, but since I drive long distances weekly and need to charge to 100% they decided to take the car in and give me a loaner.

It took some 2-3 weeks for them to get the actual instructions and information on parts to be replaced from Porsche., since that is analysed for each car individually. For me, Porsche decided to change only one module and some other minor psrts.
Thanks for sharing your experience! Frustrating and odd that US dealers have no guidance.

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Frustrating and odd that US dealers have no guidance.
My guess is that if there is a stop sale on US imports of Porsche vehicles and parts then there is no guidance because there are no parts available so they are keeping us in the dark until the ban on parts and supply issue is resolved. I am assuming battery packs or other misc parts related to battery repairs are affected by this.

It would be insane to take all the affected cars off the road. The dealer lots would not have enough room to store them nor would they have enough loaner vehicles. If they have no ETA for parts or repair completion better to just provide dealers with no info. Otherwise it would create a bigger flustercluck than they already have.

This is just a guess, ie nothing "official" but it fits...and not like Porsche would inform anyone if it was. Their customer communication and transparency are horrific for such a premium brand so I am not at all surprised. (speaking from personal experience over ~25 years of owning Porsches not just with the Taycan)

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a4699...onents-delay-porsche-audi-bentley-deliveries/

https://jalopnik.com/porsche-cant-sell-most-of-its-cars-in-the-u-s-right-no-1851235453

OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
NHTSA lists an associated investigation with this recall. It deals with LG batteries. Original post was edited to include it.

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
So recall notices are actually being shown now in the US? Is the NHSA website now up to date?

Onyxta123

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan 4s
Country flag
So recall notices are actually being shown now in the US? Is the NHSA website now up to date?
The recall notice has been around for a couple of months now. I received the letter back in February, if I recall correctly. NHSA also had the recall listed on their site. Porsche US still doesn't have a remedy for this recall and the dealer will not take actions on it though.

OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Original post edited to include Porsche recall report dated April 9, 2024.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCLRPT-23V840-5663.PDF
So far there is no TSB posted on NHTSA for this APB5 campaign that provides instructions to dealers as to how to handle this recall. Either such instructions have not been posted yet, or they don't exist.
Sponsored