Leawood CT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
I'm with you, except why space based? Battery filled blimps with automatically aiming lasers. Blimps are way greener than satellites. Blimps built and operated by the teams too, with battery size limits. Perhaps even use smaller lasers to real time pre-warm the road track ahead of the car for better traction! Now drafting has additional advantages, you get to roll over surface preheated by competitor laser. No shooting competitors or burning holes in their cars, tires, or blimps though, or boiling surfaces in front of them. Bonus, advertising space on the blimps!
This. Sports are always better when blimps are involved!

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Thank you Dave. You taught me a great deal. There is no better way to say thank you other than to convey - you made a difference. Good luck with you journey.

I am right behind you. My Taycan has been fun and will be missed, however the negatives now outweigh the positives with original price/depreciation being at the forefront.

I have narrowed down my next EV to either the Model S or I4 M50. Not as great as the Taycan, but for almost 50% less, they both deserve a look.
I4 M50 is my "alternative" plan if Macan EV doesn't work out...for some reason

Fun TC Driving

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 C8 Z06, 2024 iX M60
Country flag
Thanks for all your contributions. If you have already shared your Macan EV build on another forum, would you please link it, or just share here its build configuration. Thank you so much Dave for all.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
I4 M50 is my "alternative" plan if Macan EV doesn't work out...for some reason
I saw the rear bumper/diffuser of the i4 M50 and now can't unsee it. Completely ruined the car as a possible purchase for me until BMW does a redesign.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Well team given some unrelate matters in terms of my automotive fleet it made sense the other day to trade in my lovely 2020 Taycan Turbo for which I've had a great time…I do not foresee acquiring another Taycan but am planning to obtain a Macan EV and have an allocation and commission number - but accurate delivery dates for that beast are pure speculation at this time - I have every confidence Porsche will deliver Macan EV's "'eventually" but I lack confidence in any of the current dates - I believe even money bets could be made around certainly 3 or more month delay's but less than a full 12 month delay for first Macan EV deliveries in North America…

39,960 miles later I'm going to miss my Taycann - warranty runs out in July of 2024 - but it was going away at some point between when I ordered the Macan EV and actual delivery of the Macan EV - it was never going to be a "keeper" - and other unrelated issues forced my hand last week and it made sense to dump the Taycan at that time…so it wasn't a matter of "if" the Taycan was going away, but when - and it turned out last Saturday was the "win" (sic - a bit of fun with words - I know it should've been "when").

I'll keep everyone up to date on my person journey in this space -at the end of the day I think a Macan EV is a better fit for me going forward vs. a refreshed Taycan (no matter how impressive the new Taycan is which is 100% is impressive)…

my personal participation in this community has been wonderful for me personally and I look forward to continuing to contribute where I can, but will no longer have a Taycan at my disposal to personally test or testify as to various details or facts…

I'm hope to to transition successfully to a continued presence as a happy Macan EV owners - but there is a long ways from here to there and recent events in my personal life have taught me that a lot can change, best laid plans, and life is what happens while you're making other plans - yeah life goes that way…

NOTE: in my personal case the lack of providing the PMCC/PMC+ along with my trade in would have lowered the trade in price by the cost of replacement - I'm close with my dealer and queried them on this - and yes they admit there is lax enforcement - but being a silly-con valley dealer and suffering with a higher proportion of EV owners and awareness they are savvy to the cost of failing to "request" this item during trade in if it was included with the original vehicle - the also state this is a topic of conversation and growing awareness among dealership's in North America - selling your PMC+/PMCC because you no longer use it may become and expensive mistake at trade in time once all Porsche dealers realize the cost of replacement for accepting a trade with out this OEM item…my advice has always been, and based on specific experience to keep your vendor provided EVSE even if you're not using it - because if it was provided when you took delivery, it can be requested/required when you trade it in (no different than the 2nd key if you got one) - YMMV.

Note: my Macan EV plan is to pick it up in Porsche Experience center Atlanta and road trip it home. Can you say future forum trip report with full details from an experience Porsche EV owner? I knew you could! At least 2557 miles - but probably more cause we'll take some detours on the way home.

don't cry for me Taycan forum - I'm not suffering - this is my "alternate" to my Taycan…until my Macan EV shows up…yeah I'll need all the help I can get - please contribute to my go-fund-me link :CWL:

IMG_1757.jpeg
We will miss your forum contributions!

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
@daveo4EV I owe you not just almost everything I've learned about charging, but indeed my presence on this forum: I had been a contentded anonymous lurker for ~1/2 year until one of your sharper criticisms of Porsche made me create yet another account. (As we know, anger is the stronger emotion.)

It's been great reading your posts on any and all topics, and an absolute pleasure to meet you in person. You will be missed here, but who knows, maybe I'm lurking on the Macan EV forums scouting for my future car, gently used, to be bought fly-n-drive from Santa Cruz. (It'd be my second on that particular route.)

Wishing you the very best.

Last edited:

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I love this forum and it's members - both those members I've had the honor of meeting in person (or talking on the phone) and those who just lurk or interact…

my goals has always been sharing is caring - LOL - and even when I'm wrong - moving on with the new and better information…

EV's are the future (my belief) but it requires people to understand some 'things' - they fascinate me - EV's have replaced my computer fascination that started with my Atari 800 in 1980's, the Macintosh and others…

you'll find me where there is new and interesting - pushing, probing and attempting to "understand" through first hand experience and embarassing public gaffs…

but at the end of the day it's the people that matter - but the devices are a fun way to meet them.

I deeply enjoy meeting other "owners" with shared interests…

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Dave - Thanks so much for all your posts. As others have already commented, I learned a lot from you and its made owning my Taycan a much better experience.

The next time you come through Seattle let me know and I’ll set up another meetup with some of the Taycan owners up here. It would be great to catch up on your adventures with the Macan face-to-face.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well team given some unrelate matters in terms of my automotive fleet it made sense the other day to trade in my lovely 2020 Taycan Turbo for which I've had a great time…
So the Taycan went in as a trade-in against the Macan EV? I thought that the trade-in would only happen when the new car arrived, but perhaps you traded in against some other vehicle?

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
So the Taycan went in as a trade-in against the Macan EV? I thought that the trade-in would only happen when the new car arrived, but perhaps you traded in against some other vehicle?
I think Dave is trying to stay ahead of the merciless depreciation, and traded his car in for “store credit”.

(ducks, runs)

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
:CWL:

My prediction is all Macan EV's will eventually be able to use the adapters, but not this year, and possibly the first model year might requireat least a dealer visit, if not new hardware like what it takes to enable plug-and-charge in 2020 Taycans.

IMHO, if I was Porsche, I would strongly look into negotiating with Tesla to accept EA plug-and-charge protocol for legacy Porsche cars, OR building and selling an active adapter, one which would authenticate CCS1 Porsche EV's using EA's plug-and-charge and translate to Tesla required protocol-augmentation/authentication. They might have to negotiate with Elon, perhaps even lock the adapter to only work with only one model or even a single VIN. This would allow Porsche to enable any plug-and-play CCS1 car, so a single, independent project development, rather than 3 separate legacy retrofit projects (old Taycan, new Taycan, Macan EV). Independent means lower risk, lower cost. It would give Porsche time to develops native NACS for new Taycan and Macan. Heck they could even outsource this development as it has little to no dependencies on Porsche IP.
In one of his recent vidoes (about charging a Ford lightning on a supercharger), Kyle Conner mentioned that most Tesla V3+ superchargers do support the same certificate based plug and charged protocol (ISO 15118) as EA (but also support the legacy Tesla method which i believe just uses MAC address). So "under the covers", the CCS cars communicate with Tesla supercharges using the same CCS protocols; its really just the plug that's different. This is also why CCS cars (Fords in this case since they are the first ones to be allowed access), can't use every V3 supercharger; the superchargers have to have a software update to support ISO 15118 style plug and charge. For these reasons, I do think its in the realm of possibility that even gen 1 Taycans could eventually charge on superchargers with an adapter.

After watching a few videos about charging Fords on a supercharger, it does seem more like a novelty than truly useful at this point given the short cable length and layout of superchargers makes it tricky to physically get the cable to reach for many non-Tesla vehicles. (one of kyle's videos made this point by driving their Ford lghtning onto a concrete median to get it close enough to reach)... Plus there's the aforementioned confusion about which Supercharges will actually work. Ford's solution is to have customers use thier built-in nav to find support superchargers but, predictably, its buggy (and we can only imagine what a mess VAG (Cariad) will make of it. Supposedly Tesla is in the process of retrofitting longer cables, but that will take time. Point is, I dont think we're missing much at this point.
Sponsored

Last edited: