W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Does anyone plan to keep their car long term?

Im considering a Taycan as they seem great value atm.

Im not really into EV’s like most EV drivers seem to be, but I’ve always liked the look of the Taycan sport turismo. I was shocked when I seen how cheap they are used.

I’ve seen a lot about EV prices dropping on the news and on YouTube. But not really paid much attention due to my general lack of interest in EV’s.

My big concerns are battery health/longevity and extended warranty.

If I buy a 22 I will still have a year of warranty and 3 years extended is £3000.

The depreciation will still be heavy so I would be looking to keep the car long term.

My gut feeling is these cars work better as a company car or lease than a long term ownership proposition.

Would appreciate owner opinions rather than opinions on the EV threads on general car forums like pistonheads, which just descend into chaos.

Thanks
Grab a bargain!

Battery has a separate 8 year 100K miles warranty (inclusive of degradation tolerance) and the official Porsche warranty is worth its weight in gold (for all Porsches and not just Taycans).

I went from a 4S saloon to a GTS ST (I had the Panamera ST prior to either and wanted the ST body from the outset) and given depreciation projections the lack lustre enhancements from MY25 onwards I will be keeping my Taycan for much longer than normal. I'm a private owner and could have gone company route etc (perhaps I should have) but didn't. I personally think prices will stabilise if mildly recover as Porsche has created this problem - devaluing their own cars and therefore brand (I can't believe that the Macan EV sales won't be impacted now as a consequence of that - especially if you are a canny private buyer) - something they need to fix. VW finance are haemorrhaging cash given the residuals they committed to for PCP / lease contracts (makes me feel a little better knowing that).

I don't see a risk to a long term ownership plan. It's a buyers market so find the newest car to match your budget (MY23+ seems stable). It will take MY27 / 28 before the real step changes (solid state batteries) will come for EVs and so that would be my plan / target.
Sponsored

Taycan2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, EQS, Range Rover
Country flag
2 best luxury ev’s on the market
Taycan & lucid Air
Both amazing choices and head shoulders above the others despite some of the quirkiness.
Mercedes EQS? BMW i7? Rolls Royce Spectre? Way more luxurious than the Taycan.

Though I’d personally rather drive the Taycan most days - exceptions being when I have to drive to the airport (crappy range) and when it doesn’t work properly!

Blorpos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2021 Tesla Model Y LR
Country flag
On another thread we've talked about battery replacement costs and they look to be ~$30k USD at today's prices. TBH I expect that to come down over time with improvements in battery cost. We are in the early days of the EV transition after all. The use of silicon anodes could also increase range without adding cells.

BTW - My favorite click-bait "EV issue" involves EV fires. Happens so infrequently compared to ICE cars that it is amazing, but everyone gets bent out of shape anyway. Check out this recent article.

Don't get worried about every little issue hitting headlines today. The futures so bright I gotta wear shades :cool:

Honestly, it feels like the media has slowed down on the EV Fires bandwagon. They are now focused on the Cybertruck, FSD and by extension, the rest of Tesla.

I also feel like the Taycan gets a lot more respect due to it being a Porsche.

Rusty Griswald

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes E63
Country flag

Though I’d personally rather drive the Taycan most days - exceptions being when I have to drive to the airport (crappy range) and when it doesn’t work properly!
Love both taycan and Lucid air however
speaking specifically about lucid
The lucid is better overall than the EQS and Beemer . Looks better/ much quicker/ better range. Killer rear seat room
Had an EQS it’s subpar overall.
Test drove both both beemers i4 and i7 before the Lucid. A mountain list of accolades below for Lucid.

https://lucidmotors.com/awards

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bailey.

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Amarok, Leon hybrid
Country flag
Not had a insurance quote yet.

I will check today.

Not expecting it to be worse than other cars I’ve had quotes on (R8, 991, m3 x drive)

Ive been trying to learn as much as I can as I’ve had no interest in EV’s before now.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag

Interesting.
I see you list an EQS and would expect it to be more luxurious for passengers, particularly back seat ones, but my Taycan CT4S with comfort, massage and ventilated seats and the extra 15mm of bump travel is extremely comfortable to drive and has, IMO, an excellent balance between handling and body control in Normal mode, is your EQS more luxurious to drive or just to be in?

I didn’t find the 18-way seats quite as comfortable and the small amount of extra support wasn’t enough to compensate for ventilation and massage not being available for them.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Love both taycan and Lucid air however
speaking specifically about lucid
The lucid is better overall than the EQS and Beemer . Looks better/ much quicker/ better range. Had an EQS it’s subpar overall.
Test drove both both beemers i4 and i7 before the Lucid. A mountain list of accolades below for Lucid.

https://lucidmotors.com/awards
I wouldn't buy a Lucid based just on who owns it, but that's me and my unique views. I also don't find them attractive (at least the two-tones) in the least, and I'd be worried about their longterm viability for warranty purposes - but by every account that matters, they've very, very impressive vehicles.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag

OP
OP

Bailey.

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Amarok, Leon hybrid
Country flag
Good to see you back Bailey.

Joking aside, do get an insurance quote. They are all over the place for Taycans in the UK.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/uk-insurance-madness.19828/
Ive read the horror stories.

Not looking forward to it but will check this evening.

Im guessing it is the battery replacement risk that pushes the price up?

Surely these cars aren’t a theft target?

Even 911’s aren’t compared to M and RS cars.

I guess this guy has a lot to answer for.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Ive read the horror stories.

Not looking forward to it but will check this evening.

Im guessing it is the battery replacement risk that pushes the price up?

Surely these cars aren’t a theft target?

Even 911’s aren’t compared to M and RS cars.

I guess this guy has a lot to answer for.
Very very few reported thefts of Taycans thankfully.

Cost of repairs and parts seems to be the issue for insurers currently.

But the insurance quotes vary widely from company to company and individual circumstances.
Admiral are popular on here (self included).

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Very very few reported thefts of Taycans thankfully.

Cost of repairs and parts seems to be the issue for insurers currently.

But the insurance quotes vary widely from company to company and individual circumstances.
Admiral are popular on here (self included).
Widely is nae the word...randomly mehr like! £395 last year and £1,100 this renewal - same car same details. Theiving bar stewards the lot of them!

...I guess I'll shop around again as customer loyalty counts for nowt...sounds a bit like Porsche!

Mac Madsen

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Does anyone plan to keep their car long term?

Im considering a Taycan as they seem great value atm.

Im not really into EV’s like most EV drivers seem to be, but I’ve always liked the look of the Taycan sport turismo. I was shocked when I seen how cheap they are used.

I’ve seen a lot about EV prices dropping on the news and on YouTube. But not really paid much attention due to my general lack of interest in EV’s.

My big concerns are battery health/longevity and extended warranty.

If I buy a 22 I will still have a year of warranty and 3 years extended is £3000.

The depreciation will still be heavy so I would be looking to keep the car long term.

My gut feeling is these cars work better as a company car or lease than a long term ownership proposition.

Would appreciate owner opinions rather than opinions on the EV threads on general car forums like pistonheads, which just descend into chaos.

Thanks

After my last post 3 years ago on long term ownership and 3 trips from Copenhagen to southern Spain (3.300 km each way) I still plan to keep my car for a long time. It's still a beautiful car and it's a joy to drive for short trips as well as long roadtrips. However I'm tempted by the Redshift power upgrade - so if I were you I would look for a turbo or GTS if you can afford it.

I've done 44.000 in the car (I bike to work) and bought it from new. Never really had any issues with it (Porsche changed an aircon pressure valve on warranty a couple of years ago).

I would have no concerns if you can get a god deal on a newer preowned Taycan!

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...ycan-long-term-8-years.4360/page-3#post-60583

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024.
Country flag
Planning to keep my 07.2022 GTS up to the new (.1) GTS that is ca. 7 years distance. Depreciation flattens -at that timeframe- nicely and will sit in a brand new technology in my favorite GTS trim.
Was insist on 8% discount fortunately +saving huge amount of fuel parking and tax cost. Will see how about used prices around 2029. Up to that I really enjoy the car that brings me a MY25 992.2 GT3 allocation at MSRP as a kind of compensation buying a (recently) high depreciation Taycan (and offsets fleet emission /GT3).
Traveling relatively long trips (Central-Western Europe) is awesome, Ionity, Smatrics and some other 350kW companies available almost every 100km (and developing fast) stopping at each 270-320km for ca. 20min is absolutely fine with me. I was stopping with ICE very similar time and distance counting toilet and coffee time.
Everyday life is much easier forgetting frequent filling station visits.

Last edited:

Murdo85

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Came from a very thirsty 2018 Macan Turbo and collected my 2020 4S with 13k miles just 2 weeks ago and hand on heart absolutely loving it.

Negotiated a cracking deal. It still has over 4 years of battery warranty and came with the OPC 2 years which I'm extending to 3 years as that's how long I anticipate I'll have it as a minimum.

Once the battery warranty is coming to an end I'll look to change it; at this point I'd most definitely say to another Taycan.

Like many others here, I'll be lucky if I do 50miles per day, so it suits me perfectly.

If it suits your daily then I'd say 100% go for it, there are some great deals to be had. I haggled for about 2 weeks and was eventually asked "What would win your business" I asked for what I wanted and go it :)

Good luck!

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
I plan to keep my Turbo long term, too.
Battery should last 10+ years. Car's phantastic and the '21/'22s don't yet have the EU surveillance.
Sponsored