Taycan RWD

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I have a 2021 RWD, love the driving dynamic, however is so slow, 0-60 5.1 sec. The only EVs that can beat are Nissan Leaf and Chevy Bolt and perhaps the smaller battery Model Y which is embarrassing. I heard that the new RWD have different acceleration mappin that makes the car feel faster. Has anyone asked the dealer for throttle mapping update?
Sponsored

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
See this post. Note that remapping the throttle won't make the car faster!

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
I agree with you. Its quite embarrassing that Porsche made a car so slow. Really kind of embarrassing for the Porsche brand as well…

rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Audi A3 TFSIe Hybrid, Porsche 964 (gone..)
Country flag
I have a 2021 RWD, love the driving dynamic, however is so slow, 0-60 5.1 sec. The only EVs that can beat are Nissan Leaf and Chevy Bolt and perhaps the smaller battery Model Y which is embarrassing. I heard that the new RWD have different acceleration mappin that makes the car feel faster. Has anyone asked the dealer for throttle mapping update?
If you think the base RWD is slow, I don't think you can be driving it properly.

The 0-60 times for the RWD are exactly the same as the first generation 997. Did Porsche sell those as a slow car? Sure, it may be slow compared with other electric cars, but do you want your passengers throwing up every time you give them a demonstration?

I'm not in the slightest embarrassed driving mine. And it's not just off the line it's impressive - the way it pulls at motorway speeds is equally dramatic, and potentially licence-damaging.

We've all become accustomed to sub-3 second 0-60 times now, but cast your memory back 20 years and you had to shell out serious money to get those speeds.

There's more to driving than traffic light battles, but then I am in the UK 😆

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2024 -4S , GT3
Country flag
I have owned multiple 911's and have a GT car currently, I have never launched any of these vehicles. All that matters to me is acceleration from 20mph to 70mph: The RWD is plenty fast for my two objectives: 1) Retaining my license and, 2) staying out of jail.

As an aside, the RWD has been tested by multiple reviewers at sub 5 sec 0-60 times. The folks over at Zero to 60 Times has it listed at 4.7 and that sounds about right to me.

Donlam

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-Tron, Porsche Taycan rwd 23
Country flag
I agree with you. Its quite embarrassing that Porsche made a car so slow. Really kind of embarrassing for the Porsche brand as well…
You might need a jet engine style in the American straight line traffic. My Taycan is more than enough for me here both on highways and city roads. It is much faster than my e-tron SUV.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Personally, for the way I use my CT4S 99% of the time, the RWD acceleration would have been more than enough to meet my needs. If I had to, I could have given up my 1% use case (infrequent boy racer).

For you RWD owners, what is your use case that reveals an acceleration deficiency?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
The RWD is plenty fast for my two objectives: 1) Retaining my license and, 2) staying out of jail.
That makes no sense. You could easily lose your license and/or go to jail with a RWD and you could also easily not with a higher trim.

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2024 -4S , GT3
Country flag
That makes no sense. You could easily lose your license and/or go to jail with a RWD and you could also easily not with a higher trim.
I have found that when I am driving a faster car, I tend to drive a bit more aggressively. When I am driving the Taycan, the drive is a bit more relaxed due to the lower hp and torque.

ODC

First Name
Olivier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo
Country flag
Every time that I read that the Taycan RWD is much slower than the 4S I'm always thinking by myself if those drivers are constantly doing kick downs?
Maybe people that are complaining about this are living somewhere without a lot of cars and that you have the possibility to drive fast.

I had the possibility to test drive the RWD and 4S before I bought my one and yes on launch control it feels faster but how many times could you do that? I have my Taycan for about a week and although I wanted i didn't get the possibility to do any kickdown because of the traffic etc.
When driving the RWD in the normal way (how it's expected to drive a car) I find the difference with a Taycan 4s not that big.
Also I find the RWD more fun to drive because you can drift more easily. Requires more skill from the driver.

Personally i find the difference in feeling and enjoyment bigger between a Taycan RWD and a 911 4S then when comparing Taycan RWD vs Taycan 4s.

Also is it worth spending 20-30k more on a car for 1 second? That's something personal of course. On a 911 I would say yes but on the Taycan I would say no. I would spent that money on some nice options (Sport seats, Bose, panoramic roof....). But again it's something personal.

And if you think that 5 seconds is slow then my sir you had a lot of fast cars in your life. Majority what's driving on the road is still +10 second cars.
My real first sport car was an Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV and that car was 6.6S to 100km/h. In that time it felt super fast because I was coming from an Alfa Romeo MiTo. So I doubt that 5s for the Taycan RWD is slow.

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
While I do agree 20 years ago this would have been considered quick. Now a days it’s not enough. When I say not enough I am purely basing that off purchase price. For a 100k sports sedan to be substantially slower than 40k alternatives to me is unacceptable from Porsche. For everyone that is enjoying it more power to you and my words shouldn’t detract from your enjoyment. It’s still an amazing car.
However Porsche sandbagged every model of the Taycan power wise. To me for the price each model should have at least had the power of the next one up in the model line. I have never understood you only use this stop light to stop light. The power is very noticeable from any acceleration point where you spend all your driving time 10-35, 35-70, & etc.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
My RWD is a veritable snail off the line when compared to the Turbo S. But, its acceleration is still within striking distance of the 1987 Ferarri F40 which I have never heard anyone describe as a slow car. (And the Taycan is a nice family truckster with four doors and a backseat!) Perhaps the Turbo S and soon to be released Turbo GTS will get clumped into the "embarrassingly slow" car category once Mr. Musk releases his sub one second 0-60 roadster with SpaceX designed rocket thrusters. It's all relative.

https://accelerationtimes.com/models/ferrari-f40

Giulio

First Name
GIULIO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACAN S, TAYCAN RWD
Country flag
While I do agree 20 years ago this would have been considered quick. Now a days it’s not enough. When I say not enough I am purely basing that off purchase price. For a 100k sports sedan to be substantially slower than 40k alternatives to me is unacceptable from Porsche. For everyone that is enjoying it more power to you and my words shouldn’t detract from your enjoyment. It’s still an amazing car.
However Porsche sandbagged every model of the Taycan power wise. To me for the price each model should have at least had the power of the next one up in the model line. I have never understood you only use this stop light to stop light. The power is very noticeable from any acceleration point where you spend all your driving time 10-35, 35-70, & etc.
[/QUOTE

Sorry, but I don't feel like the base model Panamera, Macan, Cayenne have more acceleration...ok, Taycan is electric and more is expected but I don't find it embarrassing or different from other Porsche base models.
Sponsored