RWD - Rear Axle Steering or Massaging Seats?

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
You in TX, and you're worried about RAS? The lanes are typically big, and straight so you won't have much of a chance to use it. On a few times that I needed to make a u-turn, I was able to do so without having to do a 3-point turn. As for the massaging seats, are you going to be in the car long enough to enjoy it? Is your back in bad shape that requires it? I have a $10k massage chair at home that got a lot of use in the first 3 months, and now just a big paper weight.
The RAS also makes the car feel more nimble when cornering, it really works nicely. Maybe not many of them in TX? :giggle:;)In the UK, it's a total no-brainer.
Sponsored

Cooler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Country flag
I would never get massage seats, was of money in my mind. I rather go to massage parlour or use home massage chair.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I would never get massage seats, was of money in my mind. I rather go to massage parlour or use home massage chair.
Those both sound like more difficult solutions to use while driving.

OP
OP
NuJerzPorsche

NuJerzPorsche

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
One more thought - You might want to stop by your local audi dealer - I only ordered the Porsche massage seats because I’d previously tested an e-tron and tried out the massage seats then. Basically the massage function is the same.
Appreciate this advice. Of course I reach out to local Audi dealers and none of them have E-Trons or They have but none with the massage seats package :CWL:.

Great insight here thats why this is the best Taycan forum. I might as well YOLO and get both.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
You in TX, and you're worried about RAS? The lanes are typically big, and straight so you won't have much of a chance to use it.
Up in Hill County outside of Austin there are plenty of fun twisty roads. I don’t have RAS so I don’t know if I’m missing out but there are plenty of roads in TX where you can give your Porsche a proper workout. I say get both RAS and Massage Seats if you can afford to.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
I'd select RAS over massage seats. You can always add a massage seat device and plug it into your 12v power outlet for long trips. I would only benefit from it when I am driving 90 mins or more (and also use it at home at an office desk). But I use RAS every time I drive the car. I also started a post called "the argument for RAS" if you want many more opinions generally in favor of the feature.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Up in Hill County outside of Austin there are plenty of fun twisty roads. I don’t have RAS so I don’t know if I’m missing out but there are plenty of roads in TX where you can give your Porsche a proper workout. I say get both RAS and Massage Seats if you can afford to.
I wouldn't go so far and say there plenty of roads in TX where there are fun roads to drive like Austin. Austin is definitely the exception rather than the norm, and you'd have to go pretty far out to get a clear section of road because the traffic jam in Austin is so much worse now than when I lived there.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
While I love the message seats (my wife and I both use them on long drives), if you need to pick only one, I would go with RAS. Every time I pull into my driveway, I appreciate the RAS on my Taycan RWD.

TxnBluDvl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We have both. RAS. You’ll notice it a great deal more since it’s always on. And as others have said can make a big car feel small.

Massage seats only in the 10 min intervals when you use it.

xahhax

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
I'm a bit surprised on RAS, most benefit seems parking..(which I don't care too much about)....but not spirited driving (mountain roads etc). Any noticeable difference there?

BurntToast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1986 944 turbo and 2022 Taycan GTS (soon)
Country flag
I have both and if I had to choose I'd pick RAS. It's helpful with parking and getting through tight spots and has saved my butt a few times.

ruartur

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Tesla X
Country flag
I don’t have RAS in NYC and I’m fine. I had an SUV before so I don’t have a problem with a big car. You will not need it in Texas. I have massage seats and I like them. This is an option that you will actually experience and feel when you use it. I’m not sure you will feel the difference with RAS in Texas.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
First had a T4 without RAS. Now have a GTS with RAS. It was one of my reasons to buy a 2nd Taycan.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I don’t have RAS in NYC and I’m fine. I had an SUV before so I don’t have a problem with a big car. You will not need it in Texas.
+1
What you’re used to driving and what area you drive in make a big difference on the benefits of RAS.

Just as an example (not meant to pick on anyone) but @Windpower saying to get RAS because it helps for his driveway.

Well, I’m not sure how much that applies unless the person is also parking in his driveway (or something similar).

I pull into my 3+ car wide driveway off a 3+ car wide street and park in the middle of double garage with more than 6 feet on either side. I can guarantee that RAS would not make this easier. But that also doesn’t apply universally anymore than the tight garage and parking.

It’s just not as absolute as some make it out to be.
Sponsored