Rust on brake disks

Andics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo MY24, GLE 300D
Country flag
Just got a brand new Taycan 4S (it was a dealer stock so probably kept somewhere in the open) and there is quite some rust on the disks...do you think it is "normal"?

any tips on how to get it removed?

Porsche Taycan Rust on brake disks IMG_2647
Sponsored

OP
OP
Andics

Andics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo MY24, GLE 300D
Country flag
to be fair forgot to add that I have only done 60-70 miles and it was raining quite a lot..

Just got a brand new Taycan 4S (it was a dealer stock so probably kept somewhere in the open) and there is quite some rust on the disks...do you think it is "normal"?

IMG_2647.png

elricardo74

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S. Audi Q7
Country flag
I can wash my car & the discs have surface rust before the day is out. Surface rust like that forms pretty much instantly. Normal use will take that off. 👍🏼

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

IMG_2647.png
This is entirely normal on any car with iron rotors.

It will clean itself after some braking procedures.

These cars have sat for months at dealers out in the open and sitting unused and rain the disks will naturally rust.

800v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Use your brakes (hard) and it’s gone.
One problem is that the Taycan first slows down on regen so you have to brake hard to engage the actual brakes.

A trick you can use is to find a hill, and on the way down set the car in neutral so the brakes engage directly.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
One problem is that the Taycan first slows down on regen so you have to brake hard to engage the actual brakes.

A trick you can use is to find a hill, and on the way down set the car in neutral so the brakes engage directly.
Or just brake hard within the first mile on initial start up

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag

There is a disc cleaning algorithm which temporarily switches off regeneration to clean the discs.
On my car the first mile or so every day the pads on discs are used for braking and regen braking kicks in afterwards.
It is easy to see on the power meter but it is also easy to feel through the brake pedal.

800v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
There is a disc cleaning algorithm which temporarily switches off regeneration to clean the discs.
On my car the first mile or so every day the pads on discs are used for braking and regen braking kicks in afterwards.
It is easy to see on the power meter but it is also easy to feel through the brake pedal.
Ha, I am embarrassed to admit I never noticed this 😅

(but then, I'm not a professional F1 race car engineer 😅)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yep, thats why I suggested at initial startup but your description is more helpful.

KLHubb

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2009 911S 2012 Cayenne
Country flag
Of corse, tungsten carbide brakes solves this problem.