Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Several times in my life I've had an order in for a 911 Turbo Cab, and the timing was always wrong. My Taycan Turbo order started off as a 911 Turbo Cab too actually. I think my kids are the correct age now - and working from home a cabriolet makes more sense.

I love the Taycan and love EV's, but I think I'd regret not getting the 911 cabriolet if I never get one. I know a bunch of you guys went from a 911 to a Taycan - has anyone done the opposite?

Specifically, I'm looking for a cabriolet experience. I need 4 seats and AWD - and prefer Porsche as a brand - but otherwise am open to other ideas too. I won't be tracking the car. Looking for advice and suggestions :)
Sponsored

Jasper4S

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ST
Country flag
I was never in the position. But as you said, just do it, else you’ll always regret it. If you don’t like it, I’m sure any dealer will help you replace a 911 to a Taycan.

Andics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo MY24, GLE 300D
Country flag
Keep the taycan and get a used BMW M8 convertible :)

OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Keep the taycan and get a used BMW M8 convertible :)
M8 was on my original consideration list when I got the Taycan. It felt very big and sloppy (I know the Taycan probably weights more). Somehow the Bentley Continental convertible felt tighter and more controlled then the M8.

Andics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo MY24, GLE 300D
Country flag
I'd agree with that (I am coming from a convertible 850i); even the M8 is a nice cruiser, not in the league of 911 turbo or Bentley and definitely not a proper sports car, however, depreciation killed those cars too and if I had the space I'd have kept it as a convertible weekender alongside the Taycan!

OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'd agree with that (I am coming from a convertible 850i); even the M8 is a nice cruiser, not in the league of 911 turbo or Bentley and definitely not a proper sports car, however, depreciation killed those cars too and if I had the space I'd have kept it as a convertible weekender alongside the Taycan!
The 8-series was a car to lease (that way you don't get hit by depreciation). I remember seeing <$1k/mo leases for the M8 on lease hacker. With the kids, I mostly drive my wifes car these days (3-row SUV) - so I think I could really get by with just a convertible (as long as it has 4 seats for the rare times I'd take 2 kids somewhere, etc..).

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
It's no 911, but the Audi S5 convertible gives you four seats plus a turbo V6, as long as the rears are only occasional use as you mentioned.

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
I know it’s really out of left field but a 392 wrangler is the most fun daily I have ever had.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
Several times in my life I've had an order in for a 911 Turbo Cab, and the timing was always wrong. My Taycan Turbo order started off as a 911 Turbo Cab too actually. I think my kids are the correct age now - and working from home a cabriolet makes more sense.

I love the Taycan and love EV's, but I think I'd regret not getting the 911 cabriolet if I never get one. I know a bunch of you guys went from a 911 to a Taycan - has anyone done the opposite?

Specifically, I'm looking for a cabriolet experience. I need 4 seats and AWD - and prefer Porsche as a brand - but otherwise am open to other ideas too. I won't be tracking the car. Looking for advice and suggestions :)
I miss my 911S Cab ever day! They say there are 2 times you are happy as a boat owner:: The day you buy it and the day you sell it. A 911, on the other hand you will love every day you own it. But be careful, while you are sleeping, it's in the garage plotting to get you in serious trouble.

Now expect to see a bunch of pics from those lucky bastards that own both.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I moved from the Taycan (base) to the 911 (996, base-ish) last Thursday. Amazing feel, noise, manual gearbox/3-pedal experience. Then I moved back to the Taycan on Sunday, for a trip to the skiing area, and to the hardware store. It worked great today in traffic, too.

Tl;dr: I find it’s best to have one of each.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I personally would keep my eyes open for one of the gems that arrive from time to time on AutoKennel(.com) to get the analog experience and possibly not loose that much on deprecation. Although I would also try to do so without selling the Taycan.

Porsche Taycan Taycan to a 911 Cab? IMG_8819

Phil Prosapio

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST ‘22 acid green, 9114GTS’12, 76 Turbo
Country flag
Have a 997.2 4GTS manual cabriolet and love driving the car. Very different than the Taycan GTS, much more visceral. I live in central Minnesota and have an even colder climate than NYC. Can only drive the car here 6-7 months of the year. Are you planning on year round use?

Porsche Taycan Taycan to a 911 Cab? IMG_2288

Tucson_Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan turbo
Country flag
As long as you don't have anyone in those rear seats, you'll be fine. I miss my 2001 Turbo to this day.

Scott Allen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 911 Carrera S Cabriolet, 2017 Range Rover HSE, 1967 Camaro RS/SS 396
Country flag
I bought a 2006 911S cab in 2008 and still have it. Only 38,000 miles. I bought a 2020 Taycan Turbo in 2020 and have about 18,000 miles on it.
At this point I'm not getting rid of the 911, and it's a lot of fun to drive, but I find myself using the Taycan more.
A Turbo Cab might be more interesting. If I was trading the 911S Cab, I would go for a 911T, as I love the look.

Maybe buy an older 911 and keep the Taycan?