Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Mine will be gone the earlier of: (1) a substantial leap in technology; or (2) expiration of the available warranty. EVs are the new iPhones . . .
Never really understand this sort of comment.

Why are they more iPhone-esque than ICE?

You're either someone who has to have new shiny all the time, or you accept that something still functions perfectly for your needs.

If a six figure car covers my needs now, I buy it. If it doesn't, I don't. And a newer, shinier model doesn't change the fact that the old one covers my needs (unless those needs change markedly... But in 1, 3 or 5 years that's on me).

The iPhone thing is a mindset issue. And if you have it on iPhone, you'll be like it on everything. A consumerist economy and shareholders of Apple will adore you for it 😍
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Does anyone plan to keep their car long term? Im considering a Taycan as they seem great value atm.
I keep mine, because it fits the my use case. If you like a georgeous looking car (all the other Taycans I now freequently see on the roads are by far the best looking cars) with short trips around town, then go for it. Nothing drives like this, but the small battery and limited range makes it not great for long distance trips...

After over almost 4 years, I still think it's the best car I ever had, but it does lack 2 things:

1. Self driving features, the ACC from 2010 is by now just a joke.
2. The battery compare to my Zeekr 001 (140 kWh) is just too small.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag

You're either someone who has to have new shiny all the time, or you accept that something still functions perfectly for your needs.
Well, I agree with all cars in general, but since I drive my Zeekr 001 with 140kWh and 1000km range in city driving, a large battery in the car is a game changer. Hard to describe what a difference it makes and has way much of an impact than a new @phone with bigger battery lasting 2 days but one.

Porsche Taycan Taycan as a long term car? Screenshot_20240522_180808

Last edited:

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Battery degradation is a real concern for most of us i guess, especially if you plan to keep it for a while (as i do). Im still very much and EV newbie and i've no idea how older Tesla batteries have fared. Moreover, i don't know if other brands have similar redundant capacity as the Taycan. But i do wonder whether degradation may be a lot less than the -30% the 8 year battery warranty covers. Perhaps we are worrying about nothing...

Side issue -i wonder if there will be a way to release the excess capacity when SoH does start to become an issue.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Never really understand this sort of comment.

If a six figure car covers my needs now, I buy it. If it doesn't, I don't. And a newer, shinier model doesn't change the fact that the old one covers my needs (unless those needs change markedly... But in 1, 3 or 5 years that's on me).

The iPhone thing is a mindset issue. And if you have it on iPhone, you'll be like it on everything. A consumerist economy and shareholders of Apple will adore you for it 😍
Actually, this is doesn’t describe me at all. And I don’t think this really gets my point. My 911 is 18 years old. I love it. I don’t think I’ll ever sell it or get a different 911. The changes to the 911 are material, but incremental. When I drive the new 911s, they are “better”, but fundamentally the same. In fact, I would go so far as saying that my normally aspirated manual with the power kit and 9K redline is better at the core reasons why I like it than the turbo. It is not a software driven car in any way. In fact, I’m not sure it even can be “updated.” Maintenance is also a more defined thing. The second something on this car is the least bit wonky, even from an aesthetics standpoint, I replace it with Porsche OEM parts. But it is a KNOWN and KNOWABLE cost. In the worst case of a blown motor or a blown transmission, I can easily afford a new Porsche OEM replacement, which is surprisingly inexpensive.

The Taycan is the opposite. Everything is new and everything is subject to breathtaking changes/improvements. Just look at the range improvements on this first “refresh “. This car is also highly, highly software driven and that makes the hardware subject to becoming outdated. Now my garage door openers no longer work because the update was designed for the new model that has hard buttons. How long will Porsche successfully support old models and old software when they struggle with current software? Also, repairs can be unexpectedly eye watering, and there may not even be techs available to repair. And the cost of a full battery swap would be eyewatering indeed. I love the Taycan, but I would never, for these reasons, ever treat it as anything other than an iPhone. Imagine saying that you are going to have and to hold your iPhone 8 for long term. You just wouldn’t because the improvements since then (eg, camera) are incredible and Apple does a lousy job of supporting the older models. I love my Taycan but I’ll not have it beyond the available warranty period . . .

so, not about some mythical mindset but rather simple practicality.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Does anyone plan to keep their car long term?

Im considering a Taycan as they seem great value atm.

Im not really into EV’s like most EV drivers seem to be, but I’ve always liked the look of the Taycan sport turismo. I was shocked when I seen how cheap they are used.

I’ve seen a lot about EV prices dropping on the news and on YouTube. But not really paid much attention due to my general lack of interest in EV’s.

My big concerns are battery health/longevity and extended warranty.

If I buy a 22 I will still have a year of warranty and 3 years extended is £3000.

The depreciation will still be heavy so I would be looking to keep the car long term.

My gut feeling is these cars work better as a company car or lease than a long term ownership proposition.

Would appreciate owner opinions rather than opinions on the EV threads on general car forums like pistonheads, which just descend into chaos.

Thanks
I plan to keep mine a long time.
I usually keep a car at least 6 years but have two that I have owned for around 30 years since I still like them.

I first was intrigued by electric when I found the instant throttle response of a PHEV Prius on electric was similar, if not as strong, to my Ferrari in optimum gear, so better since the time wasted by a gearchange wasn’t needed.

The Taycan doesn’t suffer any of the worst characteristics inevitable with any IC engine, like noise, clutch and never being in the optimum gear.

I think a lot of bollox is spread about batteries, ignorance is rife.
Perhaps based on the pitiful life of batteries fitted to recent Apple products but I think with charge strategy optimised for life (rather than profit) the battery of an EV is probably going to have the life of an IC engine.

I bought a Prius in 2005, my daughter still uses it and it is still on its original hybrid traction battery 19 years later, though it needs a new lead acid 12V auxiliary battery every 4 to 5 years.

The Taycan is wider and heavier than I ideally like but the throttle response and handling make it the best overall car I own.
FWIW in rural Oxfordshire I rarely get chance of full throttle, even then not for long, so more power than my CT4S would be pointless but my car is definitely notably better to drive (I have rear wheel steer, torque vectoring and active roll bars) than a loan car I drove without.

Hope you have luck, at the moment there aren’t any Taycans for sale in the UK with enough of my must have options for me to buy a used one.

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2024 -4S , GT3
Country flag
I thought about buying my highly spec'd MY21 RWD car at the end of lease(8/24). It has over $30k in options, which would be nice to enjoy over the next few years in addition to the original lease term.

I have decided not to acquire for the following reasons:
  1. The projected depreciation is too steep to justify driving a 3 year car. PCNA projected the lease residual to be $38K by 6/25. The 8/24 buyout is $54K.
  2. Additional warranty cost added to the the depreciation cost in #1.
  3. Battery degradation is noticeable, especially in the winter.
  4. Inconvenience of recalls. I lost count but must be over twelve by now.
  5. Public charging infrastructure makes this a local car. I have never road tripped it.
I have enjoyed my driving experience, however everything comes to end and it is time for me to move on.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I keep mine, because it fits the my use case. If you like a georgeous looking car (all the other Taycans I now freequently see on the roads are by far the best looking cars) with short trips around town, then go for it. Nothing drives like this, but the small battery and limited range makes it not great for long distance trips...

After over almost 4 years, I still think it's the best car I ever had, but it does lack 2 things:

1. Self driving features, the ACC from 2010 is by now just a joke.
2. The battery compare to my Zeekr 001 (140 kWh) is just too small.
I keep coming back to the car's looks. Whenever I see one out and about, I'm still very impressed now 2+ years into my own ownership.

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
I plan to keep mine up to the expiry of the 8 year battery warranty - unless there's a significant leap in technology AND there's an incentive to swap. In the past I've always changed cars every 3 years but the Taycan suits my needs perfectly - driving experience, running costs, space for family trips. Even the (lack of) range doesn't bother me because I mainly charge at home and on road trips we can always find somewhere to charge.

Uknown

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY20
Country flag
I’ve got a 2021 Turbo S which I plan on keeping for the long term as I do with most of my cars. It’s a fantastic vehicle. By the time it’s time to replace the battery, I’m sure there will be cheaper alternatives on the market vs the current crazy dealer prices. Maybe even an upgrade battery pack by that time.
I have been pondering this market of battery’s in the future, and I am a little skeptical since the architecture seems so integrated. Would make more inclined to order new if there was a real investment in replacement advancing or not costing the value of the vehicle after 3 years. regardless I am super happy with my 2020 4S

TXSchnee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Taycan CT 4S, '24 BMW XM, '23 Honda Ridgeline
Country flag
A year and a half in to owning my CT 4S and I still love it. It is quick, and comfortable while also being extremely practical for rear seat passengers and has a very nice sized cargo area. I usually get the itch to get a new vehicle about every 4 years, but plan on keeping mine at least 5-6 years, and possibly longer depending on battery health/range and just general reliability. It really is a great car.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Does anyone plan to keep their car long term?

Im considering a Taycan as they seem great value atm.

Im not really into EV’s like most EV drivers seem to be, but I’ve always liked the look of the Taycan sport turismo. I was shocked when I seen how cheap they are used.

I’ve seen a lot about EV prices dropping on the news and on YouTube. But not really paid much attention due to my general lack of interest in EV’s.

My big concerns are battery health/longevity and extended warranty.

If I buy a 22 I will still have a year of warranty and 3 years extended is £3000.

The depreciation will still be heavy so I would be looking to keep the car long term.

My gut feeling is these cars work better as a company car or lease than a long term ownership proposition.

Would appreciate owner opinions rather than opinions on the EV threads on general car forums like pistonheads, which just descend into chaos.

Thanks
since all cars built these days rely heavily on computers to operate I don't see any car that is good for long term ownership. the costs of repair when one of the many systems that are essential fail can be extremely costly. loss of range over time is a minor but concerning issue as well.
because of the tech and potential issues with that tech I do not keep any car if it goes out of warranty.
the last car that I kept for an extended period was a MB diesel, it was a '95, very low tech and I drove it for 12+ years putting over 250k miles on it.
to sound like an old fart, they just don't build them like they used to.

to sum up, for me it makes more sense to lease cars for 3 years or so.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
since all cars built these days rely heavily on computers to operate I don't see any car that is good for long term ownership. the costs of repair when one of the many systems that are essential fail can be extremely costly. loss of range over time is a minor but concerning issue as well.
because of the tech and potential issues with that tech I do not keep any car if it goes out of warranty.
the last car that I kept for an extended period was a MB diesel, it was a '95, very low tech and I drove it for 12+ years putting over 250k miles on it.
to sound like an old fart, they just don't build them like they used to.

to sum up, for me it makes more sense to lease cars for 3 years or so.
My thoughts exactly, although I would keep up to the point of the end of my factory warranty. If they could extend past lease period, sure, maybe. Now, that's not meant to say I don't like my Taycan because I do, and I might even replace it with another. But for a car this expensive with such high repair costs, I would in no way keep it out of warranty. I mean, it's not like a Prius where you could keep it past warranty and it would probably work great and in the off chance you needed an expensive repair, you could just choose to bin the whole thing without too much heartache. Not the same with the Taycan. Sort of like all of those Black MB versions. Super expensive when new but now super cheap used and you would be semi crazy to buy one because repairs are astronomical

Gra13

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo 4s
Country flag
Go for it, I bought a 4S ST new 1 year ago as a retirement present to myself, I intend to keep it 10 years, I have no concerns of battery life, they will be good for 200k+ with only a 10 to 20 % battery degradation, by then there will be chargers on every street corner and at all petrol stations. Running costs and servicing cost are substationally lower when charged at home. After 1 year I have seen no change in range so a second hand car is a great cost saving, so I don’t think you have any reason to worry about future losses as they will be no different than any ICE over 5 or 6 years.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I plan to keep my Turbo S for 7 years - the extent of my warrantee. I've always ordered the exact car I want (2012 E60 M5 kept for 100K+ miles and 8yrs, then 2012 Panamera GTS kept for 8 years and 100K+ miles) and have driven it for 100K+ miles. I do this because I drive exactly the car I want for a long time, and I don't have to worry about the depreciation. My Turbo S has depreciated some 65% in the 3-1/2 years I've owned it (I'm including the cost of extended warrantee, wheel and tire package, full PPF wrap and remote radar/laser), so I'm driving for another 3-1/2 years with minimal depreciation! I don't understand those who buy a new car every three years. I'm really just getting to appreciate my car by that time. Plus you are taking an absolutely massive hit on depreciation.

Specifically for the Taycan, there are definite concerns over the battery - I'm having mine replaced after an earlier module repair. But, my dealer and Porsche have been excellent and based on my history with them I believe this relationship will continue to be good. For the next 3-1/2 years I'm driving what I believe is one of the most beautiful cars on the road, and the best I've ever driven. If you really love a car, and you have a good warranty and dealer, why would you want to sell it?
Sponsored